Speculation: The next GM of the Sharks will be....

Next Sharks GM will be hired by

• Before entry draft (7/7)

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • Before free agency (7/13)

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Before start of season (circa 10/1)

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Before Christmas 2022

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
"Sharks owner Hasso Plattner does not want a full rebuild and it will be made very clear to candidates that you're not coming in and going scorched earth on this roster."

Why even bother hiring a GM if that person won't be allowed to make basic decisions on the direction of the team? Hasso should just be the GM since he seems to know so much about hockey.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
They should just put polls/trade/etc. on Sharks HFBoards and we can vote on what they should do. Direct democracy: what could go wrong?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ned Colletti. You heard it here first. :laugh:
He is an experienced general manager, so it's not really a wildly ludicrous suggestion. I wouldn't count on it, but I don't know that a GM really needs to be a lifelong devotee of their sport to be good at their job, as long as their management, negotiation, planning, and hiring skills are good. I don't remember his tenure with the Dodgers well enough to evaluate how he was in those departments, though.

On the other hand, beat LA.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
He is an experienced general manager, so it's not really a wildly ludicrous suggestion. I wouldn't count on it, but I don't know that a GM really needs to be a lifelong devotee of their sport to be good at their job, as long as their management, negotiation, planning, and hiring skills are good. I don't remember his tenure with the Dodgers well enough to evaluate how he was in those departments, though.

On the other hand, beat LA.
To be fair, he was a long time assistant GM to Brian Sabean with the Giants.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm actually very curious about the idea of GM's managing teams outside of their specific sport..As in, what would be the not so obvious learning curve to a John Lynch being the GM of the Sharks or Doug Wilson venturing into the NFL? On the surface it sounds dumb but I actually think its a fascinating conversation and idea.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm actually very curious about the idea of GM's managing teams outside of their specific sport..As in, what would be the not so obvious learning curve to a John Lynch being the GM of the Sharks or Doug Wilson venturing into the NFL? On the surface it sounds dumb but I actually think its a fascinating conversation and idea.
Didn’t the Browns hire a baseball gm or management type to work in their front office a few years back?

Edit: they did; Paul Depodesta still works in the Browns front office.

At the end of the day, talent is talent and finances are finances. If a guy can make the best of both in one sport I think it’s close minded to think they can’t succeed in another. If they hire a good staff with their same principles it should work.

Reactions: ChompChomp

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
JFJ is both a former GM and a rising AGM who has paid his dues and is familiar with the organization. He's got the inside track.

Real answer: it's gonna be Joe Will, officially hired before the start of the season because no psycho exists that will accept this team as contenders.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Honestly it has little do with even being a GM. Sports are a very insular business and hockey is the worst of the bunch.

The bigger issue is Platner's steadfast refusal to entertain a tear-down. The top GM candidates will refuse to interview because they are hamstrung off the bat.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just hope they hire a new GM before signing Ferraro. Anyone who hasn't been brainwashed by this organization would realize that guy is a #4 defenseman at best and shouldn't be signed long term.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Hasso said this in 2015 and I'm guessing the same thought applies to the current roster:

"You can't buy a team, you have to build it which is very fair. And after you traded picks for ready-to-play veterans, you sooner or later have to start rebuilding the team. We had hoped that we can do both, stay competitive and rebuild at the same time. It was close but the other teams in our conference were better."

The Sharks will continue to "rebuild" without tanking. AKA committing to win without trading their draft picks as JW and Becher alluded to. The team will probably be bad next year which will mean high draft picks in 2021(Eklund), 2022(Currently 10th), and 2023 to build around.

Reactions: one2gamble

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
As long as it's not a recycled boomer gm I'm happy, would like to see DW jr remain in his current position for some spice tho

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
As long as it's not a recycled boomer gm I'm happy, would like to see DW jr remain in his current position for some spice tho
You do realize that a boomer GM would have to be around 70 years old right? I mean, maybe Scotty Bowman's available?:laugh:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I just hope they hire a new GM before signing Ferraro. Anyone who hasn't been brainwashed by this organization would realize that guy is a #4 defenseman at best and shouldn't be signed long term.
Sort of agree. His personality makes up for a lot of bad play with the franchise. He just shouldn't get a big cap hit or term until he settles his game down for better results. He has all the tools but he plays like squirrel on crack. I'm hoping it's simply youth and still being kinda new to the league. I think he should get a 3x2 or 3x3 but I'm guess that's unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad