Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last few posts:

Here the Pens are projected to take Seth Jarvis. Impressive offensive production. 1.7 points per game last year.

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

I wouldn't mind him as the pick at all. Very fun creative fast player. Just does everything well. Hard worker. A bit small is the reason he could fall a bit.

So we have Poulin and Legaré that we hope one of which is a top nine forward this year or next.

You have a good group of C prospects that can fill in the bottom six so if you get a solid C that can transition in when Malkin’s contract is up you potentially set yourself up. And you can decide whether Malkin becomes a de facto winger or Sid becomes a 3C in terms of usage.

Lukas Reichel is ranked

20 by McKenzie
33 by Button
33 by Future Considerations

Murray for a pick? If we come out this draft with Lundell and Reichel, I will call it a success.

With how the pens ended the season and Rangers geting 1 overall. Im not sure keeping the pick is the best choice anymore.

I don't see us getting better next season. Only worse.
Carolina, Flyers and rangers will only get better next season. Caps will probably still be good. Making the playoffs are far from a sure thing.

What do we have to inject the lineup with? POJ and Poulin?
All of the teams above have prospects better than those 2 waiting in the wings. Also all of the above have young players that probably will be even better next season. We have Marino.

I really feel the 12.5% was a chance to save us from misery. Now I have no idea how to fix this roster tbh.

Right now I'd not be too happy about Lundell. I've seen too many people say solid 3C, nothing more, nothing less, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent line on what his attacking skillset is in the profiles that do talk it up. Skating issues too, although frankly I've now seen most of the likely top 15 described as needing work there so maybe not too bothered.

Reichel's interesting.

Nobody's moved up from their pick to another pick in the top 10 in the last 10 years. The worst players to get top 10 picks traded for them were Schneider and Stepan, and they're about the worst by some distance.

Hoping to move up seems to be really hoping in vain.

I think the super exciting players probably do down as deep as 10 or so. Like, this is all profile reading and clip watching so pinch of salt, but Laf/Byfield/Stutzle is a real deal top 3, then there's a super tight knot of forwards in Perfetti/Raymond/Holtz/Rossi/Quinn who all have real game changing NHL potential. Drysdale/Sanderson are highly ranked D prospects on the same level although if I'm honest, neither sounds like they've got the high end flash or the definite all round package to be a really likely 1D. Throw in Askarov and that's 10-11 great prospects.

After that you get a tier of Jarvis/Mercer/Lundell/Holloway/Perreault/Zary/Lapierre/Reichel/Gunler all kinda mixed together, with Schneider/Guhle as dmen that might get taken there... and given how high NHL scouts like to take dmen, I think there'd be more than I think and some forwards gonna fall, which right now is my prayer. I don't think we're dealing with super exciting players here - sure, maybe some do go top 10 some years, but they mostly seem to be the sort of guys who lack the skill blend or one outstanding speed to rise above the average.

But I do think this is at least an average, probably strong, class available at 15. And I think there's a strong possibility we see a guy fall. I really hope it's Quinn as a high motor high compete sniper sounds just dandy.

And tbh, without a faller, I wouldn't mind trading down if it's there.

Continue!

P.S.: Lafrenière :(

Reactions: Lustaf and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Look on the bright side Scandale, you'd have probably actually died from happiness if we'd got him, so this is for the best after all.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There are worst ways to go, no?

Poulin, Légaré and POJ still ain't bad. 3 potential French-Canadian heroes ;)

But not while still so young and so pretty.

And there's a few chances this draft. Lapierre might be the best player at 15 if we feel like gambling on his concussion history and missed time; maybe get one of the Saint John dmen late on as a gamble.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyway, exercise to try and predict who we might get, here's the top 15 positional breakdowns for the last decade

2019 - 5 C, 5D, 1G, 4W
2018 - 3C, 5D, 7W
2017 - 10C, 4D, 1W
2016 - 7C, 4D, 4W
2015 - 4C, 4D, 7W
2014 - 4C, 3D, 8W
2013 - 7C, 6D, 2W
2012 - 4C, 9D, 2W
2011 - 6C, 6D, 2W
2010- 6C, 5D, 1G, 4W

That's less dogmatic than I expected but, if you believe McKenzie, we're headed for the equal lowest selection of D in the last decade and I think there's a good chance that won't happen. My guess would be there's a good chance all of Drysdale, Sanderson, Schneider and Guhle go top 15. Unfortunately that doesn't quite get us into the top 8 forwards as I'd like, but a couple of small reaches and here we go...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But not while still so young and so pretty.

And there's a few chances this draft. Lapierre might be the best player at 15 if we feel like gambling on his concussion history and missed time; maybe get one of the Saint John dmen late on as a gamble.
I researched him. His concussion issues would scare me off. He's only 18 and has already endured enough such issues that I just don't want to draft a guy at 15 who is a big question mark.

DaveMuBai

Apr 14, 2020
It's worth reading the rangers board right now, especially going back through the draft thread as they find out they got #1. They're experiencing their Sidney Crosby moment just like we did years ago. It's really wonderful to see actually; the sheer joy of being a fan.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I researched him. His concussion issues would scare me off. He's only 18 and has already endured enough such issues that I just don't want to draft a guy at 15 who is a big question mark.

Yeah, I’d like to avoid two Lauzon endings in 4 drafts. An article says it was his vertebrae, do you gamble on that being right and not coming back to haunt him? Maybe if you have a handful of higher picks this draft or he falls a tonne.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Who has concussion history?

Laffreniere? I searched and searched and all I could find is his leg injury -vs- Russia.

Links?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I’d like to avoid two Lauzon endings in 4 drafts. An article says it was his vertebrae, do you gamble on that being right and not coming back to haunt him? Maybe if you have a handful of higher picks this draft or he falls a tonne.

One of the concussions was. Two weren't.

Apparently NHL teams will have the doctor's report on him - and it's said to be comprehensive - so I guess we'll know a bit of what is in there by where he goes. But yeah, he feels like too big a risk for us. Ottawa with NYI's pick seems an obvious landing spot.

None of this is helping us cheer up Scandale though.

Who has concussion history?

Laffreniere? I searched and searched and all I could find is his leg injury -vs- Russia.

Links?

Hendrix Lapierre, not Lafreniere.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's worth reading the rangers board right now, especially going back through the draft thread as they find out they got #1. They're experiencing their Sidney Crosby moment just like we did years ago. It's really wonderful to see actually; the sheer joy of being a fan.

I want to be happy for them but nah. They already got second overall, Panarin and Trouba forced a trade to them (though he kinda sucked this year) last year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens desperately need to take a chance at #15 with an excellent skater with good hockey IQ, particularly offensive IQ...Pastrnak was picked 25th, why? Aho at #35. Barzal at #16...what do these guys have in common? Same with any defender: speed and offensive IQ...Lundell would be a wasted picked for them as he doesn’t have a high enough upside...we don’t know the future and maybe we’ll be picking in the top 5 in the next few years but maybe not...take a chance on someone who, when some media type does a redraft in 5 years, will be in their top 5...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What about this Yan Kuznetsov for the penguins?

This guy worth anything? He's a big body for one and pens needs a big body d that can actually play.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

f*** the Rangers, f*** their fans, f*** the State of New York, and f*** their insufferable, unintelligible f***ing accents.

It's bad enough their a bunch of f***ing morons, but speak a form of English I can f***ing hear.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I want to be happy for them but nah. They already got second overall, Panarin and Trouba forced a trade to them (though he kinda sucked this year) last year.

I don't want to be happy for them, which works out nicely, because I'm not.

The Pens desperately need to take a chance at #15 with an excellent skater with good hockey IQ, particularly offensive IQ...Pastrnak was picked 25th, why? Aho at #35. Barzal at #16...what do these guys have in common? Same with any defender: speed and offensive IQ...Lundell would be a wasted picked for them as he doesn’t have a high enough upside...we don’t know the future and maybe we’ll be picking in the top 5 in the next few years but maybe not...take a chance on someone who, when some media type does a redraft in 5 years, will be in their top 5...

Not a lot of those projected near the top 15 tbf. Reichel wouldn't be a bad shout though for that model.

Top 15 is more high skill, high IQ, some questions about size/skating for NHL level. Which I'm totally not against!

What about this Yan Kuznetsov for the penguins?

This guy worth anything? He's a big body for one and pens needs a big body d that can actually play.

Would be interested if we gained a pick near the end of 1st/end of the 2nd, but profile I'm reading says not enough offensive skill for 15OA.

Reactions: LOGiK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Not a lot of those projected near the top 15 tbf. Reichel wouldn't be a bad shout though for that model.

Top 15 is more high skill, high IQ, some questions about size/skating for NHL level. Which I'm totally not against!

Would be interested if we gained a pick near the end of 1st/end of the 2nd, but profile I'm reading says not enough offensive skill for 15OA.

if the Pens project there’s no one with speed and great offensive IQ that they can get at #15, then they should give the pick to Minn...but absolutely do not take a player with a lower ceiling but who has a NHL body, or might be ready for the NHL sooner, at #15...total waste

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land

It's good for the league if interest in New York increases due to this. The lockout killed a lot of fan support in NYC.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I dont know anything about him honestly, just looking at the draft order by tsn and he's a relatively large human on d pretty high on the pick sheet.

Do the pens really have interest in offensive d men ... again? Nothing wrong with just a solid d man with mobility and for crying out loud.... puck moving abilities.

High hockey iq would rate first for me. Size second and puck moving jostle between 2nd/3rd most important trait. Situation depending.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Forgot about that. New York at this rate might be empty by the time they contend though so :dunno:

I was just going to say, NYC area is in exodus mode. Giant metro's are not ideal land at the moment.
Even MSG... it's a very expensive area surrounded by for the most part, wealthy people. It's a little trip to get there from bronx/brooklyn/.... other boro's or jersey.

----

Other than that, NYR now need a new center for Laffie since I don't think they would break up the current first line... one year left on Lund's 8.5m contract.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I was just going to say, NYC area is in exodus mode. Giant metro's are not ideal land at the moment.
Even MSG... it's a very expensive area surrounded by for the most part, wealthy people. It's a little trip to get there from bronx/brooklyn/.... other boro's or jersey.

----

Other than that, NYR now need a new center for Laffie since I don't think they would break up the current first line... one year left on Lund's 8.5m contract.
Malkin?
For 1st (Carolina’s), 3rd (Dallas’), Deangelo and Gauthier?

DaveMuBai

Apr 14, 2020
Cool responses everyone. I was thinking more of the 12 year old fan that's already committed to saving up their allowance for a Lafreniere jersey, but I guess you could also just be bitter about it, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad