The NHL TRADE Discussion (NHL & NJ deals, speculation, rumors, etc.) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Watching all of these shows on these teams... this is a young man's game. The best players are under 30... many under 26. They have personalities, like to have a good time, and like to enjoy themselves. The way the Devils do things caters to vets that go to bed early and don't want the music too loud.

GhostofKenKlee

Watching all of these shows on these teams... this is a young man's game. The best players are under 30... many under 26. They have personalities, like to have a good time, and like to enjoy themselves. The way the Devils do things caters to vets that go to bed early and don't want the music too loud.

What is this hyperbole?

It's always been that way, the difference is there are things that exist now that didn't years ago. Twitter and other things, if that's a deal breaker for a youngster i dont know. Than again, I'm prolly older than most of you guys and Social media doesn't do anything for me.

You don't think players on the DEvils don't enjoy themselves off the ice? They are out just as much as any other athletes.

Bernie Parent was on Stern and old stories of threesomes and other escapades there are legendary stories of the Rangers at Studio 54.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think it's simply that players look at our roster and throw up in their mouths. I have no evidence but I'd be surprised if that same list of teams didn't used to include the Islanders (their record of not signing any high profile UFAs says they weren't thought of very highly). Now they are an exciting playoff contender and I don't see them listed.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
What is this hyperbole?

It's always been that way, the difference is there are things that exist now that didn't years ago.

You don't think players on the DEvils don't enjoy themselves off the ice? They are out just as much as any other athletes.

Something has to be said about the strictness of this franchise. Whether it was Marty or another prominent Devil... there was an article a few years back where a player was told by a friend/teammate/other player not to spend their entire career in NJ and to see how things are outside of NJ. I want to see if I can find that.

GhostofKenKlee

The Devils also had a very high payroll in the late 90s and early 2000s before the lockout.

Exactly, the Devils always spent Stevens was one of the highest paid defenders for the longest time.

GhostofKenKlee

Something has to be said about the strictness of this franchise. Whether it was Marty or another prominent Devil... there was an article a few years back where a player was told by a friend/teammate/other player not to spend their entire career in NJ and to see how things are outside of NJ. I want to see if I can find that.

It was Holik to Gomez.....

GhostofKenKlee

Pepe took the Cup to the Howard Stern show in 1995, alot of the Devils use to appear on Ferrall. I have heard that the Rangers are the worst in the NHL for player access.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think fans care more about the players not being allowed on Twitter than the players themselves.

And Holik didn't exactly give Gomez the best advice as it turned out (well other than monetarily I suppose) since both their careers cratered after leaving us, and now Gomez has had a rebirth coming back here. Gomez is the kind of guy that needed the firm hand even if he probably didn't believe it at the time.

GhostofKenKlee

I think fans care more about the players not being allowed on Twitter than the players themselves.

And Holik didn't exactly give Gomez the best advice as it turned out since both their careers cratered after leaving us, and now Gomez had had a rebirth coming back here. Gomez is the kind of guy that needed the firm hand even if he probably didn't believe it at the time.

There are players with great stories on the Devils TOOTOO, Gomez, CLowe and Cammalleri all have personalities or interesting narratives.

A guy like Cammy was active on twitter and a personality he had no problem shutting it down to come here.

I just see what these NFLers/NHLers do on twitter and it looks like more trouble than it's worth. However, the Devils tweet so why can't the players? I can see the argument that way as well.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
There are players with great stories on the Devils TOOTOO, Gomez, CLowe and Cammalleri all have personalities or interesting narratives.

A guy like Cammy was active on twitter and a personality he had no problem shutting it down to come here.

I wouldn't have a problem shutting down my Twitter either if I was injury prone and a desperate team gave me 25 million over 5 years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don't get me wrong it'd be nice for the players to use the Devils' Twitter to have Q/A's with the fans. That kind of controlled enviroment would serve everyone well. But I'm personally glad they aren't able to use Twitter otherwise, it's just another (easy) avenue to get yourself into hot water and I'd rather not see how dopey these guys can get :P

GhostofKenKlee

I wouldn't have a problem shutting down my Twitter either if I was injury prone and a desperate team gave me 25 million over 5 years.

Well paid, sir....

However, Cammalleri was a guy that was courted by other teams and he targeted the Devils. He could signed in Calgary and a few other markets.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think overall these things aren't a big deal when the team is winning... but we start to question team policies, strictness, and our craptastic fans when we have nothing to look forward to in the near future.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

He obviously didn't have a problem coming here and playing for Lou either getting that money. So again we get back to the fact that fans can debate all the ancilary things but money and winning are always going to be paramount over rules and location (unless guys go back home lol). Money's not a factor in trades and we can't offer winning atm so yeah it doesn't surprise me we're on a bunch of no-trade lists.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, CamJan? That was shut down real quick. How's his Devil career going? He went on some obscure podcast without team permission and flapped a bit.

I mean it's not like he was good enough for the NHL anyway. But his was worse than what Seguin and Benn did.

Tootoo tweets, and so does Kinkaid so I don't even know if the twitter rule exists anymore.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He obviously didn't have a problem coming here and playing for Lou either getting that money. So again we get back to the fact that fans can debate all the ancilary things but money and winning are always going to be paramount over rules and location (unless guys go back home lol). Money's not a factor in trades and we can't offer winning atm so yeah it doesn't surprise me we're on a bunch of no-trade lists.

I just don't buy the "going back home" thing. How many players are leaving the Ducks, Hawks, Blues, Rangers, Canadiens, Lightning, and so on to "go back home?"

Bottom line for me is Lou has to stop trying to "re-tool." The Devils have a boring old/slow roster. We definitely have a great crop of defensemen to get excited about.. but if you ask where the goals are going to come from in the next few years... I don't have an answer for you. Most teams in this league have exciting prospects or star players 20-28 years old. We have Adam Henrique. and some good d-men.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just don't buy the "going back home" thing. How many players are leaving the Ducks, Hawks, Blues, Rangers, Canadiens, Lightning, and so on to "go back home?"

Bottom line for me is Lou has to stop trying to "re-tool." The Devils have a boring old/slow roster. We definitely have a great crop of defensemen to get excited about.. but if you ask where the goals are going to come from in the next few years... I don't have an answer for you. Most teams in this league have exciting prospects or star players 20-28 years old. We have Adam Henrique. and some good d-men.

I think the "going back home" theory does carry weight when the "home" team is intent (ie has the $$$) on bringing that player back. Like we saw with Zach and Ilya. We also saw it with Lebron.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Pretty much all of this.

And to the players leaving point, a large part of the reason is very simple. Lou doesn't negotiate/extend until a contract is expiring (usually). All the other teams in the league lock up their key players in advance of their UFA year. When you wait until the last minute you have no leverage as an organization. Absolutely none. So I don't fault any player for "exploring" the market at that point. When you negotiate prior to their last season, the player is more likely to accept a deal because it is guaranteed money and they are negating risk of, say, a blown out knee.

To this day, I'm 95% certain Parise would still be a Devil if the team had offered him a sizable chunk of change immediately following the 10/11 injury season. Instead they chose to not commit long-term and sign a 1 year deal. Well done Lou, well done.

Everyone that loves Lou and constantly makes excuses for him really must just ignore the fact that this organization has lost 5 times the talent of any other to FA since the early 2000s. Excuse after excuse after excuse is made for each of these departures and it drives me nuts. It has simply happened way too frequently for the Devils to just be a victim of circumstance(s).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And to the players leaving point, a large part of the reason is very simple. Lou doesn't negotiate/extend until a contract is expiring (usually). All the other teams in the league lock up their key players in advance of their UFA year. When you wait until the last minute you have no leverage as an organization. Absolutely none. So I don't fault any player for "exploring" the market at that point. When you negotiate prior to their last season, the player is more likely to accept a deal because it is guaranteed money and they are negating risk of, say, a blown out knee.

After Cory, Greene, Henrique and Zajac this criticism is five years old. Lou HAS been more proactive since the Parise thing...and for all we know Zach was going to test FA anyway. We'll never know. He can say what he wants, you can think what you want but we'll never really know other than the fact he and Suter were talking about teaming up months in advance.

The idea people excuse everything Lou does is crazy. Yes some of what happened was due to VBK and his financial issues, some was due to the Kovy/KHL stuff and some was preventable. And Lou made some things worse with bad FA signings and re-signings. But just because you don't find fault with EVERY questionable move is not the same thing as excusing everything.

Brian left the Habs to go home, but nobody cares about that cause he's not a star lol. For all we know it does happen we just don't pay attention to those other teams the way we do ours. Nieds leaving to play with his brother would have happened to the Pens with Jordan Staal if they weren't proactive but in the Devils' case they didn't really have a chance to get proactive cause of the lockout and changing FA rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad