The NHL, The TV deal and Canadians

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Agreed 100%

I question that statement. I believe Winnipeg will be at least a minor net contributor to revenue sharing. Their 15,500 seat arena is equivalant to an 18,500 seat arena, with the 3,000 cheapest seats removed. Their gate will be comparable to a fully sold out 20,000 stadium in the sunbelt. None of this bull about a seat, a beer, and a hot dog for $35.

Phoenix, yes; Glendale, no. The team in Glendale is a lost cause. Putting a team in Glendale (2010 population 226,721) is just as much of a joke as moving the Leafs to Vaughan (2010 population 296,863). Relocate the Glendale franchise, and wait for Phoenix proper, or at least Scottsdale, to put up a proper NHL arena. Then try again.

There is only so much abuse that Winnipeg hockey fans will take. If Phoenix+Atlanta move to KC+Houston, CBC WILL see viewership decline for HNIT (Hockey Night In Toronto :rant:)
Thats what they said last year.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Thats what they said last year.

Yes, should the team stay in Phoenix, and Atlanta stays put as well, I predict much anger and derision towards Gary Bettman and the NHL.............................followed by business as usual. People in Winnipeg specifically, and Canada in general, will continue to tune into games on TSN and CBC in high numbers.............and the Canadian teams will continue to sell out all the games.

The talk of Canadian fans boycotting the NHL due to a lack of Canadian franchises is so much hot air.

I'm actually beginning to think they might pull this thing out in Glendale...........

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Agreed 100%

I question that statement. I believe Winnipeg will be at least a minor net contributor to revenue sharing. Their 15,500 seat arena is equivalant to an 18,500 seat arena, with the 3,000 cheapest seats removed. Their gate will be comparable to a fully sold out 20,000 stadium in the sunbelt. None of this bull about a seat, a beer, and a hot dog for $35.

Phoenix, yes; Glendale, no. The team in Glendale is a lost cause. Putting a team in Glendale (2010 population 226,721) is just as much of a joke as moving the Leafs to Vaughan (2010 population 296,863). Relocate the Glendale franchise, and wait for Phoenix proper, or at least Scottsdale, to put up a proper NHL arena. Then try again.

There is only so much abuse that Winnipeg hockey fans will take. If Phoenix+Atlanta move to KC+Houston, CBC WILL see viewership decline for HNIT (Hockey Night In Toronto :rant:)

Pretty much every single optimistic projection has Winnipeg relying on revenue sharing, especially if the US dollar can recover. This is a fairly well established fact by people with much more information than either of us.

A team in Glendale certainly has the potential to capture the Phoenix market and become a league leader. That area is extremely strong economically. Taking away hockey from fans in the area and waiting 5-10 years to bring it back just doesn't make sense, and they need that market.

You're nuts if you think fans in Winnipeg are going to stop watching hockey because they don't get a team. Canadians are nuts for hockey, we as a collective may b#### and complain about things, but at the end of the day we still tune in.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yes, should the team stay in Phoenix, and Atlanta stays put as well, I predict much anger and derision towards Gary Bettman and the NHL.............................followed by business as usual. People in Winnipeg specifically, and Canada in general, will continue to tune into games on TSN and CBC in high numbers.............and the Canadian teams will continue to sell out all the games.

The talk of Canadian fans boycotting the NHL due to a lack of Canadian franchises is so much hot air.

I'm actually beginning to think they might pull this thing out in Glendale...........

Pretty much every single optimistic projection has Winnipeg relying on revenue sharing, especially if the US dollar can recover. This is a fairly well established fact by people with much more information than either of us.

A team in Glendale certainly has the potential to capture the Phoenix market and become a league leader. That area is extremely strong economically. Taking away hockey from fans in the area and waiting 5-10 years to bring it back just doesn't make sense, and they need that market.

You're nuts if you think fans in Winnipeg are going to stop watching hockey because they don't get a team. Canadians are nuts for hockey, we as a collective may b#### and complain about things, but at the end of the day we still tune in.
Exactly. But I would be so proud of Winnipeg if they staged a major protest of the NHL if that happened. No merchandise or TV, with protests that are covered by world media.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Pretty much every single optimistic projection has Winnipeg relying on revenue sharing, especially if the US dollar can recover.
This is a topic for another forum, but Canada is looking at getting back to a balanced buget in a few years, while the US deficit continues to grow. The impact on the business of hockey is that the US$ will continue to sink, and improve the relative situation of Canadian teams.

PS. I notice there's an ad just above the edit screen, urging me to vote for Smiling Jack on May 2nd. If we elect him, then yes, the CDN$ will collapse :naughty:

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
This is a topic for another forum, but Canada is looking at getting back to a balanced buget in a few years, while the US deficit continues to grow. The impact on the business of hockey is that the US$ will continue to sink, and improve the relative situation of Canadian teams.

PS. I notice there's an ad just above the edit screen, urging me to vote for Smiling Jack on May 2nd. If we elect him, then yes, the CDN$ will collapse :naughty:

Go look up Quantitative Easing round 1 and 2... it was a forced, artificial devaluation of the US dollar by the fed that has been pumping massive amounts of money into the stock market the past couple of years in an effort to stimulate growth. I'm pretty sure it's set for another round if Bernanke has his way, so don't look for the US dollar to rebound for awhile. At least a two year window here that the CA$ will out-value the US$ so that the US can get its export mojo on. It'd be dangerous to look at this as a long-term (10+ years) trend though, can only take so much devaluation until other countries just get completely fed up with trying to compete with artificially low prices.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

That is is all predictions.

Balanced budget in a few years? Please 55 billion is not chump change.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
CBC, TSN and it's advertisers, don't care about U S viewers.....Back at ya;)

600,000 tune in to watch a Leafs game in the GTA. There are probably 3 million households in the GTA . I'd say there is plenty room for growth.

I am Canadian..

my point was only that the Canadian teams, and subsequently the Canadian NHL broadcast rights, do not exist in a vacuum. The presence of the American teams contribute greatly to the value of NHL games in Canada. Would Canadian broadcasters be forking out 250$ million a year to see Toronto play Ottawa 20 times followed by Toronto v Ottawa in the playoffs? Every year? No, of course not. Look at NBC - how much complaining do we already see about the lack of variety with teams they show.

So, IMO, it's silly to take this "america vs Canada" angle wrt television rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->