The Norris is Now A 5 Horse Race

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
It's pretty obvious. Josi is roughly the same offensively stats wise but Hughes controls play at a rate Josi can only dream of. A lot of Hughes' shifts is just the other team trying hopelessly to get the puck off him. He controls the play so much he barely spends any time in the defensive zone. A one man ice tilter.

Yeah he controls the play so well that he has still less goals and primary assist than Josi in a better team while having the puck roughly 40% more. It's cool to have a lot of possession and it's a nice stat for sure but I don't think it's fair to decide the Norris only on this.

And it does not explain that he has like a third of number of blocked shot that Josi has (according to this website Roman Josi - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools josi has 146 BKS vs 51 for Hughes).

Since people where talking about own zone start, Josi also has more.

Josi is a more complete player and he should win the Norris this year.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah he controls the play so well that he has still less goals and primary assist than Josi in a better team while having the puck roughly 40% more. It's cool to have a lot of possession and it's a nice stat for sure but I don't think it's fair to decide the Norris only on this.

And it does not explain that he has like a third of number of blocked shot that Josi has (according to this website Roman Josi - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools josi has 146 BKS vs 51 for Hughes).

You should reread what you said about cherry-picking stats and then look up the definition of "hypocrisy".

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
You should reread what you said about cherry-picking stats and then look up the definition of "hypocrisy".

Josi doesn't need as much time with the puck to do better than him. If that's an hypocrite conclusion, then please, add more salt on my fries :sarcasm:

Reactions: pouf pouf

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
When you look at pure defensive stats, it is not that obvious that Hughes should win.
View attachment 852002

Josi has more goals and more primary assists and he is doing that in a lesser team imo, I think he deserves it.
Looking at how Makar is used versus Hugher and Josi, I would NOT bet against him in the voting. Since not even god knows what determines the Norris and Selke votes this one seems too random.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
According to the pics I have posted earlier, Hughes and Josi have the same SH time/game (I think those stats are 10 days old). So, I would say it does not explain the difference.
It's merely style of play combined with how much time you spend in your own zone. Jaccob Slavin is arguably the best dmen in the league when it comes to pure defense and he has a whopping 120 blocks in 81 games and only had 103 blocks in 76 games last year and he plays more on the PK too.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Josi isn't a more complete player and nothing you said backs that up.
He's a stud don't get me wrong but Quinn having the puck 40% more of the time is a plus in Quinn's favour not a plus for Josi, I mean really think about what your saying.
The most important and best players on a team are the ones who impact the game so the fact that Quinn has the puck on his stick 40% more which means the opposing team has the puck less, the ice is literally tilting in Vancouver's favour because of him. Quinn's advanced stats have been posted enough on here so no need to waste energy on that but the bottom line is no dman this year is close in terms of positive metrics.

The year Cale won over Josi it was the same thing 23 goals and 85 points is fantastic but he's +12 and Quinn is +42, people can shit on that as much as they want but when comparing two Dmen who have similar points, play similar minutes against other teams top lines it's very relevant and shows that Quinn and his 40% more possession time is time Quinn is helping to keep the puck out of the net. Maybe Quinn would have more blocked shots like Josi if Quinn spent as much time without the puck instead of possessing it like Josi.

It's funny that Quinn who has 91 points likely wins the Norris because of how good he's been in the other areas, his growth the last two years is crazy.

Lastly as far as primary assists vs secondary that is such a weak argument considering most of those secondary assists were the reason the goals happened in the first place.

On the PP Quinn is seldom stationary and often walks the line and creates the space so who really cares since without him creating the chance somebody else wouldn't receive his pass to get the primary.

On 5on5 Quinn usually starts the scoring play from his end or skates it all the way down behind the other teams net and out the other side with multiple players drawn out of position and then passes it off. My point is there aren't a lot of cheap assists next to his name.

Sorry for the long explanation and I'm not trying to be an asshole but at the end of the day Quinn still has more points, better by a lot defensive metrics and an overall more impactful in all three zones and that's why most pundits who get to vote have said Quinn is their vote.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I totally agree with that idea but it falls short to explain such a big margin imo.
True there's no way to pinpoint the exact correlation but it stands to reason that if the puck is on your stick as much as Quinn's and most of that time is spent our of the dzone then there's less opportunity to block shots.

My previous post I hope didn't come across as condescending cuz that wasn't my intention it's just that for some reason (not you or preds fans in general) probably because he's a nuck and our fanbase has a lot of trolls there's a ton of people who are obsessed with him and go out of their way to shit on him and I get sucked into the shit swamp every time so if I came across as confrontational that wasn't my intention.

Both players are worthy of the Norris and both are studs.
I'm stoked that we likely face each other next week, it's been like 10 years since we've had a playoff game in Vancouver and Nashville is an awesome city and fanbase.
When we played in 2011 the atmosphere was nuts in both cities.
With this version of the Preds no longer known as just a defensive team but one that is 11th in GF along with a stud goalie is gonna make it even better.

Cheers.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Looking at how Makar is used versus Hugher and Josi, I would NOT bet against him in the voting. Since not even god knows what determines the Norris and Selke votes this one seems too random.
Honestly, Josi got the most 1st place votes 2 years ago and didn't win the Norris because some voters didn't have him in the top 5 because he didn't kill penalties. The Chicago voter didn't even have him on his ballet at all because of this. Too many people have votes that shouldn't.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Honestly, Josi got the moves 1st place votes 2 years ago and didn't win the Norris because some voters didn't have him in the top 5 because he didn't kill penalties. The Chicago voter didn't even have him on his ballet at all because of this. Too many people have votes that shouldn't.
with his late surge, Josi definitely put himself in the conversation for Norris, but the overall impact in the game that Hughes has on the canucks from game 1 puts him in even Hart consideration, Josi has more of an uneven season.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

Something tells me Swissfan would not care about Josi if Josi was not Swiss . :sarcasm:

Reactions: Burt Macklin

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
True there's no way to pinpoint the exact correlation but it stands to reason that if the puck is on your stick as much as Quinn's and most of that time is spent our of the dzone then there's less opportunity to block shots.

My previous post I hope didn't come across as condescending cuz that wasn't my intention it's just that for some reason (not you or preds fans in general) probably because he's a nuck and our fanbase has a lot of trolls there's a ton of people who are obsessed with him and go out of their way to shit on him and I get sucked into the shit swamp every time so if I came across as confrontational that wasn't my intention.

Both players are worthy of the Norris and both are studs.
I'm stoked that we likely face each other next week, it's been like 10 years since we've had a playoff game in Vancouver and Nashville is an awesome city and fanbase.
When we played in 2011 the atmosphere was nuts in both cities.
With this version of the Preds no longer known as just a defensive team but one that is 11th in GF along with a stud goalie is gonna make it even better.

Cheers.
1713294995474.png

1713295080349.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad