Speculation: The next GM of the Sharks will be....

Next Sharks GM will be hired by

• Before entry draft (7/7)

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • Before free agency (7/13)

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Before start of season (circa 10/1)

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Before Christmas 2022

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Is it weird that I kind of feel like this is already DW Jr.'s team? His drafting and player type targeting is the only part of the organization that feels like it has any planning and forethought to it. And eventually these kids are gonna be the driving force of the team.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
The end of his interview was very funny. "some of our candidates are experts on cap, some on scouting and some are connected to the sharks". Two great categories you would want in a gm, and one that no one should care about as it doesnt help build a team at all
  • We need the ones that are experts on cap management. That's what's been most lacking in the org.
  • For scouting, I have enough faith in DW Jr. to make this skill less important. That said, they should have a really good hockey sense and at least be able to assess the current skill set & values of players.
  • And for connections to the Sharks - honestly that's really not a plus at all to me. We need someone with an open mind that's not afraid to make changes. Someone that has pre-existing friends with the Sharks may be less likely to do so.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
  • We need the ones that are experts on cap management. That's what's been most lacking in the org.
  • For scouting, I have enough faith in DW Jr. to make this skill less important. That said, they should have a really good hockey sense and at least be able to assess the current skill set & values of players.
  • And for connections to the Sharks - honestly that's really not a plus at all to me. We need someone with an open mind that's not afraid to make changes. Someone that has pre-existing friends with the Sharks may be less likely to do so.
That 1st one most likely will not change going forward, considering the hockey person involved in the hiring is the one that is basically the cap expert in the management position already.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What proof was there that Sakic or Yzerman could?

At least both players were captains of multiple Stanley-Cup-winning teams. Both also have tremendous cache and respect around the league. Can't say the same for Grier or Whitney; certainly not Mellanby.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
At least both players were captains of multiple Stanley-Cup-winning teams. Both also have tremendous cache and respect around the league. Can't say the same for Grier or Whitney; certainly not Mellanby.
Definitely can say the same for Whitney, lesser amount for Grier but still hugely respected. I think Mellanby is too.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Offer the GM tile to Vlasic if he promises to retire? Pay same amount for his GM duties so he doesn’t lose out? Honestly, with Hasso as our owner, it doesn’t matter who our coach or who our and GM is. Hasso will not allow us to properly rebuild, so no StanleyCup soup for us

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Offer the GM tile to Vlasic if he promises to retire? Pay same amount for his GM duties so he doesn’t lose out?….
I know this post was made in jest but I wonder if there are rules against things like this in the CBA. What would happen if Vlasic retired as a player and took a job as a development coach for defenseman getting paid $8M per year?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know this post was made in jest but I wonder if there are rules against things like this in the CBA. What would happen if Vlasic retired as a player and took a job as a development coach for defenseman getting paid $8M per year?
They have a catch all sort of thing for cap circumvention.

NewMuzu24

May 28, 2018
Does this tweet imply that he is out now? Kind seems like it
It certainly implies it with “was” and “another front office”, but hard to tell if he is actually reporting that Whitney is no longer in the running.

Whole thing is a mess. The “3-5 candidates” and “we’re doing in-person interviews” at this point is just ridiculous. Let alone the idea that something recently discussed made them trigger the coaching change.

Just say “I’ll update when we have an update, and I expect that to be soon.” Asshat.

I’m probably just cranky. Sharks are my favorite team. A’s are my second favorite team… only the A’s could lose 2-1 and have it take a full three hours while blowing it in the 8th and 9th. This is a lean sports year.

Everyone buy stock in liquor companies.

Let’s go Villanova.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It certainly implies it with “was” and “another front office”, but hard to tell if he is actually reporting that Whitney is no longer in the running.

Whole thing is a mess. The “3-5 candidates” and “we’re doing in-person interviews” at this point is just ridiculous. Let alone the idea that something recently discussed made them trigger the coaching change.

Just say “I’ll update when we have an update, and I expect that to be soon.” Asshat.

I’m probably just cranky. Sharks are my favorite team. A’s are my second favorite team… only the A’s could lose 2-1 and have it take a full three hours while blowing it in the 8th and 9th. This is a lean sports year.

Everyone buy stock in liquor companies.

Let’s go Villanova.
With the way inflation is going I think it would be better to buy stock in grains because people are going to start fermenting alcohol out of their bathtubs.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
In the final interview phase they make the interviewees repeat what they say

"I will listen to Hasso"
"We will make the playoffs"
"The R-word is forbidden"

And see who obeys the best
Gooble gobble
Gooble gobble
We accept her
We accept her
One of us