Not open for further replies.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Or

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander

I loved ‘Nifty Mittens’ but the trades done. There’s no do-overs.
Unfortunate. Omg big name let’s go crazy and buy into le hype machine! Us every time. This kind of crap shortened a few windows already yet we don’t learn. Big name ufa signings where you pay a premium based on past success rarely ever work out

Reactions: Beleafer34

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
only way I'm trading Nylander is if I'm getting back a guy that will grow into an elite defenseman and be with Toronto for a decade.

For example, if Ottawa wants to send locked up Thomas Chabot to Toronto for Nylander + Liljegren or Nylander + 15th overall, I'm in.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Unfortunate. Omg big name let’s go crazy and buy into le hype machine! Us every time. This kind of crap shortened a few windows already yet we don’t learn. Big name ufa signings where you pay a premium based on past success rarely ever work out
Don’t get me wrong, I endorse the John Tavares signing. I think he is going to bring fine value over the course of his contract. Even if a few years of it are on the wing.
He is good enough and has a track record of making other players better.
He’s actually the perfect guy to surround with either ELC or MIN contracts.
I think the window is still open and there will be more good value adds trialed until there’s a good fit.
The outcome sucked this year, but so did a lot of circumstances on the team.
I’m expecting better things next year and the year after with this core and this FO.
And if not, a piece from the core can be moved the year after and extract good value.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
only way I'm trading Nylander is if I'm getting back a guy that will grow into an elite defenseman and be with Toronto for a decade.

For example, if Ottawa wants to send locked up Thomas Chabot to Toronto for Nylander + Liljegren or Nylander + 15th overall, I'm in.
I also like the idea of getting #5 and maybe Norris, drafting Drysdale and maybe Schneider and signing Pietrangelo, and being done with this weak RD problem for 10+ years.
That is still a premium position after all these years, and isn’t changing anytime soon.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Don’t get me wrong, I endorse the John Tavares signing. I think he is going to bring fine value over the course of his contract. Even if a few years of it are on the wing.
He is good enough and has a track record of making other players better.
He’s actually the perfect guy to surround with either ELC or MIN contracts.
I think the window is still open and there will be more good value adds trialed until there’s a good fit.
The outcome sucked this year, but so did a lot of circumstances on the team.
I’m expecting better things next year and the year after with this core and this FO.
And if not, a piece from the core can be moved the year after and extract good value.
He’s not going to be able to live up to his contract for the duration of it. He brings about or at least will be bringing 8-9 million dollars worth of play. A JT signing was not what this team needed. They needed to stay the course with what they were working with and keep building internally a strong offensive but well balanced team that could shine in all areas. With Marner Marty and Willy it really was not a necessity.

Im hoping for better too but not going to get my hopes up until they can win a darn round in the playoffs

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
I do think that's a fair critique too. He shows flashes of it, but if he maintained a playing style with a bit more bite it would round out one of the last parts of his game that could change
I think its the only knock against this player as anyone in their right mind can see his skating, puck handling and possession and shot when he uses it is top notch, my only gripe is the one handed stick checks and pulling up on loose pucks to avoid body contact. Some games yes he is better.

Our guys have to realize that you also have to lay the body on the fore check to be successful, every other teams good players in all the playoff games I have watched finish their checks to create turn overs. If Nylander can adapt to add this to his game I'm sure NO one would have a negative to say.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He’s not going to be able to live up to his contract for the duration of it. He brings about or at least will be bringing 8-9 million dollars worth of play. A JT signing was not what this team needed. They needed to stay the course with what they were working with and keep building internally a strong offensive but well balanced team that could shine in all areas. With Marner Marty and Willy it really was not a necessity.

Im hoping for better too but not going to get my hopes up until they can win a darn round in the playoffs
If there was a hockey equivalent to WAR and associated monetary value, we could make a more concise case. We disagree by 20% value or so....I’m not gonna fret it.
He’s smart and cerebral on the ice. His added value of helping Mitch and Willie become Mitch and Willie, and making players better (an underutilized benefit in TO so far) augments it, and I think he’ll make an all-star winger too, so even at your valuation, that ability makes up the difference in my mind.
You see it differently which is fine, but I still see his addition as a premium player and asset for free.
I entirely agree that parts of the rebuild were neglected, but I understood the rationale; I would have rather seen all of JVR, Bozak and Gardiner moved for futures the year before they fled, but keeping them to build a winning culture was understandable and logical, given the excess value that the kids brought on their ELC’s.
Didn’t work out, but a few inches here or there those teams could have beaten Washington, Boston and Boston.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think its the only knock against this player as anyone in their right mind can see his skating, puck handling and possession and shot when he uses it is top notch, my only gripe is the one handed stick checks and pulling up on loose pucks to avoid body contact. Some games yes he is better.

Our guys have to realize that you also have to lay the body on the fore check to be successful, every other teams good players in all the playoff games I have watched finish their checks to create turn overs. If Nylander can adapt to add this to his game I'm sure NO one would have a negative to say.
Well said. If he adds some tenacity and better coverage in the D zone he’s almost perfect and untouchable.

Reactions: horner and Cobra777

horner

May 22, 2007
Less hits he takes the better. We need other players rounding out the lineup fir that. When we do it becomes a keep your head up game fir the skill players/ top guys too
It doesn't work in the playoffs.
To many of our players think the same way .
In the playoffs you need to go to another level.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There were several aspects of his game that were being fairly criticized.

It would seem that he has improved on several of those areas (playing on the perimeter for example) and is now receiving much less criticism.

There are still aspects of his game that need work, and hopefully he continues to improve.

As far as the 40/40 prediction.....I don't think he has it in him.
I think fairly is a word used loosely around here. He’s 24 and has been getting these criticisms the entire time after his rookie year. Thats a development curve time. He’s developed now. All the critics will just have to deal with how good he’s become. I guess the contract proven team friendly Is another crow to eat also.
The 40/40 is a guess. I think he can. I wouldn’t bicker over it. I hope so

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It doesn't work in the playoffs.
To many of our players think the same way .
In the playoffs you need to go to another level.
I know, he’s not going to be that player. We need it fir sure. He’s not overly physical. No big deal, some has come and just a bit more would be awesome. He and all our skill guys are good at what they do. Now it’s bottom six mix to bring it all together that needs change

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
42 pts in 45 games with Keefe and 23 goals in that time with Keefe. Thinking a good match and mutual respect building there.

It's amazing how much negativity there is here given how the team did with Keefe, even though they had their ups and downs with him didn't they still pace 105 points? Aka Babcock's best season and yet Dubas "destroyed this franchise." Yeah I'm mad about the playoffs but let's at least give Dubas a damn season with his guy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There are still those in the media that likes to whip him like a whipping boy, but there's been quite some talk about the failures of Marner too recently after getting ousted by the CBJs...the tide is turning...Marner is just not good enough for his contract. I think Willy is maturing into a great player...could skate like the wind...reminds me a bit of Barzal with his skating and core strength...has a great shot, doesn't mind going to the front of the net to score the dirty goals...I think he needs to be surrounded with some grit and toughness, not more soft players. C'mon Dubas.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Well said. If he adds some tenacity and better coverage in the D zone he’s almost perfect and untouchable.
Yes I totally agree with you, If guys like Kucherov, Bailey, Point, Marchand, Bergeron, Pasternak(one of his best buddies), Boeser, Horvat, Barzal, Pageau who also got into 2 fights lol, Gallagher etc can play with some bite, I see no reason why Willie can't. You seldom get hurt making the hit vs receiving it, but this also goes for the other guys as well.

You have to get angry sometimes as its a high adrenaline game. Mathews when he took the body a few times pasted them good, I wonder if his shoulder is fully healed, as man on fore checks if he decided to use his big body like Jamie Benn he would be at an entire other level as well.

Marner as well, Gallagher is no bigger but he plays like he is 6'2 in your face, body checks etc. Bottom line the guys making the big dough need to set example if it is their team as the core, you can't avoid physical and expect everyone else to get that done.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
[MOD]

I think he's a GREAT trade chip.

He's never going to be more than he is and has a front loaded contract money wise. I have no problem keeping him, but he's our best trade chip IMO and it's bound to happen also IMO.
Thats true. Great value if they decide to reallocate money to defensemen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He does take a beating from fans and media. But that’s because of the market he’s in.

anyone think he should center his own line? Spread the wealth around? Move marner up and down the lines through the game?
I don’t give media or fans a pass to just say whatever they want because its the market he’s in. In my market he’s improved nicely along the way and is just now hitting his prime.
Better things to come.

Reactions: aingefan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Keefe looks like he will be playing Nylander in 18-22 minutes range now. He will be loading more responsibility on him as well with the icetime. Should be fun to watch him turn in to a good veteran player/ leader. A couple years to peak I’m guessing. Yeah, I’m saying he is still developing.
42 pts 45games with Keefe and Keefe is hard on him too.

Reactions: saffronleaf

horner

May 22, 2007
I know, he’s not going to be that player. We need it fir sure. He’s not overly physical. No big deal, some has come and just a bit more would be awesome. He and all our skill guys are good at what they do. Now it’s bottom six mix to bring it all together that needs change
Our top 6 also needs to go to another level come olayoff time .
They need to all get the nodes dirty .
Go to the net
Untill they are are all willing to do it win won't win crap.
Boston
Columbus
Islanders
Will will run into these team ☹️

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
As long as he doesn't play Center he is a great player. It kind of reminds me when we traded for JVR and tried to move him to center. He was awful. But at wing he excels.

Please just play him at W and have him be an elite top 20 winger in the league for years to come.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think fairly is a word used loosely around here. He’s 24 and has been getting these criticisms the entire time after his rookie year. Thats a development curve time. He’s developed now. All the critics will just have to deal with how good he’s become. I guess the contract proven team friendly Is another crow to eat also.
The 40/40 is a guess. I think he can. I wouldn’t bicker over it. I hope so

That's true.....I try to ignore the lunatic fringe on either side of the fan spectrum.

IMO there are a number of posters that will post criticisms or strengths using reason and examples. So when I say "fair" criticism I am referring to that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No not at all. I’ve never seen an NHL player bail like Willy does.
Cool, this again. Nylander was 186th/409 forwards in hits taken this year. He was also #8 in scoring chances from high danger areas. I find it very hard to believe that a player who gets hit a league average amount and goes to the front of the net more than almost everybody else bails on contact more than any NHL player you've ever seen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Cool, this again. Nylander was 186th/409 forwards in hits taken this year. He was also #8 in scoring chances from high danger areas. I find it very hard to believe that a player who gets hit a league average amount and goes to the front of the net more than almost everybody else bails on contact more than any NHL player you've ever seen
He actually only does on high speed entries in to the corners. I see it and like it. These guys turning their back to the hit are complete idiots. You learn not to do that at 5 years old. He’s fine on close physical contact and getting better all the time. He’s just not going in first for someone to run him. I say keep doing it. What a excellent year and development progress he has had.

This is just the cusp of his prime now,just starting. This guy works on his game like a freak too and I believe most everyone knows that now. The center utility if needed is another layer of quality and presence he brings. He kicks arse on the faceoffs too.
This guy is a quality person and player. Awesome we have him.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Nylander still ends up being one of the less risk-taking offensive threats the Leafs have. For the amount he can handle the puck, he's way less likely to give it up compared to Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Rielly do for instance. That being said, Marner really didn't turn the puck over like usual in this last playoff series so maybe he's making progress.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Our top 6 also needs to go to another level come olayoff time .
They need to all get the nodes dirty .
Go to the net
Untill they are are all willing to do it win won't win crap.
Boston
Columbus
Islanders
Will will run into these team ☹️
Well I didn’t see Keefe or any coaches recently slam a banger on the wing of their top lines to get them going. It used to be a common tactic that rendered good success. Thing is too who does he have bottom six that can. We need them Bastards to play against in our bottom six for many reasons. Our bottom six doesn’t wear out anyone they play in a physical fashion. I get ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad