Post-Game Talk (GBU): The new guys, the return of Lu

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Bergeron is their number one center. Krejci is an excellent player, but Bergeron is what drives that team.

I'd love to see what Hodgson could do behind Reinhart in three years.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Krecji isn't elite? give me a break. Again, he is the #1 center on the team that has won a Stanley Cup and lost in the finals 2 of the last 3 years. You guys are way too high on Hodgson. He shows flashes offensively but outside of that not even close to Krecji.

Not to take away from Krecji, but he's surrounded by elite players. He's definitely not a complimentary piece in Boston, but he benefits from his situation nonetheless. I don't see how Hodgson couldn't put up similar point totals in the near future.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Bergeron is their number one center. Krejci is an excellent player, but Bergeron is what drives that team.

No he's not, if anything they are 1A/1B. Krejci centers the Bruins #1 line. He and Bergeron are equally important.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Not to take away from Krecji, but he's surrounded by elite players. He's definitely not a complimentary piece in Boston, but he benefits from his situation nonetheless. I don't see how Hodgson couldn't put up similar point totals in the near future.

OK player vs player Krejci>Hodgson in every aspect of the game. Every single aspect, it is not even close. The bruins would never have a Cody Hodgson on the team, not their type of player.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
No he's not, if anything they are 1A/1B. Krejci centers the Bruins #1 line. He and Bergeron are equally important.

Well i suppose they have an equal importance when it come to ther impact on the Bruins, but Bergeron is more valuable, as he is the harder piece to find. Bergeron is still Bergeron without Krejci. Krejci is good, but not great without Bergeron.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Well i suppose they have an equal importance when it come to ther impact on the Bruins, but Bergeron is more valuable, as he is the harder piece to find. Bergeron is still Bergeron without Krejci. Krejci is good, but not great without Bergeron.

Ahhh it is close. Krejci doesn't get the credit he deserves for his physicality/defense. My argument wasn't Bergeron vs. Krejci, it was Krejci vs Hodgson.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
OK player vs player Krejci>Hodgson in every aspect of the game. Every single aspect, it is not even close. The bruins would never have a Cody Hodgson on the team, not their type of player.

Right now? Yes absolutely. No one is arguing that. All I'm saying is what I've seen from Hosgson lately makes me think he could become a very similar player over the next couple of seasons.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Ahhh it is close. Krejci doesn't get the credit he deserves for his physicality/defense. My argument wasn't Bergeron vs. Krejci, it was Krejci vs Hodgson.

I think Hodgson could approach Krejci's production on a good team. I agree he isn't as good, but i think a team could win the cup with him as a "second line center." I put that in parentheses as ideally it would be a situation where we have a third line centered by Larsson or Girgensons that plays a similar amount of time against harder competition. Something that would allow Hodgson to feast on lesser compeition with a couple of big, defensively competent wingers.

I'm going way down the line into fantasy land now. :laugh:

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Hodgson looked damn good with 2 big wingers in Foligno and Stewart.. Similar to Krejci playing with Lucic and Horton/Iginla.

Of course right now Krejci is better, but Hodgson doesnt have Lucic or Horton/Iginla playing with him either.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012

Hodgson looked damn good with 2 big wingers in Foligno and Stewart.. Similar to Krejci playing with Lucic and Horton/Iginla.

Of course right now Krejci is better, but Hodgson doesnt have Lucic or Horton/Iginla playing with him either.

OK I give up. Hodgson is -19 on the season, and doesn't show any battle defensively. Is he gifted in the offensive zone? sure. Hodgson will never become David Krejci, not even close. For the Sabres sake, I hope he does but it is never going to happen.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
OK I give up. Hodgson is -19 on the season, and doesn't show any battle defensively. Is he gifted in the offensive zone? sure. Hodgson will never become David Krejci, not even close. For the Sabres sake, I hope he does but it is never going to happen.

+/- is a worthless statistic. Vanek led the league in +/- one year, is he a great defensive player?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Your first mistake was using +/- as a variable to determine defensive play.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Your first mistake was using +/- as a variable to determine defensive play.

OK, then how about this, Cody Hodgson absolutely sucks in the defensive zone and my variable is watching him absolutely suck night in and night out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Granted its an incredibly small sample size. But I like what I see with Hodgson centering big aggressive wingers.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
OK, then how about this, Cody Hodgson absolutely sucks in the defensive zone and my variable is watching him absolutely suck night in and night out.

I agree with you, and Hodgson is not the type of player teams win with. +/- does have a place in the debate, especially when the numbers are telling the truth. He's the worst possession forward on the team. The only regulars with worse corsi numbers are Sulzer and Weber, so that should tell you all you need to know. So, yeah, there is a reason his +/- is crap, it's not just random. He is gifted in 1/3rd of the ice, but is a liability everywhere else. He's a bad skater and doesn't compete. He has a good shot, good hands and good vision, and also has a knack for finding the right place in the offensive zone. I don't see this team being good if he is playing anything other than a very minor role.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Hodgson just played a pair of very strong games in all three zones for the first time in a while, was rewarded with PK time -- albeit partially due to a shortened bench -- and people are still *****ing about his game?

Shut up and hope he builds on it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I agree with you, and Hodgson is not the type of player teams win with. +/- does have a place in the debate, especially when the numbers are telling the truth. He's the worst possession forward on the team. The only regulars with worse corsi numbers are Sulzer and Weber, so that should tell you all you need to know. So, yeah, there is a reason his +/- is crap, it's not just random. He is gifted in 1/3rd of the ice, but is a liability everywhere else. He's a bad skater and doesn't compete. He has a good shot, good hands and good vision, and also has a knack for finding the right place in the offensive zone. I don't see this team being good if he is playing anything other than a very minor role.

Look at the contextual stats like QoC and offensive zone starts. There are more players than Sulzer and Weber with worse Corsi numbers, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

This should be taken to the advanced stats thread if we're gonna argue further.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Some are living in October 2012 when Hodgson was terrible defensively. Compared to then, in March 2014, CoHo is better defensively. Hands down. He's no 2 way defensive center juggernaut. But to keep pushing the tired, warped, and frankly, ignorant viewpoint that he just flat out sucks defensively (strongly implying he hasn't improved at all) is pathetic.

Yes, of course it's fair to say he needs to CONTINUE to improve in that area. He'll most likely never ever be a strong 2 way player. He's still developing. Just like all the other young guys on the team.

ZeroPT*

I really hope Folidno-Hodgson-Deslauriers actually end up playing together more than 3 shifts

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Look at the contextual stats like QoC and offensive zone starts. There are more players than Sulzer and Weber with worse Corsi numbers, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

This should be taken to the advanced stats thread if we're gonna argue further.

if anyone on this thread thinks CH will ever be a part of a stanley cup team you are sadly mistaken. The guy is so soft, has no respect in the room which is part of the reason Vancouver shipped him out, get a clue guys..

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
if anyone on this thread thinks CH will ever be a part of a stanley cup team you are sadly mistaken. The guy is so soft, has no respect in the room which is part of the reason Vancouver shipped him out, get a clue guys..

Statements like your first one are so tiresome. Literally any player capable of playing in the NHL can be on a Stanley Cup team. The list of poor players who've won Stanley Cups is endless. How in hell would you know he has no respect "in the room" in Buffalo? How do you even know he didn't in Vancouver? He had issues with management in Vancouver.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Statements like your first one are so tiresome. Literally any player capable of playing in the NHL can be on a Stanley Cup team. The list of poor players who've won Stanley Cups is endless. How in hell would you know he has no respect "in the room" in Buffalo? How do you even know he didn't in Vancouver? He had issues with management in Vancouver.
As someone who follows the Canucks as a secondary team, his second statement is far more tiresome than his first. Frankly, Vancouver's front office hasn't done much right since they made the cup finals. Do we really want to use the rumor that Vancouver just didn't want him anymore as a strike against him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad