The NHL Trade Discussion Thread Part III (NHL & NJ deals, speculation, rumors, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
....and that didn't take long. Tampa gets Braydon Coburn for Radko Gudas, a 2015 1st, and a 3rd.

Perhaps interesting note in that I know the Kings were extremely high on Gudas. They had him in an undrafted invite for their prospect camp in 2009. If they had been allowed to, they would have signed him. But he went back into the draft pool for 2010 and the Kings weren't able to get him. Hextall came from the Kings, so maybe he had a long memory.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
....and that didn't take long. Tampa gets Braydon Coburn for Radko Gudas, a 2015 1st, and a 3rd.

Perhaps interesting note in that I know the Kings were extremely high on Gudas. They had him in an undrafted invite for their prospect camp in 2009. If they had been allowed to, they would have signed him. But he went back into the draft pool for 2010 and the Kings weren't able to get him. Hextall came from the Kings, so maybe he had a long memory.

What is TB smoking giving that much up for Coburn?

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Guess we're stuck with Ryder and probably Havlat. Only reasonable option for Zids is Detroit and maybe St. Louis, wouldn't be surprised to see us make no moves tomorrow.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What is TB smoking giving that much up for Coburn?

They did need to shore up their D, but yeah, seems like a high price. Not sure which first they gave up (their own, or NYR's). Combine it with the Connolly deal:

Gudas, Connolly, 1st rounder (~25th overall), 3rd rounder for Coburn, 2nd rounder (~40th overall), 2nd rounder (~45th overall).

Boil it down to Gudas/Connolly for Coburn and it doesn't sound as bad for a team aiming to go deep in the playoffs. Gudas might not be ready to go for the start of the playoffs either. Coburn is signed through next year; Yzerman seemed hesitant to make a deal for a rental.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder if Lou can entice a better package from Detroit if we take on one of their bad contracts. Like a good prospect(Pulks/Jurco) and they can get rid of Kindl.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
**** me, Flyers get an extra first out of that?

Zidlicky's gotta get us another first, he's just got to.

I dunno, Tampa was about the only team I could have seen doing it and they just spent it on Coburn. I thought Boston might have been willing to give up its two 2nds (including Philly's) for Zids, but they just spent it on Brett Connolly.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They did need to shore up their D, but yeah, seems like a high price. Not sure which first they gave up (their own, or NYR's). Combine it with the Connolly deal:

Gudas, Connolly, 1st rounder (~25th overall), 3rd rounder for Coburn, 2nd rounder (~40th overall), 2nd rounder (~45th overall).

Boil it down to Gudas/Connolly for Coburn and it doesn't sound as bad for a team aiming to go deep in the playoffs. Gudas might not be ready to go for the start of the playoffs either. Coburn is signed through next year; Yzerman seemed hesitant to make a deal for a rental.

Yzerman got played by hextall in this deal.
Coburn just aint that good.
Gudas is not bad and a #1 pick?

Hextall is accumulating picks for defenseman that were not in their plans. Good job by him.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Tampa still has a 1st round pick this year anyway and their team is pretty young so it's not a big loss to them.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I dunno, Tampa was about the only team I could have seen doing it and they just spent it on Coburn. I thought Boston might have been willing to give up its two 2nds (including Philly's) for Zids, but they just spent it on Brett Connolly.

What's Anaheim's situation like? I thought they needed a blue liner for a while. Detroit could be a possibility, hopefully.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What's Anaheim's situation like? I thought they needed a blue liner for a while. Detroit could be a possibility, hopefully.

Anaheim GM Bob Murray recounted a recent conversation with Detroit GM Ken Holland about the prices of rentals. Basically both GMs weren't ready to give up top prospects or first rounders for rentals.

Both could fit for Zids still, although I think Jeff Petry makes more sense for Detroit than Zids. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Vatanen's injured and right now Anaheim has Ben Lovejoy and Josh manson as their RD on their 2nd and 3rd pairs.

William Karlsson is someone from Anaheim that would be interesting.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Slight update on the Boston/Connolly deal. The two 2nds are Boston's 2015 and 2016. Bruins still own Philly's 2nd this year. Could still see a fit for Zidlicky with Boston as well.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Vatanen's injured and right now Anaheim has Ben Lovejoy and Josh manson as their RD on their 2nd and 3rd pairs.

William Karlsson is someone from Anaheim that would be interesting.

Didn't know Vatanen was injured. I guess that could be a possibility then.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The value for Zid probably isn't that high to begin with. He's 38 years old and clearly doesn't want to leave the Devils. Most of the other D who have moved are younger or have at least another year on their deals. Any team trading for Zid is basically trading for a couple months of him and that's probably it.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Just some smoke, but sounds like Lou is looking into the possibility of Reilly Smith from Boston...

Don't know what it would take to get a guy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad