The Norris is Now A 5 Horse Race

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
It's very simple. As of now people have Hughes pegged as the Norris favourite. His metrics certainly indicate it's his to lose. I know that the Makar pundits will leap on this and they will probably have good arguments for doing so.

But with Nashville on an insane heater Josi is absolutely in the conversation. All of a sudden as well, from off season trade bait to potential Norris candidate Evan Bouchard is now in the mix with some surprisingly good numbers as well. Hedman is of course in there too as he should be with a solid season.

Look, I firmly believe that of all the top 5 Hughes has the best metrics from the start of the season and is probably the single most important factor in their teams success. Some of the better 5v5 numbers and is surprisingly defensively solid in a sea of comments about him being another Tyson Barrie

With Vancouver's offense drying up and them being less than the world beaters they were even 2 months ago; is this now an award that is Hughes' to lose?

I'd say the next 12 games across the league will be fun to watch for sure. Is Nashville's run sustainable for Josi? Does Hedman keep banking points and solid metrics based on his backing of Kucherov in an insane year? Is Bouchard really as good as his numbers indicate and with Makar having a down year in the advanced stats etc does he show us that second gear we've seen him use since he stepped in to the league?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 4.14.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 4.14.53 PM.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 4.14.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 4.14.22 PM.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: JackieDaytona

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice to see bouch included. His offensive totals are amazing and his d stats are very good. However, some choose to remember certain bad gaffes and assume he is trash. I've always felt the offensive Dman is very misunderstood by many on HF. Ftr. To me it's Hughes or Makar this year. Both amazing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Look at the underlying metrics. He's up there. Although Ekholm is as well. Both players in that pairing really benefit each other.
Being on the ice in favorable offensive situations with Ekholm as your partner and guys like McDavid/Draisaitl/Hyman/RNH will do that to your metrics. Not saying he isn’t a good player or doesn’t contribute to the team, but suggesting that he is in the running for best defenseman in the entire NHL is a whole other thing.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Heiskanen deserves consideration, but it's a point production award these days.

It's questionable how much value does a defenceman being so involved with the puck offensively brings to a team. Even the best guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar produce points at best at 2nd line forward scoring rate.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I'm not being too much of a homer with any Canucks player this year other than Hughes. He is simply a tier above everyone else on this roster and has, at numerous points, carried our record by himself. The rest of our roster has played above their heads and has numbers and success inflated beyond what is reasonable to expect from their play. Not Hughes. He's been the best defenseman in the league this year and a top 5 player, quite frankly.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How do you get 99% of 5
My job isn't to count the numbers it's to make them up

It means they're better than all 5 but one ;). Or all 5 if you round up.
Hughes and Josi literally have better defensive metrics than all 3 you named.
Okay. Would you claim the defensive metric thing if Hughes didn't have good one ? Lets like.... Last year ?

By what measure?
The measure that makes Hughes look good, of course.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Heiskanen deserves consideration, but it's a point production award these days.

It's questionable how much value does a defenceman being so involved with the puck offensively brings to a team. Even the best guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar produce points at best at 2nd line forward scoring rate.
Lol so much wrong with this.

Do you watch Canucks or Avs games? Do you understand that defense is more than just hits?

Both Makar and Hughes drive possession and break up plays at an elite level. It's crazy to me how good Hughes is at retrievals and exits under pressure. The worst thing you could say is that neither are elite in-zone at breaking up the cycle, which is only one aspect of defending. Thankfully, both don't have to worry about it very much because are so good at skating and handling the puck that opposing teams just don't get the opportunity to attack.

Also, 2nd line forward scoring rate? both Makar are on 90+ point paces, good for top 20 in NHL scoring for all skaters. Maybe you mean per 60? In that case there isn't a defenseman in the top 100 and there never is. Not sure what point you're trying to prove there.

Dobson, Macavoy and Heiskanen are probably better than 99% of these "5".
What's 99% of 5?

Reactions: wetcoast and Regal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol so much wrong with this.

Do you watch Canucks or Avs games? Do you understand that defense is more than just hits?

Both Makar and Hughes drive possession and break up plays at an elite level. It's crazy to me how good Hughes is at retrievals and exits under pressure. The worst thing you could say is that neither are elite in-zone at breaking up the cycle, which is only one aspect of defending. Thankfully, both don't have to worry about it very much because are so good at skating and handling the puck that opposing teams just don't get the opportunity to attack.

Also, 2nd line forward scoring rate? both Makar are on 90+ point paces, good for top 20 in NHL scoring for all skaters. Maybe you mean per 60? In that case there isn't a defenseman in the top 100 and there never is. Not sure what point you're trying to prove there.

What's 99% of 5?
Makar is just flat out better at defending than hughes, and he's also better offensively. Don't equate the two.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It's very simple. As of now people have Hughes pegged as the Norris favourite. His metrics certainly indicate it's his to lose. I know that the Makar pundits will leap on this and they will probably have good arguments for doing so.

Understatement of the century.

PS "5" is a strange way of spelling "1"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad