GDT: THE NHL DRAFT.... IN OCTOBER! GDT HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Malkin?
For 1st (Carolina’s), 3rd (Dallas’), Deangelo and Gauthier?

So maybe a 3 or 4 team blockbuster trade that sends Malkin to NYR to center Laffie?

What do the penguins get back?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
One of the concussions was. Two weren't.

Apparently NHL teams will have the doctor's report on him - and it's said to be comprehensive - so I guess we'll know a bit of what is in there by where he goes. But yeah, he feels like too big a risk for us. Ottawa with NYI's pick seems an obvious landing spot.

None of this is helping us cheer up Scandale though.

Hendrix Lapierre, not Lafreniere.

The article made it sound like the first was a concussion where his neck was hurt and the following two were his neck, which you might have been saying. I’ve said I want JR to swing for the fences so I guess I couldn’t be too mad if they drafted Lapierre regardless of what happens... I still would be if it ended badly.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So maybe a 3 or 4 team blockbuster trade that sends Malkin to NYR to center Laffie?

What do the penguins get back?

Malkin?
For 1st (Carolina’s), 3rd (Dallas’), Deangelo and Gauthier?​
^
I must have edited it while you responded.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Malkin?
For 1st (Carolina’s), 3rd (Dallas’), Deangelo and Gauthier?​
^
I must have edited it while you responded.

I wonder if NYR is really after another center and if they want Malkin?

If I were the rangers gm i'd be trying to make this a reality.

What other top tier high end centers are there?

I always figured Malkin would want to be the #1 on a team... instead of settling for #2 his entire NHL career.
Plus he'd have Panarin there.... not sure they even talk to each other, but he is russian.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I dont know anything about him honestly, just looking at the draft order by tsn and he's a relatively large human on d pretty high on the pick sheet.

Do the pens really have interest in offensive d men ... again? Nothing wrong with just a solid d man with mobility and for crying out loud.... puck moving abilities. They also just shouldn’t use a high pick on someone

High hockey iq would rate first for me. Size second and puck moving jostle between 2nd/3rd most important trait. Situation depending.

They should? They have Dumoulin, Pettersson and POJ as the more defensive D and a prospects, and, no, I don’t think POJ will be a major offensive contributor. The more offensively geared D? They have an aging Letang, Marino and a 7th round draft pick in Reilly. They should be interested in an offensive D. Especially with a high pick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Plz no to Geno to NYR talk. Of all the crazy non-happening things to wonder about, let's at least no pick one that isn't as appealing as a bag full of mixed animal feces.

if the Pens project there’s no one with speed and great offensive IQ that they can get at #15, then they should give the pick to Minn...but absolutely do not take a player with a lower ceiling but who has a NHL body, or might be ready for the NHL sooner, at #15...total waste

Honestly, I'd rather get IQ and skill than IQ and skating. A lot of them will fix the minor skating issues, a few will turn out to be burners... very few will develop notablymore skill.

I dont know anything about him honestly, just looking at the draft order by tsn and he's a relatively large human on d pretty high on the pick sheet.

Do the pens really have interest in offensive d men ... again? Nothing wrong with just a solid d man with mobility and for crying out loud.... puck moving abilities.

High hockey iq would rate first for me. Size second and puck moving jostle between 2nd/3rd most important trait. Situation depending.

I've no idea what the Pens are looking for anyway - Pronman reckons Lundell or Reichel, but who knows if he's right - but I just want the BPA, and the BPA at 15 is very rarely a dman with limited offensive ability. You redraft Dumoulin's year - and Dumoulin's about a best case development of such a player - and he's probably not going 15OA.

Cool responses everyone. I was thinking more of the 12 year old fan that's already committed to saving up their allowance for a Lafreniere jersey, but I guess you could also just be bitter about it, haha.

Thank you for your permission ;) If the kid isn't happy with Panarin and Kaako, they're maybe a bit spoiled anyway :P

The article made it sound like the first was a concussion where his neck was hurt and the following two were his neck, which you might have been saying. I’ve said I want JR to swing for the fences so I guess I couldn’t be too mad if they drafted Lapierre regardless of what happens... I still would be if it ended badly.

I want to see him swing, but maybe not at that ball.

I think Perreault will be the biggest boom or bust going at 15OA - his scouting profile reads like Phil Kessel but with less skating and maybe a better shot, and maybe more inconsistent effort. Again, I'm not sure I want him to swing at that ball...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly, I'd rather get IQ and skill than IQ and skating. A lot of them will fix the minor skating issues, a few will turn out to be burners... very few will develop notablymore skill.

Yeah. I think, sometimes, that both all of us and the team itself have gotten too caught up in simply straight line speed.

I always defer to smarts and offensive tools. I mean... unless you skate like Hal Gill.

If you are a high-IQ player... you tend to SEEM a lot faster than you are because you are always taking efficient paths to the puck and are able to find/feel soft spots in the O-zone. A relatively "dumb" player who is a burner will often spend a lot of time just Konstantin Koltsov-ing around out there and never really accomplishing much.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’m also confused at those saying it’s possible the Pens give Minny this pick. I know the Pens sucked, but in my view, there are pretty big odds that next years pick is worse than 15th and probably materially so.

If you don’t like the prospects around 15, either trade back for another pick or trade the pick for a near term solution (young NHL ready player).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can we stop attributing a desire on Malkin’s part to be a #1 center somewhere else or to leave the Pens WHEN HE HAS SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE? Why do people not listen to him or acsribe bad motives to him?

Because his entire career is in the shadow of sid?

That's gotta bother him to some level.

Me saying Malkin to Rangers is more fantasy drafting more than anything. I don't actually want him there.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
If we keep the pick I’m sitting back and hoping that Quinn or Jarvis makes it to 15.

If not I’d look hard at Braden Schneider or Connor Zary.

Those are the guys I like at this point.

I'm not crazy high on Schneider to be honest.

He hasn't produced offensively to warrant a top 15 pick.

He's been a good physical defenseman, but that doesn't always translate from junior to pro hockey. There's a difference between roughing up junior players and men in the NHL. Going along with this, he's one of the oldest players in the draft with a September birthday.

I wouldn't be outraged if the Pens took him, but there will be better options at 15.

Reactions: Peat

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I want to see him swing, but maybe not at that ball.

I think Perreault will be the biggest boom or bust going at 15OA - his scouting profile reads like Phil Kessel but with less skating and maybe a better shot, and maybe more inconsistent effort. Again, I'm not sure I want him to swing at that ball...

I could talk myself into Lapierre. If they think he can be a 1C and won’t take a long time to develop, I think it becomes a more appealing risk. If the medical reports really are reassuring that could change things.

They won’t draft a Kessel clone, imo. It got too ridiculous towards the end and there’s the whole Sullivan and personality clashes fun. Even if Sullivan is gone by then I bet they’ll look at Kessel’s history and how coaches will snap, and they’ll avoid that risk over a health one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah. I think, sometimes, that both all of us and the team itself have gotten too caught up in simply straight line speed.

I always defer to smarts and offensive tools. I mean... unless you skate like Hal Gill.

If you are a high-IQ player... you tend to SEEM a lot faster than you are because you are always taking efficient paths to the puck and are able to find/feel soft spots in the O-zone. A relatively "dumb" player who is a burner will often spend a lot of time just Konstantin Koltsov-ing around out there and never really accomplishing much.

Right on.

What's more, skating wise, I'm increasingly coming to value elusiveness over speed. Being able to outskate anyone one end to the other doesn't do you much good if you don't have the agility to use that speed to shake someone on your tail when you've got nowhere to go. Not that I often know what it looks like, but an explosive first few steps and good edges and agility will get just as much shooting opportunities as speed - and in tight games, maybe more.

I could talk myself into Lapierre. If they think he can be a 1C and won’t take a long time to develop, I think it becomes a more appealing risk. If the medical reports really are reassuring that could change things.

They won’t draft a Kessel clone, imo. It got too ridiculous towards the end and there’s the whole Sullivan and personality clashes fun. Even if Sullivan is gone by then I bet they’ll look at Kessel’s history and how coaches will snap, and they’ll avoid that risk over a health one.

If they do it I'll roll with it and if they don't, I won't blame them.

I dunno whether Perreault is a Kessel off the ice too, which is a big part of it. But yeah. If we're building a team for Sully - or even just building a team where the two centres will be the laziest guys on the ice due to age - it's not an appealing gamble.

Although... you can always trade the guy, then trade him for profit off his skill if you can't get him to see it your way. Worked with Sprong, works for Boston (at least asset value wise).

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not crazy high on Schneider to be honest.

He hasn't produced offensively to warrant a top 15 pick.

He's been a good physical defenseman, but that doesn't always translate from junior to pro hockey. There's a difference between roughing up junior players and men in the NHL. Going along with this, he's one of the oldest players in the draft with a September birthday.

I wouldn't be outraged if the Pens took him, but there will be better options at 15.

I like his feet and athleticism in defending more so than his size or physicality. I would agree on production, I think he’s like a 25 to maybe 35 point guy in a good season. More importantly though, he can move the puck.

He’s not a sexy pick but I think he’s a solid 3-4D who could maybe deploy against top lines. Honestly similar to Marino. So I’d be more than happy to build around a right side of he and Marino going forward. That’s a rock solid foundation where along with Dumo, Petts and POJ— the 2-6D slots all have good players filling them. I just value that more than drafting a forward who prob fits into your middle six at his peak.

Age thing I don’t really care about, I think you could maybe say since it’s his 3rd year of junior it confirms he’s not a high point producer but to me a) you’re not drafting him to be that, and b) it’s a plus in that he can play in the AHL for his d+2.

Still, Jarvis is the guy I want in this draft.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Because his entire career is in the shadow of sid?

That's gotta bother him to some level.

Me saying Malkin to Rangers is more fantasy drafting more than anything. I don't actually want him there.

If it did the time to act on it wouldn't be right after his 34th birthday. Even if Geno somehow wound up in Manhattan, I have little doubt the local media there would put him behind Panarin, who is already there, younger, and is coming off a better season and I'll never expect the national media to be even slightly interested in pushing a pro-Malkin narrative.

Reactions: LOGiK and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like his feet and athleticism in defending more so than his size or physicality. I would agree on production, I think he’s like a 25 to maybe 35 point guy in a good season. More importantly though, he can move the puck.

He’s not a sexy pick but I think he’s a solid 3-4D who could maybe deploy against top lines. Honestly similar to Marino. So I’d be more than happy to build around a right side of he and Marino going forward. That’s a rock solid foundation where along with Dumo, Petts and POJ— the 2-6D slots all have good players filling them. I just value that more than drafting a forward who prob fits into your middle six at his peak.

Age thing I don’t really care about, I think you could maybe say since it’s his 3rd year of junior it confirms he’s not a high point producer but to me a) you’re not drafting him to be that, and b) it’s a plus in that he can play in the AHL for his d+2.

Still, Jarvis is the guy I want in this draft.

I wouldn't hate it because he's probably a short route to a good NHL guy (although I think more Dumo on production), but I feel the same way about him as I do Kuznetsov - would be great at 30, would be a missed opportunity at 15. He's a guy I hope teams in front of us fall in love with and give us a better route to getting Jarvis, or even better Quinn, to fall, rather than the guy we fall in love with.

Incidentally I've got to stop hoping for Quinn, it's not happening (even if a few rankings do have him at 15...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad