GDT: The NHL Trade Deadline: More Trades Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Rangers completely blowing it up makes bringing back Grabner even less of a possibility. If you’re tearing it down because it wasn’t working, why bring back the same guys it didn’t work with?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm fairly confident we'll bring back Grabner unless he just completely doesn't fit and sucks here, which I don't foresee happening.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It looks like Tampa wanted Miller and that was probably the difference between getting Namestnikov and not.

Gorton was on the Fan this morning and didn’t really say much aside from Miller being a good player who he has talked about with Yzerman for “a few years.” He didn’t seem too high on him. Yzerman essentially said the Rangers threw him in.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Gorton was on the Fan this morning and didn’t really say much aside from Miller being a good player who he has talked about with Yzerman for “a few years.” He didn’t seem too high on him. Yzerman essentially said the Rangers through him in.
Interesting. In that case, I'm guessing Namestnikov was the centerpiece going to NYR and Miller was the roster forward that Yzerman needed in return.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'm hoping Maroon brings a Poniksrovsky part 1 style boost to the lineup.
What a beast he was

shaq.jpg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I still can't help but think Gorton blinked when he shouldn't have.

I know it has since come out that they're high on Hajek, but if I'm NYR, I have to walk away with Cal Foote. Yzerman was reportedly adamant that Foote would not be moved; I think Gorton should've called that bluff and let the clock strike 3:00.

I don't see why McDonagh had to be moved yesterday.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I still can't help but think Gorton blinked when he shouldn't have.

I know it has since come out that they're high on Hajek, but if I'm NYR, I have to walk away with Cal Foote. Yzerman was reportedly adamant that Foote would not be moved; I think Gorton should've called that bluff and let the clock strike 3:00.

I don't see why McDonagh had to be moved yesterday.
He didn't, but I think his value was at its highest yesterday. He's signed through next season, so Tampa gets two playoff runs out of him. Plus with Ottawa not trading Karlsson yesterday, that meant McDonagh was the best defenseman on the market.

Camille the Eel

McDonagh is reunited with Girardi, LOL. But yeah, it's amazing how except for him, no top level Defenseman was marketed at the deadline. That just shows you how difficult it is to acquire defense. (That Edmonton was dumb enough to move Hall for Larsen, whom they overrated, is another example).

McDonagh is a legitimate top pairing guy.

Ideally, if I am the Rangers and can turn back the hands of time, I think I'd rather have extended him longer term than to have paid Shattenkirk, who's not spring chicken either.

Looking at the club Tampa is going to field for a run, and at Hagelin hoisting the cup for Pittsburgh the last two years, the Rangers have been absolute idiots in managing their assets over the past half a decade.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He didn't, but I think his value was at its highest yesterday. He's signed through next season, so Tampa gets two playoff runs out of him. Plus with Ottawa not trading Karlsson yesterday, that meant McDonagh was the best defenseman on the market.

The “two playoff runs” argument could easily be flipped as negotiation leverage for NYR, no? “You want two shots at the Cup with McD? Well, pay up”

Same could be said for Karlsson staying put.

I just don’t think Gorton played this like he held all the cards... which he did.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The “two playoff runs” argument could easily be flipped as negotiation leverage for NYR, no? “You want two shots at the Cup with McD? Well, pay up”

Same could be said for Karlsson staying put.

I just don’t think Gorton played this like he held all the cards... which he did.
I am using the two playoff runs argument as leverage for NYR. Between that and Karlsson not moving, the Rangers' leverage was at its peak yesterday IMO.

All told, I think the Rangers got a good haul.

Camille the Eel

McDonagh, Girardi, Hagelin, Callahan, Stralman, Brassard, Stepan . . . that's a pretty solid group to have moved or let move on. 3/4s of Tampa Bay's first two defense pairings. (Rangers general management has been awful, as they've descended from the Stanley Cup finals to breaking up the club - that their big event was Jean Ratelle this spring tells you all you need to know about the absence of anything contemporary to get excited about at MSG).

Oh how sweet this is for a Devils fan. Except that, when it comes, seeing your enemy fall in the mud isn't as satisfying as you think it's going to be. Unless it's you that put them there. I'd like a nice 6 - 0 blowout of them to end this season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Next year's being called the "super-class" of UFA defensemen. Players like Doughty, McD, Karlson, and OEL all due to become UFAs. Not all of them are going to hit the market, but if even 1 or 2 do, the Rags were probably smart getting rid of McD now and not risk more competition at next year's trade deadline.

The trade deadline could be very interesting. With the diluted market, I wonder if we can leverage that to get a decent D-man. Maybe not one of the top names, but maybe a 2nd tier guy.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And what a ridiculous dismantling it was...who blows up a team by trading a 24 year old JT Miller and a 28 year old # 1 D? That's just plain stupid. Those are pieces you keep to rebuild.

The ditching of Miller really shocked me.

I expected the Rangers to blow-it-up this week, but I thought they'd use an M-80, not a thermal detonator.

databank_thermaldetonator_01_169_263981fd.jpeg

Reactions: Classic Devil

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
That fact that Lundqvist is okay with sticking in NY knowing he has zero chance at a cup in his career now ( as a starter anyway at the very least ) just goes the show the loser he is and the loser mentality he has. More concerned with his kushy NYC lifestyle and endorsements than winning.

He's always been concerned with his looks and reputation over his team. He's the epitome of primadonna. Perfect fit for the Rags, but a garbage teammate and very likely a garbage human being as well.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's always been concerned with his looks and reputation over his team. He's the epitome of primadonna. Perfect fit for the Rags, but a garbage teammate and very likely a garbage human being as well.

Imagine how hard and often he’ll get to throw his team under the bus in the future.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i feel like we sort of can't criticize though. i mean, post '12 SCF run, we started to tumble pretty rapidly. idk if the rags will at the same speed, or faster, but it's sort of similar, isn't it?

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That fact that Lundqvist is okay with sticking in NY knowing he has zero chance at a cup in his career now ( as a starter anyway at the very least ) just goes the show the loser he is and the loser mentality he has. More concerned with his kushy NYC lifestyle and endorsements than winning.
i think he'll move in the summer if they start crashing harder

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
i think he'll move in the summer if they start crashing harder

I could easily see Lundqvist request a trade.

The problem is, who wants an 77 year old goalie making 11 trillion per season for THREE more years?

The Swedish Staypuff's contract is too big to be an albatross, it's more like one of those gigantic extinct birds.

latest

Reactions: billingtons ghost

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I could easily see Lundqvist request a trade.

The problem is, who wants an 77 year old goalie making 11 trillion per season for THREE more years?

The Swedish Staypuff's contract is too big to be an albatross, it's more like one of those gigantic extinct birds.

latest
well, aren't a lot of teams icing crap goalies? Carolina, Ottawa, Philly, Buffalo, Isles (correct me if i'm wrong)

if there is a market for goalies, i can see gorton retaining 50% and making a move for another teams prospects/players, to speed up their stupid rebuild

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Lol I wish there was I can pay to a see TV show where HFboard members say their asinine comments to the players.

Ridiculous comment, what team contending is even going to trade for Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->