The next GM of the Vancouver Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can't see the Kings making Futa available until after the draft as well.

If I was a Bennining or Futa, I'd definitely be pushing for it and would be very upset if I was not allowed to interview. We're talking about a big raise in pay here......

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
those guys mentioned are with their current teams in the playoffs. i think they wont be avalible until the draft comes. that would be too late. linden's gotta do something fast. hire a g.m g.m hires his own staff and evaluates the whole teams

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I would prefer Doug Wilson if the Sharks decide to blow up their front office after this most recent collapse. Like most experienced general managers, he's made some questionable moves over his career, but I think he has done a good job developing the "next generation" of talent in San Jose during the past decade with players like Couture, Pavelski, and Vlasic. In addition, he's done a good job of drafting young NHL ready talent (Hertl, Nieto, Coyle) over the past few years, guys who are now making regular contributions to their team.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Farhan just mentioned that boston won't make Benning available until after the draft.
That's way too late.

I think Paul Fenton's name will be brought more in the next few weeks.
Yeah Fenton should get at least an interview.
--
We can afford to wait for Benning till after the draft if we have to, I've said this on canuckscorner! ...

I believe Gilman can handle the 2014 draft well, as he's adjusted the scouting staff as he seen fit for a tactile move to solidify the scouting in the WHL/OHL.

The team has been criticized in recent years for not drafting more players from British Columbia and the Western Hockey League. The shakeup in the scouting department, unnoticed outside the organization when it occurred last summer, saw chief scout Ron Delorme redeployed to Western Canada and an expansion of duties for director of player personnel Eric Crawford.

Crawford now manages both pro and amateur scouting. He has assumed some of the administrative duties previously handled by Delorme, who replaced Harold Snepsts as the main regional scout in the west. Snepsts now works with senior adviser Stan Smyl scouting and recruiting undrafted players from college and junior leagues.

The restructuring was overseen by assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, whose staff of 16 amateur and five pro scouts is one of the NHL's largest.

“This is absolutely not a demotion for Ron Delorme,†Gilman said before Thursday's Canuck game against the Minnesota Wild. “Far from it. Not only is he still our chief scout, but we're putting our best scout back in a region where we need to do better.

“We felt we had been systemically undervaluing players in the western region. The moves that were made were not done specifically to draft more players from the west. It was done after an analysis of where players (to the NHL) were coming from and where we were devoting our resources. We felt we needed to improve our coverage in the west. It is our backyard, but it's also a very big yard and we needed to scout it more efficiently.â€

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+taking+closer+look+Western+Canada+prospects/7935118/story.html#ixzz30S40cVRE

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
With the GM position vacant, how secure is Gilman's job? Or will the new GM have to accept him?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If the Canucks go with Futa, I think Blue Jackets template - The Davidson/Kekalainen tandem, will be what the Canucks will have. Davidson basically hired Kekalainen because he trusts his player evaluation. Davidson basically takes care of a lot if not all of the day to day aspects that a GM would normally take care of and Kekalainen basically goes and takes care of all of the player management/scouting/development (which is the system I think Burke wants to employ in Calgary but his ego will get in the way of doing it properly).

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Boston's GMs in waiting:

It’s wise to hire and promote front-office talent from the smartest and most successful franchises. Those executives know exactly what it takes to win, they’ve been raised and influenced by successful mentors with championship track records.

Time and time again, it proves to be sound strategy when looking to turn a franchise around. The Minnesota Wild continue to grow under GM Chuck Fletcher, lured away from the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Montreal Canadiens are an Eastern Conference threat again in large part because of the work done by Marc Bergevin, hired after winning a Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks.

After the Los Angeles Kings won it all, the Philadelphia Flyers were able to persuade Ron Hextall to return to Philadelphia, and it’s a safe bet that he’ll one day be the GM there. The Dallas Stars have to be thrilled with the job done by Jim Nill, who developed with the Detroit Red Wings. Same goes for Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning.

For teams that have won a Stanley Cup in the past several years, chances are there’s been a payoff for part of the management team. With one exception.

The Boston Bruins are again favorites to come out of the East. They already have one Stanley Cup in the Peter Chiarelli era and could have had two. They manage the cap beautifully, they develop young talent to complement the veterans and they aren’t afraid to make bold trades to continue to stock their team with the players who fit their identity.

Yet both of Chiarelli’s lieutenants are still waiting for an opportunity to branch out and duplicate this success somewhere else. Assistant general managers Jim Benning and Don Sweeney aren’t self-promoters and they aren’t Hall of Fame former players, which seems to help when it comes to landing the next job.

They are, however, ready to run their own teams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=2595

Last edited by a moderator:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
With the GM position vacant, how secure is Gilman's job? Or will the new GM have to accept him?

I don't think anyone will be pushed on the new GM, but Gilman is very well respected in the league. The only way I see Gilman not being a part of the management team going forward is if someone else hires him as a GM.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I would prefer Doug Wilson if the Sharks decide to blow up their front office after this most recent collapse. Like most experienced general managers, he's made some questionable moves over his career, but I think he has done a good job developing the "next generation" of talent in San Jose during the past decade with players like Couture, Pavelski, and Vlasic. In addition, he's done a good job of drafting young NHL ready talent (Hertl, Nieto, Coyle) over the past few years, guys who are now making regular contributions to their team.

I agree, if there is any rumours Wilson is getting axed Linden has to wait until that is settled, imo.

Wilson is a tier above the Bennings and McNabbs of the league, imo.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm a little iffy on Benning, compared to other qualified candidates.

Here's the Ducks draft history with McNab(I believe he's been there since their first year):
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

And Benning got hired in July of 2007, so here's the Bruins draft history(start from 2008):

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

Futa was hired to the Kings in June of 2007, not sure how much say he had in that draft, so start either in the year 2007 or 2008:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006664.html

Fenton took over the Preds drafts since 2003 until 2008, but was promoted to assistant GM from then on. Here's the Preds draft history:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007024.html

There's obviously other factors into play, but from what I've been reading all of these guys had a major influence on their team's drafts. Also have to include UDFA's.

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
We are fortunate that this seems to be a good year for changes in front office and coaching. There are plenty of good options available.

I think Benning, Gillman, Hextall are undoubtedly top candidates. I wouldn't know who is better without talking to them about their vision and approach. As an assistant GM, they have to implement the senior guy's vision. I'd like to hear about what they want to accomplish here. We are not going to hear any of that until the press conference announcing the new GM is held.

As far as coaching candidates, it is also a good year.

Peter Laviolette, John Stevens, Guy Bucher, Barry Trots, and possibly Todd McLellan are all excellent coaches. Kevin Dineen should also get some consideration. IMO - I have some concerns about Trots ability to coach an up tempo offensive style. Same thing with Dineen - at the NHL level his reputation is for no nonsense, tough north-south hockey.

What I want out of this change is a management and coaching team that is committed to the same vision of how the team should play and be constructed. Gillis and Vigneault had that, and had success when the game plan matched the personnel. I want winning hockey, but I also want entertaining hockey.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Wilson's drafting is odd.

Loves to trade up to target guys and draft's ridiculously well in the late rounds.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
What about Tim Burke from the Sharks?

From Wikipedia:

In addition to being the principal decision-maker at the draft table, Burke is also responsible for evaluating amateur talent at every level in all North American and European leagues and supervises all aspects of the club's amateur scouting efforts.

Burke's hard work and keen decision making, coupled with the talents of his competent staff at evaluating players, has produced admired results.

Burke's selection process has helped the Sharks create a solid foundation of talented players from which to build the franchise around — including Patrick Marleau (1997), Douglas Murray (1999), Ryane Clowe (2001), Joe Pavelski (2003), Thomas Greiss (2004), Torrey Mitchell (2004), Marc-Edouard Vlasic (2005), Jamie McGinn (2006) Justin Braun (2007) and 2011 Calder Memorial Trophy runner-up Logan Couture (2007), all of whom played prominent roles in the Sharks recent seasons. Since the 2003 NHL Draft, no NHL team has produced more games played among their drafted players than the Sharks (3,123) and the Sharks are tied for first in the NHL for average number of homegrown players on the team’s roster each season since the 2005-06.

I know that the SHarks are known for being a good draft team that will trade picks to jockey for position and have had success going off the board.

Assistant coach at Princeton University from 1984-86.

From 1987-92, he spent five seasons in the New Jersey Devils organization, serving in several capacities, including as a Devils assistant coach, head coach for the American Hockey League's Utica Devils and as a pro scout.

1992–96 Director of professional scouting for San Jose.

1996-Present: Director of scouting for the San Jose Sharks.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
IF YOU WANT A SHARKS GUY:

Tim Burke
Director of Scouting

S.J_Burke_Tim.jpg

Tim Burke enters his 16th season as the head of the Sharks scouting department.

Burke, 57, coordinates and oversees the Sharks efforts in the National Hockey League's annual Entry Draft while working closely with Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson and his staff. In addition to being the principal decision-maker at the draft table, Burke is also responsible for evaluating amateur talent at every level in all North American and European leagues and supervises all aspects of the club's amateur scouting efforts.

Burke's hard work and keen decision making, coupled with the talents of his competent staff at evaluating players, has produced admired results. Burke's selection process has helped the Sharks create a solid foundation of talented players from which to build the franchise around — including Patrick Marleau (1997), Douglas Murray (1999), Ryane Clowe (2001), Joe Pavelski (2003), Thomas Greiss (2004), Marc-Edouard Vlasic (2005), Justin Braun (2007), 2011 Calder Memorial Trophy runner-up Logan Couture (2007), Jason Demers (2008) and Tommy Wingels (2008), all of whom played prominent roles in the Sharks recent seasons.

Since the 2003 NHL Draft, Sharks draft selections have played the second-most games of any NHL team’s draft picks (4,078), despite the organization having the lowest average draft position of any NHL team during that span (137.96).

A member of the Sharks scouting department since the 1992-93 campaign, Burke was promoted to his current position on June 4, 1996. Before his promotion, Burke served as director of professional scouting from 1992-96 and evaluated talent throughout all North American professional leagues and assisted with amateur scouting.

From 1987-92, he spent five seasons in the New Jersey Devils organization, serving in several capacities, including as a Devils assistant coach, head coach for the American Hockey League's Utica Devils and as a pro scout. Burke was also an assistant coach at Princeton University from 1984-86.

A former defenseman, Burke was selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the seventh round (124th overall) of the 1975 NHL Entry Draft and by the Chicago Cougars in the second round (25th overall) of the 1974 World Hockey Association Entry Draft. He was a four-year letterman in both hockey and baseball at the University of New Hampshire, where he was named to the NCAA's All-America hockey team after his senior campaign.

He played seven years of professional hockey following his outstanding collegiate career, including three seasons (1977-80) with the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, the Canadiens AHL affiliate, and one season with Jokerit Helsinki in the Finnish Elite League.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
More on Tim Burke:

http://insidehockey.com/sharks-scouting-department-goes-underappreciated

Here is Burke's all-time draft pick team:

Patrick Marleau—Logan Couture—Charlie Coyle
Milan Michalek—Tomas Hertl—Ryane Clowe
Jamie McGinn—Joe Pavelski—Devin Setoguchi
Mikael Samuelsson—Nick Bonino—Tommy Wingels
Matt Nieto—Marcel Goc—Torrey Mitchell

Christian Ehrhoff—Jason Demers
Marc-Edouard Vlasic—Justin Braun
Matt Carle—Brad Stuart
Scott Hannan—Douglas Murray

Thomas Greiss
Alex Stalock

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Surprised Jeff Gorton doesn't get more play if we're talking about the Bruins. Benning had sweet ****-all to do with the powerhouse team they drafted. Jeff Gorton, on the other hand, managed to compose that team during his brief 2 months on the job before Chiarelli took over. He drafted Kessel, Lucic, Marchand and traded Raycroft for Rask. Then he went and signed Chara and Savard in the UFA market.

Who knows how much of that he's actually responsible for but I don't see anything particularly impressive on Benning's resume that should make him such a clear favourite.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Loves to trade up to target guys and draft's ridiculously well in the late rounds.

Yep, but he's also shown the ability to retool an existing team while accumulating draft picks. I think the Sharks had ten different picks at the 2013 draft, helped by two astute trades at the deadline last year.

Ryan Clowe traded for a 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick.

Douglas Murray traded for two 2nd round picks.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Surprised Jeff Gorton doesn't get more play if we're talking about the Bruins. Benning had sweet ****-all to do with the powerhouse team they drafted. Jeff Gorton, on the other hand, managed to compose that team during his brief 2 months on the job before Chiarelli took over. He drafted Kessel, Lucic, Marchand and traded Raycroft for Rask. Then he went and signed Chara and Savard in the UFA market.

Who knows how much of that he's actually responsible for but I don't see anything particularly impressive on Benning's resume that should make him such a clear favourite.

wait, was gorton actually the GM on record for all of those transactions? holy ****

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
wait, was gorton actually the GM on record for all of those transactions? holy ****

Well, Chiarelli didn't officially assume office until July 15th so yeah... But who knows if he had any input or if someone else in the organization was responsible.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Benning's track record for talent evaluation is seen with his Sabres tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad