The NHL network's top 20 centers

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
And what exactly do their rookie years have to do with how good they are right now? He arguably had a better rookie year than Malkin, so maybe he should be 3rd, right?

So was McDavid not better than most if not all the centres in the league in his rookie year last year? The he's a rookie argument by most in here is hilarious and that cherry picking assist thing by the Jets homer was by far the best.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
But 69 points has been surpassed by every player on that list other than Barkov and Monahan.

It's not having it both ways. I don't see what you're not getting. If Matthews deserved to be 4th based on last year, then you would have a point. But he doesn't. It's projecting. With McDavid it's not. It's like putting Sid 1st and Malkin 4th on a center list after the '06-07 season. Sid would have deserved it based on his play the past year, while Malkin didn't. Obviously Malkin went on to show he was a top 2 center the following year, but so far Matthews hasn't.

And if you think Matthews is way to high and he and McDavid should be judged equally, where exactly do you have McDavid?

The bolded is actually false. McDavid was ranked a top 50 players in the NHL before he even played a single game in the league. Going into this season many publications had him rated as the 2nd best player in the league only behind Crosby. The awards he raked in this year have little impact on how a lot of people viewed him at the beginning of the year.

HammertownHockey

Apr 23, 2015
Not quite. Potential is about the capacity to turn into something. If Matthews is already that level of player, even if he hasn't proven it, it's no longer potential. If, say Matthews scores 90 points this year, that doesn't make him a top 5 center after the fact, he would have been the whole time. It's the problem with analyzing players' progression/decline. Proof is always after the fact.

This.. it was the same for McD. I believed he was the best player going in to the 16-17 season but didnt have the track record to justify that #1 ranking. The season proved it. I believe matthews is the #4 C going in to the season. Just needs to prove it i guess

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Eichel too low, Barkov too low, Draisaitl too low, Scheifele too low, Stamkos too high, Matthews too high, Toews too high, Kopitar too high.

Looks like they went with career over current ability. For everyone but Matthews, that is.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Eichel too low, Barkov too low, Draisaitl too low, Scheifele too low, Stamkos too high, Matthews too high, Toews too high, Kopitar too high.

Looks like they went with career over current ability. For everyone but Matthews, that is.
Well in terms of current ability Matthews is a two way force who drives possession and happens to have been the best goal scorer in the league at even strength last year. 4th is high but I can see it

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
It's not a safe list. I like that. If HFboards reaaally needs one more season before Matthews is annointed a top 5 center I guess they can have it. Grief is a process with stages as I understand it

Cotton

May 13, 2013
What do you think is more likely:
1) Leafs fans watching small market teams with limited national coverage
or
2) Small market fans watching the Leafs who have virtually every game broadcasted nationally?

You act like you watch every one one of Getzlaf, Backstrom, Scheifele, Eichel, Stamkos, etc. games when in reality it's more likely other fans watch the Leafs play. I've seen Matthews enough to say he was the best rookie this year and had one of the top rookie seasons of the past decade. That said, he's still a rookie, which is irrelevant in the context of his standings within this list. Your need to compare his rookie season to other C rookie season to figure out who is better RIGHT NOW really takes the cake though :facepalm: . Finally, he isn't nearly as good defensively as you make him out to be and is not a top 5C in the league after one season.

What I think is most likely is that everyone watches 98% of their own teams games and get their info on players from other teams from stat watching and what they see when those other teams play theirs.

On-top of that I think American fans see even less. And as from the Canadian markets Leafs games air when those out west should be in school or at work, while in the east it's been easy to follow the Oilers as they air soon after Leafs games have finished, why the Oilers is because they are never blacked out for me.

And nothing is forced down your throat.

On-top of all of that, some of these posters have proven they don't watch through ignorance and inaccuracies displayed during previous conversations, it's not like this is a controversial idea... Stat watchers lying about watching games.

As for the rest of your post, well, watch a game sometime ma dude.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
What I think is most likely is that everyone watches 98% of their own teams games and get their info on players from other teams from stat watching and what they see when those other teams play theirs.

On-top of that I think American fans see even less. And as from the Canadian markets Leafs games air when those out west should be in school or at work, while in the east it's been easy to follow the Oilers as they air soon after Leafs games have finished, why the Oilers is because they are never blacked out for me.

And nothing is forced down your throat.

On-top of all of that, some of these posters have proven they don't watch through ignorance and inaccuracies displayed during previous conversations, it's not like this is a controversial idea... Stat watchers lying about watching games.

As for the rest of your post, well, watch a game sometime ma dude.

I don't think watching extra games will help your valuations.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, but neither does Karlsson. That's a pretty useless stat to look at to evaluate defensive ability

It's a part of your overall contribution as a center.

I'm not sure which Karlsson you're referring to but Erik averaged 2 minutes per game.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Clearly matthews to high. Getzlaf to low. I have no issue where eichel is because he will prove his spot this year. Matthews should be sidekick ing him in these ratings wherever they fall...

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
So was McDavid not better than most if not all the centres in the league in his rookie year last year? The he's a rookie argument by most in here is hilarious and that cherry picking assist thing by the Jets homer was by far the best.
Do assists not count towards points anymore or should we just look at who scored the most goals to decide who's the best player?

And I'm the one cherry picking stats :laugh:

No, but neither does Karlsson. That's a pretty useless stat to look at to evaluate defensive ability

His own coach was scared to use him in the defensive zone lmao

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
According to the NHL network:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Sidney Crosby
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Austin Matthews
5. Nicklas Backstrom
6. John Tavares
7. Steven Stamkos
8. Tyler Seguin
9. Ryan Getzlaf
10. Mark Scheifele
11. Patrice Bergeron
12. Jonathan Toews
13. Anze Kopitar
14. Jack Eichel
15. Leon Draisaitl
16. Ryan Johansen
17. Aleksander Barkov
18. Jeff Carter
19. Evgeny Kuznetzov
20. Sean Monahan

This is a projection for next season.

Although some think McDavid and Matthews are connected, IMO you can justify McDavid ranking as #1 and still say Matthews is too high.

If all else being equal between linemates and opposition, I would think the ranking should be how these players would do if playing against each other in a head on head matchup projected over enough time where you would get a good indication of who would fair better.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's not a safe list. I like that. If HFboards reaaally needs one more season before Matthews is annointed a top 5 center I guess they can have it. Grief is a process with stages as I understand it

But it's not just one more season most people want, it's a better one. He wasn't top 5 in the one year he played and if Matthews has the exact same season next year I don't see how that changes anything

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Uh, maybe you should re-read what was said. I'm not claiming the fact that he was a rookie means he's can't be that good. Others are arguing that his success should hold more weight because he's a rookie, which would make sense if we're looking at potential but not if we're looking at who is currently the best.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The bolded is actually false. McDavid was ranked a top 50 players in the NHL before he even played a single game in the league. Going into this season many publications had him rated as the 2nd best player in the league only behind Crosby. The awards he raked in this year have little impact on how a lot of people viewed him at the beginning of the year.

Which players haven't scored more than 69 points other than Monahan and Barkov then?

And other publications don't have any relevance to this list

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Matthews has quickly become the most overrated player in hockey

Are we just going to ignore that he was 129th in assists last year?

Are we going to ignore that Matthews was 1st in even strength goals and second in goal scored?

Come on, I can think of better players to put as the most overrated player in hockey. Matthews isn't one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad