GDT: The NHL Trade Deadline: More Trades Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
At the end of the day, NYR has three first round picks in a deep draft.

You can spin it anyway you like, but anyone that claims they got "fleeced" are kidding themselves and being partisans.

We would KILL to have that luxury. Here's to hoping they pick three Hugh Jessimans.

I'm glad you added the last line. Futures are awesome. But you gotta hit. Maybe they'll flip those picks into something more tangible but right now their own 1st is the most valuable and Tampa's and Boston's are virtually 2nd's.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You can spin it anyway you like, but anyone that claims they got "fleeced" are kidding themselves and being partisans.

We would KILL to have that luxury. Here's to hoping they pick three Hugh Jessimans.

I would rather have a 27-year old top pairing defenseman than one of those picks every day of the week and most of us praised them to high heaven for the Nash deal on the other

It’s not being partisan to say when a low first rounder is the best piece you can get for a top defenseman AND another good young player that isn’t worth beating your chest over.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
After seeing the prices that were being paid for other rental wingers, it's hard not to like Shero buying into the rental market as he did IMO.

Hall is having a career year, Cory isn't getting any younger, and Hischier/Bratt/Butcher/Zacha are quality contributors on ELCs. I'm glad he didn't sell the farm, but I love adding some extra scoring and depth then seeing what happens.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
After seeing the prices that were being paid for other rental wingers, it's hard not to like Shero buying into the rental market as he did IMO.

Hall is having a career year, Cory isn't getting any younger, and Hischier/Bratt/Butcher/Zacha are quality contributors on ELCs. I'm glad he didn't sell the farm, but I love adding some extra scoring and depth then seeing what happens.
yeah this is most def a bit of a gamble. if we go deeper, it makes us more appealing to free agents (like carlson). during a rebuild, there's def a season where you have to go for it, so hopefully we can at least get past round 1

Reactions: MNDevilsfan

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
not sure if it was mentioned but our very own kyle palmeri assisted on maroon's first NHL goal

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
yeah this is most def a bit of a gamble. if we go deeper, it makes us more appealing to free agents (like carlson). during a rebuild, there's def a season where you have to go for it, so hopefully we can at least get past round 1

if the oilers did last year no reason why we cant. could see this team going further than the oilers did.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You'll get Ekman-Larsson at the draft and like it
I don't know if I'd be thrilled with that in all honesty...

But in the context of signing OEL for nothing and letting Moore walk I wouldn't complain. But in general, I'm not sure OEL is the kind of Dman we need.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

This is about as good as good have been expected in three years we went from have zero forwards and very little in the way of prospects to having what i would call an above average NHL group of forwards. and a decent pool of prospects.

this team could be a pesty team... they definitely needed some more grit up front and we just added two pretty good NHL forwards and didn't create any holes in doing so.... these trades don't always work out but it signals the current players that this team wants to win right now.. they have the pieces to make some noise

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Player A: 14 goals, 30 points in 57 games
Player B: 18 goals, 28 points in 61 games

Player A returned a 3rd round pick (2019) and low level prospect
Player B returned a 1st round pick (2018), a recent 2nd round pick DMan, and a decent middle six center

I am not the biggest Maroon fan, but you have to respect Shero's ability to get value

Last edited:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Plus some Dylan McIlraths for good measure

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Player A: 14 goals, 30 points in 57 games
Player B: 18 goals, 30 points in 61 games

Player A returned a 3rd round pick (2019) and low level prospect
Player B returned a 1st round pick (2018), a recent 2nd round pick DMan, and a decent middle six center

I am not the biggest Maroon fan, but you have to respect Shero's ability to get value

The rangers raped boston on that trade.. seemed a little desperate to me from boston's end... a bad trade.

don't know much about maroon but if you asked me what this team could have used it would have been a tough winger who can play and improve team toughness we have been getting knocked around a bit

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
There's so much parity in this league. Obviously even with these additions you cannot say we'd be favored against the top teams in the east, but even over a seven game series there's enough puck luck and randomness at play that you never know how things will play out.

I'm a big believer in taking your shots while your quality young players are on very cap friendly RFA contracts. Now of course given that this team is just at the very beginning of this curve, I think it would've been foolish to cough up a 1st to chase the bigger names. But that's why I like these moves- Ray added some very decent quality for the present without having to dive too deep into the pick/prospect pool.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
As do I fellow engineer, as do I...

respect

engineer.png

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't know if I'd be thrilled with that in all honesty...

But in the context of signing OEL for nothing and letting Moore walk I wouldn't complain. But in general, I'm not sure OEL is the kind of Dman we need.
I think the best fit would have been McDoughnut. We need a minute-eating left-shot defensive defenseman with offensive upside more than an offensive minded d-man.

That being said, I'd still consider trading Vats+ or Severson for him, just to even out the left-right talent balance.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the best fit would have been McDoughnut. We need a minute-eating left-shot defensive defenseman with offensive upside more than an offensive minded d-man.

That being said, I'd still consider trading Vats+ or Severson for him, just to even out the left-right talent balance.

For McD? No no no way.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

yeah no

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man I figured the non-rental guys like Karlsson, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Hoffman and every frickin rumored Sens guy were going nowhere today. I always expected they'd go at the draft or sometime over the offseason, if they went anywhere.

Toronto would love to have McDonagh, as their defense is a joke and might cost them. Frederik Andersen deserves some heavy Vezina consideration there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Saw Boston signed Gionta for the rest of the season.

Not sure he's got too much left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino