Speculation: The next GM of the Sharks will be....

Next Sharks GM will be hired by

• Before entry draft (7/7)

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • Before free agency (7/13)

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Before start of season (circa 10/1)

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Before Christmas 2022

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The mysterious 3rd candidate is BY FAR the most interesting part of this GM search so far

They should have played it like there were always 2 front runners in Grier and Whitney but tease a 3rd candidate that was totally different

Buh God it's Jumbo Joe Thornton! And he proceeds to "chock" the other 2 out. And it is explained his finishing move "the chock" is a combination between choke and shock.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We already know its three, and its been that way for a week? Atleast with Doug the zero transparancy seemed to help him maintain a veil against other teams, this seems to just be keeping fans in the dark.
It’s more the “it’s not done.” Like I get taking time and I’m fully for it but this needs to be done in the next week. Not necessarily for draft but for FA.

Reactions: themelkman

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Friedman on 32 thoughts says the coaching world is kind of upset that they would fire the coach this late into the offseason, wont score them any points.

Also says they made it a priority to hire a former player as gm because the front office doesnt have many former players.

Have talked with both Burns and Karlsson about the future.
Darche is a former Shark.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Frank Seravelli said on the DFO rundown yesterday that he was told Ray Whitney was already out. Lebrun to me has far better sharks sources, but its a weird contradiction.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’m starting to really think it’s gonna be Grier. They chose to keep Nabby on because he’s in a developmental role. Or at least that’s what Will said. Just my opinion, but I get the feeling a former Shark like Grier would want to keep a former teammate on staff.

Reactions: Gecklund

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
For all the (not unreasonable) negativity around here regarding this search and just the general direction of the Sharks, I thought Joe Will did say some things that give me hope that the person coming in as GM has some good plans for changing things up in a meaningful and positive direction. I liked this in particular:

Well, one of the things that we’ve we’ve talked about with multiple GM candidates, and it’s again, kind of a commonality with our finalists, is they all really want to ramp up the area of player development. Especially with the salary cap, more young players in this league, and everything else. They each really want to have a separate distinct development department, with a head of development and in very specific roles within there.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For all the (not unreasonable) negativity around here regarding this search and just the general direction of the Sharks, I thought Joe Will did say some things that give me hope that the person coming in as GM has some good plans for changing things up in a meaningful and positive direction. I liked this in particular:
That quote just shows what’s wrong with the org though…. “Hey let’s do something most teams have had for 5 years!”

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
That quote just shows what’s wrong with the org though…. “Hey let’s do something most teams have had for 5 years!”
Yeah. But thank god they seem to be talking to guys who get that, who see the problems in place and aren't afraid to make a big case that they need to be addressed. In that sense, it doesn't even matter who is hired among these somewhat mysterious finalists; they all are capable of moving the front office in a direction that it needs to go.

(Analytics, too--something Will also mentioned a couple times in passing--is obviously an area where the front office has been lacking, as evidenced by a recent Athletic article showing how analytical each front office is, with the Sharks near the bottom; my hope is that being mentioned a couple times also signifies that the new person from this group of finalists is going to make that a much bigger part of things.)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The end of his interview was very funny. "some of our candidates are experts on cap, some on scouting and some are connected to the sharks". Two great categories you would want in a gm, and one that no one should care about as it doesnt help build a team at all

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah. But thank god they seem to be talking to guys who get that, who see the problems in place and aren't afraid to make a big case that they need to be addressed. In that sense, it doesn't even matter who is hired among these somewhat mysterious finalists; they all are capable of moving the front office in a direction that it needs to go.

(Analytics, too--something Will also mentioned a couple times in passing--is obviously an area where the front office has been lacking, as evidenced by a recent Athletic article showing how analytical each front office is, with the Sharks near the bottom; my hope is that being mentioned a couple times also signifies that the new person from this group of finalists is going to make that a much bigger part of things.)
I don’t think they should get credit for catching up to the times after being so far behind.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I don’t think they should get credit for catching up to the times after being so far behind.
Credit? No. But as a fan, I certainly feel a sense of relief that it at least appears as if they're going to be catching up going forward. The alternative is an unwelcome thought, to put it politely.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Whitney wasn't a "hanger-on" for the Canes Stanley Cup. He would have been a 60+ point guy if he played a full season and scored 9 goals in the playoffs. And then scored another 163 goals after that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad