The next GM of the Vancouver Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Ditto. I'm leaning towards Hextall for some reason, but either should be sufficient.

Other then being a known name, what has Hextall done to warrant such praise? Any significant trades? Draft pics? Cups?

Not hating, asking a serious question because I don't quite see the appeal over a guy like Benning

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Other then being a known name, what has Hextall done to warrens such praise? Any significant trades? Draft pics? Cups?

Not hating, asking a serious question because I don't quite see the appeal over a guy like Benning

Agreed, Jim Benning played a huge part of Boston's championship winning team and has a excellent eye for talent.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Other then being a known name, what has Hextall done to warrant such praise? Any significant trades? Draft pics? Cups?

Ron+Hextall+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+sJtEoEcESMql.jpg

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Sounds good.

Keenan was the set the task of breaking down the Club Med atmosphere that had overtaken the Quinn era Canucks who had one of the top payrolls in the NHL but declining results. His trade of Linden laid the foundation for the Westcoast Express years and the drafting of the Sedins.

Keenan has a Stanley Cup on his resume and just won the Gagarin Cup - emblematic of KHL hockey supremacy.

Mike Keenan now has a KHL championship to go with his Stanley Cup title.

Keenan’s Metallurg Magnitogorsk team in Russia outscored Lev Prague 7-4 on Wednesday to capture the Kontinental Hockey League’s Gagarin Cup.

Keenan has become the first coach to win championships in the NHL and the KHL, while Lev was trying to become the first non-Russian team to capture the KHL crown.

The last foreign-born coach to reach the KHL final was Finland’s Kari Heikkila with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl during the league’s inaugural 2008-09 season.

Metallurg, which had two of the KHL’s top five scorers in forwards Sergei Mozyakin and Danis Zaripov, rolled to a franchise-best 35-19 record, tops in the 14-team East.​
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke..._keenans_russian_team_captures_khl_title.html

No thanks, Keenan is even more of a dinosaur than Torts, and I sincerely doubt he's on Linden's Christmas card list.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007

Good question.

Hextall has paid his dues just like Benning. Since his playing career ended in 1999, he's been a pro scout, director of player development, director of hockey operations, assistant general manager and a general manager of the AHL Manchester Monarchs. He's more than qualified to be the general manager of an NHL team.

Besides the pic of him raising the Cup, both teams he has worked for in Philadelphia and Los Angeles have pretty solid track records of drafting. This is one of Vancouver's weakest areas and its common knowledge that it needs to be addressed. If Hextall had a hand in the drafting in Los Angeles and Philly as is widely claimed by both organizations, the Canucks stand to benefit from hiring him.

All of that said, Benning would be a good hire too.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
What I fear most, regardless of what GM is hired, will he be able to bring in his old scouting staff? Will #16 allow the Canucks alumni who are current scouts to be fired?

As a GM your drafting is as good as your scouts. Yes we need a GM proficient in that area but the personnel needs to change too. (Not everyone, we have some decent scouts scattered here and there)

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Good question.

Hextall has paid his dues just like Benning. Since his playing career ended in 1999, he's been a pro scout, director of player development, director of hockey operations, assistant general manager and a general manager of the AHL Manchester Monarchs. He's more than qualified to be the general manager of an NHL team.

Besides the pic of him raising the Cup, both teams he has worked for in Philadelphia and Los Angeles have pretty solid track records of drafting. This is one of Vancouver's weakest areas and its common knowledge that it needs to be addressed. If Hextall had a hand in the drafting in Los Angeles and Philly as is widely claimed by both organizations, the Canucks stand to benefit from hiring him.

All of that said, Benning would be a good hire too.

Benning ran the draft for Boston. Not sure how involved Hextall has been or what role he has played.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Benning ran the draft for Boston. Not sure how involved Hextall has been or what role he has played.

Thats the thing for me too. Really want to see specific proof of how Hextall positively influence the Kings/Flyers.

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
Apparently Mckenzie mentioned Mike Futa as someone Linden was interested in. He's the director of amateur scouting for the Kings.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Apparently Mckenzie mentioned Mike Futa as someone Linden was interested in. He's the director of amateur scouting for the Kings.

Interesting choice, Mike Futa has been churning out NHL players from the draft like no one else.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wonder if the Canucks are looking to fill a assistant GM role and have Gilman as GM.

Doubt it. Why would someone leave their position as assistant GM in a better organization like LA or Boston to come here to be an assistant?

Anyone that can improve this teams scouting is good in my books. Benning is still first for me, but Hextall or Futa would be good as well.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Doubt it. Why would someone leave their position as assistant GM in a better organization like LA or Boston to come here to be an assistant?

Anyone that can improve this teams scouting is good in my books. Benning is still first for me, but Hextall or Futa would be good as well.

Futa is director of amateur scouting for LA so assistant GM
Would be a promotion.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
LA's drafting has been rock solid. I'd definitely say Futa deserves consideration and an interview. Why would Boston not let Benning go before the draft? I'm sure he's shared some of his opinions throughout the season and it's a pretty ****** move to potentially cost him a chance at a GM job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad