News Article: The Nylander Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I wonder who Morrison wanted instead of Biggs, who was drafted 22nd, not 21st as the article states. I assume it was either Morrow or Puempel. It wouldn't be worth mentioning he was overruled at 22 if he got his guy (Percy) at 25. Unless Burke overruled both selections.
Jenner maybe. Ducks done ok getting Rakell and gibson trading down with us ha. Chicago took Saad same draft with our pick. Lol bruins took Hamilton. I’m sorry i looked at it ha. Here is the link and its a great site for picks tracking.2011 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He already makes that contract look favourable. Id keep him around based on his productivity per dollars out.
I’ve talked trading him recently. That doesn’t mean i want to. He’s going to get much better under Keefe. Keefe is giving him the playing time and pushing him like he cares. Willy will like that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t hate him but I know he’s scared. He literally skates out of the way when he’s the first one going in the corner. Lots of skill, but scared.
Self perseveration is ok ha. Skill players are mostly like that

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No not at all. I’ve never seen an NHL player bail like Willy does.
Less hits he takes the better. We need other players rounding out the lineup fir that. When we do it becomes a keep your head up game fir the skill players/ top guys too

Reactions: Bust

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
[MOD]

I think he's a GREAT trade chip.

He's never going to be more than he is and has a front loaded contract money wise. I have no problem keeping him, but he's our best trade chip IMO and it's bound to happen also IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ACC1224

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I feel sorry for this kid. The amount of hate he gets is simply disgusting.

Do you remember the days when we were whining about other teams "home grown talents" and why we never have any of them? The Pohls, Johnny Mitchells, Simon Gamaches days?

I do.

Now we have him, and three other amazing forwards, but this kid is still special, and still only 24. Other teams would die to have him on their roster.

Leafs nation just dont deserve talents like him.

And what would they be Willying to give up? We have enough offense, what else does Willy bring?

And everyone just PLEASE look at his contract structure? Just have a look ok...... William Nylander - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Any team that is struggling financially is going to look at Nylander as way more valuable than he actually is. That could be what gets us the young Dman we want for example.

Funny people thought he was overpaid the second he finally signed, but a lot of people looked at the structure of that contract and immediately thought "future trade bait"

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don’t hate him but I know he’s scared. He literally skates out of the way when he’s the first one going in the corner. Lots of skill, but scared.

I've always seen that play style of his as a strength in his game, at least earlier in his career. He used to be so good at going into corners, avoiding a hit yet coming out with the puck because his stick work was so good.

But yeah, maybe that isn't working so well for him anymore I dunno.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I've always seen that play style of his as a strength in his game, at least earlier in his career. He used to be so good at going into corners, avoiding a hit yet coming out with the puck because his stick work was so good.

But yeah, maybe that isn't working so well for him anymore I dunno.
It’s excellent if he comes out with the puck, but unfortunately he avoids the puck to miss the hit

Reactions: horner

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There were several aspects of his game that were being fairly criticized.

It would seem that he has improved on several of those areas (playing on the perimeter for example) and is now receiving much less criticism.

There are still aspects of his game that need work, and hopefully he continues to improve.

As far as the 40/40 prediction.....I don't think he has it in him.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
He does take a beating from fans and media. But that’s because of the market he’s in.

anyone think he should center his own line? Spread the wealth around? Move marner up and down the lines through the game?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What if Nylander doesn't turn into a 2C? Then what?

Either use Kadri (who was a perfectly acceptable 2C) or hopefully the entire $11M JT got wasn't spent on magic beans and that could have be used.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Shoulda never signed JT.

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri

rest of the lineup can be filled accordingly with more depth all the way around
Or

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander

I loved ‘Nifty Mittens’ but the trades done. There’s no do-overs.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad