The NHL, The TV deal and Canadians

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Is Canada's national psyche so fragile that this is really a big deal?

Hockey isn't going to grow in Canada. That's the only point here. There is no one in Canada that has never heard of hockey or might be convinced to give it a shot via exposure.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...vent-coyotes-move-to-winnipeg/article1991965/

I feel this is a separate issue and deserves its own thread.

The BOG feels that the smaller Canadian markets negatively. But why? And if Edmonton does not get their new stadium, will they be gone to Houston to throw meat at the new NBC Sports?

Munch,

This has nothing to do with Edmonton. Their arena negotiations are moving along and even if they hit a snag, we would be years away from any threat that they might leave.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Hockey isn't going to grow in Canada. That's the only point here. There is no one in Canada that has never heard of hockey or might be convinced to give it a shot via exposure.

The answer to your first question is in my mind: possibly.

But I hope that your second statement was not intended to be serious because it is far from the truth.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The answer to your first question is in my mind: possibly.

But I hope that your second statement was not intended to be serious because it is far from the truth.
Really. There is still untapped markets? I find this hard to believe.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Do you really beleive that every person in Canada has made a firm choice to be an NHL fan or not to be one. Do you think that if a team ends up in Winnipeg or Hamilton or Quebec that the only people who will care are those that are already invested in the league.

Did Sportsnet sign their brodcast deal with the Oilers and Flames with no intention of expanding their audience?

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Do you really beleive that every person in Canada has made a firm choice to be an NHL fan or not to be one. Do you think that if a team ends up in Winnipeg or Hamilton or Quebec that the only people who will care are those that are already invested in the league.

Did Sportsnet sign their brodcast deal with the Oilers and Flames with no intention of expanding their audience?

I'm from Quebec, I watch a dozen games a season, almost all in the playoffs. I'd watch a lot more if there was a team here. I'm pretty sure i'm not alone.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

If this were true then Hockey Canada wouldn't be so aggressively trying to get new Canadians involved to get numbers growing again. Everybody may have heard of it, that doesn't mean there isn't room to grow.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.ph...0/pp/0/pv/0/pa/0/p/0/m/40166/d/40166/a/162459

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Couldn't this deal help Phoenix move to Canada?

With a TV locked up for the next decade, the NHL won't have to worry about keeping a team in all the big US markets to get a bigger TV contract. Now they can save themselves money and have a team that breaks even or makes a profit in Canada rather than blowing 20 mill a year in Phoenix. This would also help with the new Canadian TV contract.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
The nhl will make $2 billion by the end of the deal.

So im guessin if Edmonton would move it would be to a traditional hockey market and hopefully not Houston lol. Im guessing like Milwaukee, Seattle, Portland something like that

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
That's not... the case, at all. It's baffling to see this bandied about like it's common knowledge. No, there is room for a lot of growth in Canada, or teams like the Canucks and Flames would still be bleeding like they were in the '90s. Hockey interest has grown quite a lot in Vancouver since 2000, mostly I think from immigrant communities (who've really embraced the sport). Just ancedotally in my circle of friends, roughly about half (bout 66% girls/33% guys) could give less of a **** about hockey. That doesn't mean they don't know it's there, but they're not paying customers of the NHL. In cities like Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton hockey interest is high-ish but many people don't attend NHL games and afaik many sort of 'follow' the game but don't invest in it as much as they might if a team were there. There's definitely room for hockey to grow here.

However you're not totally wrong. I think it's best said that the room for growth- the marginal $ they'd get out of one more Canadian hockey vs. a hypothetical American fan, is much higher in the latter case. There's much more room to grow hockey in the U.S. than there is up here. However, it's debatable whether franchises actually do that and whether or not it might be smarter (or dumber) to have more Canadian teams were growth probably moves faster due to its sort of cultural hegemony over us.

I think if Edmonton absolutely refuses to build a new arena then sure, they might move- it'd be tragic and stupid imo. but I could see it happening, but they will get the arena done it's just a process and the NHL's contributing. You need the implicit threat of relocation. I don't think they'd want to move the franchise to Houston if they could move another one there or get an expansion fee out of a new franchise there, but you know it's not off the table.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata

Oh yeah, it might seem odd but believe me there's a ton of crazies out there known as NBA, CFL/NFL and other fans.

:laugh:

Canada is also home to a large immigration influx every year and most of those immigrants aren't coming from hockey mad countries.

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
id like to see the CTV/TSN get a TV contract like NBC/Versus and freeze out Rogers/CBC in the next NHL TV contract. Sportsnet and the CBC are awful and should not have any TV contract with the NHL their a joke.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
id like to see the CTV/TSN get a TV contract like NBC/Versus and freeze out Rogers/CBC in the next NHL TV contract. Sportsnet and the CBC are awful and should not have any TV contract with the NHL their a joke.

And tonight on TSN4...

Sportsnet owns regional rights, TSN and CTV don't have the capacity to show over 50 games for each of the six Canadian teams. To freeze out CBC they'd have to outbid the CBC on top of the ~$75M they're already paying. Is it worth it to TSN to be bidding an extra $150M a year (CBC pays $110M now, and it's their most/only relevant property, they wouldn't let it go cheap) just to take Saturday nights?

Even if you take the tens of millions of regional rights out of the equation to get rid of Rogers, Globemedia would have to be pushing $300M in order to get exclusive national rights in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad