The NHL Trade Discussion Thread Part II (NHL & NJ deals, speculation, rumors, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah they can't even take his salary back anyway so that's totally bogus. Worse putting him with Skinner who might actually be in trade talks.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I can only say wow.

Is this a good move for he leafs? Ya they get rid of Clarksons bad contract but now they have Horton's uninsured bad contraxt they have to pay out of pocket.

What a crazy deal though.

The leafs are swimming in cash , it's basically a 30M buyout of Clarkson, but now they can stick Horton on LTIR and open up the cap space.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The leafs are swimming in cash , it's basically a 30M buyout of Clarkson, but now they can stick Horton on LTIR and open up the cap space.

I don't see what the Jackets get out of it other than a live body. They're really that desperate for Clarkson? They're not saving much money and they lose the cap flexibility so Clarkson better contribute for them lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't see what the Jackets get out of it other than a live body. They're really that desperate for Clarkson? They're not saving any money and they lose the cap flexibility?

Desperate not to pay Horton to not play but ya I don't get it for them. Aren't they now paying Clarkson more then what Horton was making?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't see what the Jackets get out of it other than a live body. They're really that desperate for Clarkson? They're not saving much money and they lose the cap flexibility so Clarkson better contribute for them lol

CBJ aren't a cap team.

Clarkson can probably get up to .25 G per game out of Toronto.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014

Desperate not to pay Horton to not play but ya I don't get it for them. Aren't they now paying Clarkson more then what Horton was making?

I'm guessing that their thinking is that they would rather pay the money to a player that is playing and they're hoping Clarkson turns things around out of Toronto. It's pretty mind boggling.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Definitely an interesting trade that's for sure

One of the more interesting ones in a while

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

Horton gets 5.3 million until 2020.
Clarkson gets 5.25 million until 2020.

Clarkson is a 3rd liner. Horton is in the stands. So CBJ just saved the need to pay a 3rd line + the 50k in difference.

Plus who isn't going to root for Clarkson to become a 30g scorer again just to troll TOR?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The league is a joke. How is a player on LTR permitted to be traded? And the league had the nerve to punish the Devils. And for all the posters who claim only Toronto can afford to pay a player 6 million to stay at home I counter with the Rangers, Flyers and one or two other teams. Let's hope they fix this loophole.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'm also interested in what Clarkson has to say

If he had a NTC, obviously he approved, but he seemed pretty set on staying there and raising his family there

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Who is like Camm besides Camm? There's no way he's being traded, but why randomly mention him?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The league is a joke. How is a player on LTR permitted to be traded? And the league had the nerve to punish the Devils. And for all the posters who claim only Toronto can afford to pay a player 6 million to stay at home I counter with the Rangers, Flyers and one or two other teams. Let's hope they fix this loophole.

Agreed it shouldn't be allowed, though technically we traded a 'retired' Malakhov (and the league supposedly yelled at us for that, despite us GIVING UP a first-rounder).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Remember how crazy excited CBJ was when they signed Horton? That they finally got a big dog in UFA and were ready to be a top team for years to come?

Pretty bonkers that 18 months later it's turned into this.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Chris Kuc@ChrisKuc
#Blackhawks have upped ante in trade targets. Looking at players on level of Jeff Skinner and Mike Cammalleri. That type of player.

This was lost in the whole Clarkson thing ..

I'll probably get eaten alive for this, but i'd totally move Cammalleri to a contender if they were willing to pay a premium for him. I know it's unlikely since we just gave him a five year deal as a free agent, but if Chicago wanted to overpay for him i'd do it.

I know we need to add offense, not subtract it, but Cammalleri is already 32 and has shown a tendency to be rather injury prone. Even though he still produces at a high level, this team is still probably two or three seasons away from being a serious competitor, at which point he's going to be ~35 years old and not exactly in his peak years anymore; if we could get their 1st round pick in this deep draft and another solid asset (pick/prospect) i'd totally do that trade, we'd probably have to eat a cap dump like Bickell to make it work for them long term though.

Then again, i know many of you would not share this opinion :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thought Clarkson had a NMC. Did he waive it to leave Toronto?

Sounds like it. Listening to TSN Toronto radio and the guys noted that it was wearing on Clarkson to be the salary albatross. Fresh start + less media scrutiny in Columbus (perhaps ironically, those were some of the things that Nathan Horton wanted when he signed there).

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I'll probably get eaten alive for this, but i'd totally move Cammalleri to a contender if they were willing to pay a premium for him. I know it's unlikely since we just gave him a five year deal as a free agent, but if Chicago wanted to overpay for him i'd do it.

I know we need to add offense, not subtract it, but Cammalleri is already 32 and has shown a tendency to be rather injury prone. Even though he still produces at a high level, this team is still probably two or three seasons away from being a serious competitor, at which point he's going to be ~35 years old and not exactly in his peak years anymore; if we could get their 1st round pick in this deep draft and another solid asset (pick/prospect) i'd totally do that trade, we'd probably have to eat a cap dump like Bickell to make it work for them long term though.

I just know regardless of rebuild/transition w/e Lou calls it, he's gonna want to be able to compete.

Who scores on this team if we let him go ? Even if we get a guy like Shaw back and Bickell plus w/e prospects and picks.

Just doesn't make any sense to a GM who always wants to at the very least try and compete.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm also interested in what Clarkson has to say

If he had a NTC, obviously he approved, but he seemed pretty set on staying there and raising his family there

At this point he's probably glad to get out of the fishbowl now that he knows the grass isn't greener at home when home is Toronto :P

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

Their 1st+ B prospect or a 1st and a 2nd is enough for me to say bye to Camo, as much as I think he might be part of the long-term solution.

I'm guessing we'd have to take Bickell back as well.

I don't think our future timeline aligns well with Cammalleri's productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad