The NHL network's top 20 centers

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Here's the top 20 centers from HFBoards Forward Ranking poll series I did this summer.

1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Malkin
4. Tavares
5. Backstrom
6. Stamkos
7. Getzlaf
8. Seguin
9. Matthews
10. Eichel
11. Bergeron
12. Scheifele
13. Barkov
14. Kopitar
15. Pavelski
16. Toews
17. ROR
18. Kuznetsov
19. Forsberg
20. Giroux

Way better if you ask me

Agreed but Forsberg is a winger thats the only mistake. Hilarious to not have Giroux on NHL.com's list. Guy leads the league in scoring over the previous 5 seasons, has a bunch of injuries last year now he isnt top 20. Give me a breakk.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Spoken like someone with no idea.

Maybe look at their numbers first. Getzlaf with about 4min more ice-time per game put up 9 more points, that and being a bit better on the draw are the only areas he led.

FYI, Selke voting: Scheifele 30th, Matthews 38th, Getzlaf 48th. And for the All-Star team: Scheifele 4th, Matthews 5th, Getzlaf 8th.

Heh :laugh:

How much did Matthews play on the PK? Selke voting is a joke, don't even mention the all-star voting.

None of those things you posted proves that Matthews is the better center at this moment, let alone top-4 in the whole league.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Heh :laugh:

How much did Matthews play on the PK? Selke voting is a joke, don't even mention the all-star voting.

None of those things you posted proves that Matthews is the better center at this moment, let alone top-4 in the whole league.

Just because it's joke to you doesn't make it a joke. A bunch of people, every one of which I'd consider more credible than you, voted on these things and it turns out Matthews was seen as the better player last season to them, you are free to disagree.

Matthews didn't play the PK, he was a rookie getting 17min a game. Toronto also had a bunch of good PK forwards so Auston was never needed. I'm sure everyone is really impressed with Getzlaf's 1:40 per game of PK time but that doesn't make him a good defensive player (I'm not doubting he is good defensively, just that PK usage isn't a good argument).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Spoken like someone with no idea.

Maybe look at their numbers first. Getzlaf with about 4min more ice-time per game put up 9 more points, that and being a bit better on the draw are the only areas he led.

FYI, Selke voting: Scheifele 30th, Matthews 38th, Getzlaf 48th. And for the All-Star team: Scheifele 4th, Matthews 5th, Getzlaf 8th.

Votes mean very little
They're biased
Just like this list

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Decent list overall
Don't want to fan the flames
I think Backstrom and Scheifele could be moved up a little bit
Let's start the season already!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love Bergeron, but I must disagree. Elite offense>elite defense

I think a player like Bergeron is extremely rare. He is not only elite defence. He is probably the best defensive player, since Bob Gainey to have played. He is also a terrific player offensively that always seems to make his wingers better. There is a plethora of wingers that have excelled playing with him. I would put Bergeron in the top 10 Centers in the game. Maybe even top 5. He does it all as well as being one of the the best faceoff man in the NHL for years now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
wheeler probably played as many games at centre last year as draisaitl why isn't he on the list.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
wheeler probably played as many games at centre last year as draisaitl why isn't he on the list.

And Draisaitl took more face-offs last year than McDavid, guess McDavid shouldn't be on the list as well then?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I don't think he bases his opinions on logic and fact. But the funny thing he posts Leafs related stuff more than the average Leafs fan.

Sorry bud, but the statement 'Matthews own coach was scared to use him in the defensive zone' was based on ozone and Dzone starts, which I think are considered objective facts?

He was the least deployed C in the Dzone for the Leafs last year with only 30% of his starts coming in the defensive end

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sorry bud, but the statement 'Matthews own coach was scared to use him in the defensive zone' was based on ozone and Dzone starts, which I think are considered objective facts?

He was the least deployed C in the Dzone for the Leafs last year with only 30% of his starts coming in the defensive end

But remember that Matthews is an elite two way player :laugh:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Please explain the rational behind Matthews being above the likes of Stamkos/Tavares/etc.

If this was about the future, then fine. But it's not.

Lightning and Islanders missed the playoffs last year, and AM34 had 40 goals in his rookie season and helped carry his team to the playoffs.
He also played quite decently in the playoffs. This list is fine.

Also:
I think a player like Bergeron is extremely rare. He is not only elite defence. He is probably the best defensive player, since Bob Gainey to have played. He is also a terrific player offensively that always seems to make his wingers better. There is a plethora of wingers that have excelled playing with him. I would put Bergeron in the top 10 Centers in the game. Maybe even top 5. He does it all as well as being one of the the best faceoff man in the NHL for years now.

guy-carbonneau.jpg

Carbo would like to say hi. Shutting down Gretzky in the finals is insane, and he contributed offensively as well, perhaps not as well as Bergeron though. Also, Jere Lehtinen is right up there.

Last edited:

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
Is this list based on best going into the season or where they expect them to rank by the end of 17/18? If based on going into the season Matthews is way too high but if this is a prediction I can see it looking like this too.

Still one of the better media lists overall. I thought I was seeing things when the top 100 player of all time, Jonathan Toews, wasn't number 2.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
People complaining about Matthews in this thread remind me alot of the people last year that had a fit McDavid was ranked 3rd best player in the league

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2133711&highlight=top

I don't think McDavid should be considered the 3rd best player in the NHL yet, though.

No glaring omissions, surprisingly. Sure there are some players people will think should have been on the list instead of certain others, but overall, that's seems to me like a pretty good consensus top-50.

In relation to a joke about Matthews not being including (would go on to score 40 goals)
The guy who hasn't played an NHL game is a top-50 player in the NHL?

McDavid has only played half a bloody season and he's already being ranked third best in the world? Ugh. I'm glad I stopped bothering with TSN's stupid polls. Some other laughable rankings...

McDavid was ranked 37 last year.... and hadn't played yet.

So why not Matthews?

As for this list, I'm a believer that a player should play at least one full season before being considered one of the beat players in the world! But I'm a hockey pessimist and like to be shown how that potential actually translates to the NHL before touting them the best.

McDavid at 3 is laughingly bad.Toews should be higher, and Price is hilariously high.

First sane post on the last page

People are really upset at McDavid at 3? He could definitely challenge for the Art Ross this year (if healthy).

Seems like people forget elite talent can be a top player in the league in their first 3 years

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
And Matthews put up 40 goals as a rookie and won the Calder. You can't have it both ways, you can't say Matthews hasn't played long enough in the NHL while simultaneously saying McDavid is the best center in hockey.

If Laine doesn't get injured Matthews doesn't win the Calder.

As a side note, their #1 and #2 are correct, and one of the few things they actually got right.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Love Bergeron, but I must disagree. Elite offense>elite defense

Ask the Pens what they think about this back when the Bruins swept them and shut down Malkin/Crosby!!

I'd wager elite is elite, which one is preferred depends on the rest of the roster and team needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad