OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
We almost did. But then it all went wrong with hotel quarantine. Aus citizens returning to the country from overseas were required to enter mandatory quarantine in designated hotels for 14 days. Which was fine but then in June some of the under-trained security guards who were patrolling the hotels in Melbourne caught the virus from a few infectious returning travellers. No-one realised for awhile because some of these guys kept working rather than risk losing income, which spread it further, and before we knew it families and then friends had it, and there were hundreds of new cases before any response was made. They've spent 3 weeks trying a partial lockdown, but it didn't work very well - I think people are just over all the restrictions - so now they've gone the nuclear option. Let's see how it goes.

The strange thing is the rest of the country except Sydney, which has a small number of cases, is completely virus-free. So it's an odd contrast between people with nearly full freedom in most of the country, and one part that is essentially trapped at home.

I think the approach to eradicate local outbreaks with targeted draconian efforts is the right one, otherwise in 2 months the whole country will end up being locked down.

I'm in a small province in a "bubble" with 3 others, and the cases are almost at zero, all travel related, and any infections are contract traced to death, and locations are massively tested when necessary. We can live with this thing, but the key is to keep the numbers low (not at zero), and deal with them harshly when they do pop up.

Australia is being watched, not because you're doing a bad job, but because the rest of us are trying to get a handle on how to deal with a second wave.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Saw this morning that the Worcester area is going to see 60+ MPH gusts from it, so if you have anything on your decks or lawns that can fly away, anchor it down or bring it inside.

Reactions: Gee Wally and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Charging up my laptop now and then I am good here.

I'm expecting to lose power. A lot of very dry, dead trees between the power poles and the main transformer for the complex.

Aquarium T Stop getting prepared for potential flooding from the harbor

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I like that some districts (or maybe it's all of Mass, I don't know) are at least giving parents the choice for remote learning. HOWEVER...forcing them to then use teachers NOT in their school or even their district is a joke.

Everything about this school year and how it's being planned for is a joke. A very dangerous joke.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I like that some districts (or maybe it's all of Mass, I don't know) are at least giving parents the choice for remote learning. HOWEVER...forcing them to then use teachers NOT in their school or even their district is a joke.

Everything about this school year and how it's being planned for is a joke. A very dangerous joke.

Nothing better than having your children used as pawns, right? Good times.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This video out of Beirut Lebanon is insane.

Not sure if it was from an attack. Reports say it was a fireworks warehouse in the port area of the city.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I homeschooled my three boys. We found it so much more accommodating then public school. But I understand that it is not for everybody, and not all types of homeschool learning options are the same. It's all about what works best for your situation and your children; and what works for you may be different than what another family does.

I homeschooled my children under the umbrella of Homelife Academy. We picked and submitted our own curriculum and proceeded at our own pace. At first getting everything set up and getting the kids to follow their daily assignments can be chore, but once you get the hang of it it's really not that bad. As a parent you just need to be consistent.

We used textbooks and a daily schedule of classes for each child to follow which worked really well for our family. We administered the tests that came with each subjects curriculum and when the time came we submitted their grades for each semester. One of my sons tried remote learning video through the County school system for one semester his junior year but it didn't work out well it wasn't a good match for him so we went back to the textbooks which was a better fit.

My two older boys attended public school for their senior year and both of them got high honors. So homeschooling was not detrimental to their learning in fact it seemed to prepared them better then what the public schools were offering.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I don't know if it has been mentioned here before but how they are counting new cases may not be totally accurate.

For example if I tested positive and I was in contact with 19 other people then they are counting all 20 people as positive whether they are or not. So in theory it could take only five true positive people with 19 contacts each to suddenly reach 100 positive reports.

I could post my sources but I don't want to get banded because they are alternative conservative news sources and some may consider that political. But do the research yourself, the truth is out there.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Disclaimer: there is nothing political in this video just some interesting information about wearing masks. Mods if posting this violates some rule please remove, there is no ill intent here.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Out here in Central Mass... we just got a tornado warning, Grafton, Milbury, Upton and Worcester. From now until 9:00 tonight.
I think you mean watch. If you got a warning you best go hide in the basement b/c it means a tornado is on the ground in your area

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad