The NHL TRADE Discussion (NHL & NJ deals, speculation, rumors, etc.) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
After Cory, Greene, Henrique and Zajac this criticism is five years old. Lou HAS been more proactive since the Parise thing...and for all we know Zach was going to test FA anyway. We'll never know. He can say what he wants, you can think what you want but we'll never really know other than the fact he and Suter were talking about teaming up months in advance.

The idea people excuse everything Lou does is crazy. Yes some of what happened was due to VBK and his financial issues, some was due to the Kovy/KHL stuff and some was preventable. And Lou made some things worse with bad FA signings and re-signings. But just because you don't find fault with EVERY questionable move is not the same thing as excusing everything.

Brian left the Habs to go home, but nobody cares about that cause he's not a star lol. For all we know it does happen we just don't pay attention to those other teams the way we do ours.

Yes, it took him over a decade of incompetence to change his ways. Kind of.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Pretty much all of this.

And to the players leaving point, a large part of the reason is very simple. Lou doesn't negotiate/extend until a contract is expiring (usually). All the other teams in the league lock up their key players in advance of their UFA year. When you wait until the last minute you have no leverage as an organization. Absolutely none. So I don't fault any player for "exploring" the market at that point. When you negotiate prior to their last season, the player is more likely to accept a deal because it is guaranteed money and they are negating risk of, say, a blown out knee.

To this day, I'm 95% certain Parise would still be a Devil if the team had offered him a sizable chunk of change immediately following the 10/11 injury season. Instead they chose to not commit long-term and sign a 1 year deal. Well done Lou, well done.

Everyone that loves Lou and constantly makes excuses for him really must just ignore the fact that this organization has lost 5 times the talent of any other to FA since the early 2000s. Excuse after excuse after excuse is made for each of these departures and it drives me nuts. It has simply happened way too frequently for the Devils to just be a victim of circumstance(s).

Parise lived in Hoboken at the W hotel where a friend of mine lived on his floor. He said in passing in the hallway that he is never staying.
I believe he used that to leverage Minnys armored car backing up to his house with cash. I for one hope he never wins anything. You want to leave to go home (Clarkson) bye no hard feelings, but you pretend you want to stay, but its all for cash reason F U. How much more did he squeak out of Minny with his stunt? Another big log cabin on the lake for his girlfriend Suter?
No I'm not bitter!

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m2 minutes ago
Devils still believe they're in the playoff hunt, so Jagr trade discussions very temporarily on hold. Still trade bait. @NHLonNBCSports

I am soo done with Lou man.. Get him out of here

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Devils still believe they're in the playoff hunt, so Jagr trade discussions very temporarily on hold. Still trade bait. @NHLonNBCSports

Fire him now, what a f***ing joke

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Very temporarily meaning until a few more people renew season tickets and after we go 2-3 on the rest of the homestand lol

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

His value will go up as the deadline appears and the other options are off the market. Maybe he's using this as a way to try to get a team to offer more to get him sooner?

I won't worry about this, same goes for Zidlicky. If this tweet comes out the day before the deadline, then I will be very pissed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
His value will go up as the deadline appears and the other options are off the market. Maybe he's using this as a way to try to get a team to offer more to get him sooner?

I won't worry about this, same goes for Zidlicky. If this tweet comes out the day before the deadline, then I will be very pissed.

Yeah let's not overreact to every little thing. If March 2 comes and goes with Jagr and friends still here then you can start the Fire Lou chants, I'll be done with Lou then.

Zid's not entirely in Lou's control but anyone else that can be moved for a 3rd rounder and above should be moved.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Lou will never publicly doubt the team its media pandering. Teams will have to offer more if the devils are still "competing" and are " in it "

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not just pandering to the media to up the value, it's pandering to his own team to try and get what he can out of it the next six games before the deadline while they're still on life support.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
It's not just pandering to the media to up the value, it's pandering to his own team to try and get what he can out of it the next six games before the deadline while they're still on life support.

I really REALLY REALLY hope you're right and this is what Lou is thinking because I put nothing past him and him actually thinking this team could go to the playoffs and this is why the cupboard is bare, plus horrible drafting.

This is one of the worst teams I have ever seen outside of Cory and a few others.

If Lou does not sell the dead weight for picks and prospects(yes it takes 2 to tango) he should be terminated. This team is not going to the playoffs

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It really is amazing how many people are so willing to think the worst is going to happen. I mean just two more losses before the deadline and they'll still likely be double-digit points out and they could easily go 2-4 in this six-game stretch. The only realistic scenario I can see not selling is if they somehow get 10 or 11 out of 12 points and cut the playoff deficit to 5-6 points. But people really honestly believe Lou wouldn't sell if we were 20 points out which is amazing, I don't get THAT level of negativity.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

This isnt pandering to anyone. This is what Lou truly thinks. Dreger is obviously getting the information from the other teams that are calling the Devils looking to trade for Jagr. The response they're getting from Lou is that Jagr is not available because the Devils think they're still making a push. You can't spin this positively. Lou should be taking this time to negotiate and get the highest possible asking price. There's just no way that you get the highest price by shopping the guy for a day or two. It's idiocy at this point, and the guy is not accountable in anyway. When there's no accountability, nothing good happens. He does whatever the **** he wants, and nobody is there to stop his maniacal antics. It's embarassing at this point.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This isnt pandering to anyone. This is what Lou truly think. Dreger is obviously getting the information from the other teams that are calling the Devils looking to trade for Jagr. The response they're getting from Lou is that Jagr is not available because the Devils think they're still making a push. You can't spin this positively. Lou should be taking this time to negotiate and the highest possible asking price. There's just no way that you get the highest price by shopping the guy for a day or two. It's idiocy at this point, and the guy is not accountable in anyway. When there's no accountability, nothing good happens. He does whatever the **** he wants, and nobody is there to stop his maniacal antics. It's embarassing at this point.

There is no check on his power in the entire organization. If one day he decided to change the exterior color of the Prudential Center to flamingo pink, I don't think he could be stopped. The other two idiots who own the team are more preoccupied with their Party Poker contract and adding more show dates.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This isnt pandering to anyone. This is what Lou truly thinks. Dreger is obviously getting the information from the other teams that are calling the Devils looking to trade for Jagr. The response they're getting from Lou is that Jagr is not available because the Devils think they're still making a push. You can't spin this positively. Lou should be taking this time to negotiate and get the highest possible asking price. There's just no way that you get the highest price by shopping the guy for a day or two. It's idiocy at this point, and the guy is not accountable in anyway. When there's no accountability, nothing good happens. He does whatever the **** he wants, and nobody is there to stop his maniacal antics. It's embarassing at this point.

You think Lou's never put anything out in the media for effect?

He wants the Devils to play all out the next six games, what kind of message does it send to the locker room if he admits we're open for business? Granted if this kind of play is the Devils playing all out then they really do have no shot but still.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
You think Lou's never put anything out in the media for effect?

He wants the Devils to play all out the next six games, what kind of message does it send to the locker room if he admits we're open for business? Granted if this kind of play is the Devils playing all out then they really do have no shot but still.

people are still thinking they have a shot ..really?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
IN THEORY if they win six in a row before the deadline they'll probably get to like five points out and nobody'll be moved :laugh:

Realistically they'll probably go .500 at best and people'll be all worried for nothing.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
There is no check on his power in the entire organization. If one day he decided to change the exterior color of the Prudential Center to flamingo pink, I don't think he could be stopped. The other two idiots who own the team are more preoccupied with their Party Poker contract and adding more show dates.

He's no longer the BMOC, and hasn't been since TNR rode into town.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

My thoughts as well. Lou doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore, especially after his failure to sell over these past two seasons. The guy is running this franchise into the ground, with reckless abandon. No sane human being thinks their in the playoff race right now, except Lou. Until he actually trades away these players, I'm going to assume we'll be buyers or do nothing at the deadline and that's literally the last thing that should happen. This team has played absolutely deplorable hockey and yet he doesn't want to accept reality yet? It's a joke.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I still believe this ends up playing out exactly like it did with Arnott in 2011.

Vet player wants out, Lou wants the team to stay focused and push to pick up every last point they can, but ultimately trades Arnott by the 3:00pm deadline.

I think that's what will happen here with Jagr, barring some major miraculous shift in the standings over the next 6 games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My thoughts as well. Lou doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore, especially after his failure to sell over these past two seasons.

The last two seasons they were actually in a playoff spot the lockout season and only a couple points out of it last year at the deadline. This year they're eleven points out. That's a BIG difference.

Plus last year Jagr didn't even want to go anywhere, so there was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad