JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
4 oz egg nog
3 oz black coffee
2 oz kraken rum

heat, pour in mug and scrape cinnamon stick with knife over top

purr like a kitten

I've been really enjoying rums lately.

I was given a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 year old that I'm tasting right now. Magnificent!

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
ill say this

2015 can go **** itself with a fire poker

a new year…….more things i wont tolerate to the list.

this is gonna be fun

happy new year boarders

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ill say this

2015 can go **** itself with a fire poker

a new year…….more things i wont tolerate to the list.

this is gonna be fun

happy new year boarders

Burn 2015 with fire. I'm sad and happy that it's over. I'm only sad that it's over because now we're further away from 2013.

This year was an abomination, especially the entire month of May. The month of May 2015 was enough to ruin the entire decade for me.:laugh:

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
My girlfriend got me a growler for Christmas and it's been so awesome for me. I call it my beer thermos and it just makes me happy

To the folks on here that have a growler, what do you have or prefer: stainless steel or glass?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Anyone try the Crown Royal Hand Select Barrel? I normally don't like Crown/Canadian Whisky but oh my lord is this one good. Incredibly smooth with a really nice flavor.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
So while watching the game last night I decided to hit the bourbon as usual. I started with my staple: Benchmark -Inexpensive and can drink pretty easily. I kicked it, so I went to a couple fingers of Makers. Not sure why, but the makers didn't do it for me. Maybe I am used to cheap crap, but the benchmark was smoother and had a better taste.... at 1/3 the cost.
Benchmark is made by Buffalo trace(Blanton's also) so I guess I should not be surprised.

BUt I was more surprised that the makers was more harsh.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
So while watching the game last night I decided to hit the bourbon as usual. I started with my staple: Benchmark -Inexpensive and can drink pretty easily. I kicked it, so I went to a couple fingers of Makers. Not sure why, but the makers didn't do it for me. Maybe I am used to cheap crap, but the benchmark was smoother and had a better taste.... at 1/3 the cost.
Benchmark is made by Buffalo trace(Blanton's also) so I guess I should not be surprised.

BUt I was more surprised that the makers was more harsh.

I don't care for Maker's either.

Buffalo Trace makes two of my absolute favorites - Blanton's when I can afford or even find it (it's been out of stock locally since April) and Eagle Rare which is just as good imo and costs a little less.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/eagle-rare

They also make a great cheap bourbon - Ancient Age. It's more a cocktail quality bourbon but I find it tastes just fine on it's own for a budget bourbon.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Whats the difference between Bourbon whiskey and.. Whisky?

Jim Beam... Wow.. I got a new lover..

Bourbon is kind of an acquired taste- I hated it when younger, but now drink a couple glasses a week. very calming as long as you drink it like a normal person.

Try the less known bourbons....I have always like Beam Black, but

I love Woodford reserve, and Bulleit for midrange, then for the cheaper bourbons, I like Very Old Barton, Benchmark(always in my house) and Evan Williams 1783 all under $15. My bro really like Willet pot still, and it comes in a really cool bottle.

I try to buy my staple and something different every time I go.

I am driving from Charlotte thru Lexington next week, trying to convince the wife to hit one distillery while on the road.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
I don't care for Maker's either.

Buffalo Trace makes two of my absolute favorites - Blanton's when I can afford or even find it (it's been out of stock locally since April) and Eagle Rare which is just as good imo and costs a little less.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/eagle-rare

They also make a great cheap bourbon - Ancient Age. It's more a cocktail quality bourbon but I find it tastes just fine on it's own for a budget bourbon.
think you have mentioned Eagle rare before, cant remember if I have had it. will see if they have it at the ABC here

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Anyone try the Crown Royal Hand Select Barrel? I normally don't like Crown/Canadian Whisky but oh my lord is this one good. Incredibly smooth with a really nice flavor.

I've been neglecting this thread apparently - yes I had it by accident when it first came out. Saw the bottle and thought this might be something I would like - and I did. Very smooth and subtle - not a punch in the mouth at all. It would be a great whisky for someone who thinks they won't like whisky because it's too strong.

And as for the difference between bourbon and generic "whisky" I think it in general just has a deeper, smokey flavor and usually is less a punch in the face with the alcohol burn and more sublte. If you're a wine person it would be like a Malbec or Cabernet compared to a cheap Pinot Noir.

Or like drinking whole milk vs. skim. :sarcasm:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bourbon can only legally be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Like Champagne and Bordeaux are the names of the regions in France those wines are made in.

There are also some rules about what has to be in the mash for it to be considered bourbon. Don't quote me on this but I *think* the mash has to be 51% corn for it to be considered a bourbon. Otherwise it's "Kentucky whisky" or or something like that.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Bourbon can only legally be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Like Champagne and Bordeaux are the names of the regions in France those wines are made in.

There are also some rules about what has to be in the mash for it to be considered bourbon. Don't quote me on this but I *think* the mash has to be 51% corn for it to be considered a bourbon. Otherwise it's "Kentucky whisky" or or something like that.

Right, well kind of. It actually does not have to be made in bourbon county but it does have to be produced in the united states. You are dead on about the mash mixture. At least 51% corn to be classified as bourbon. Not trying to be a know it all or anything just a huge whisky fanatic is all :laugh:

Im actually more of a single malt scotch guy myself but the craft bourbon scene is becoming huge and there are some really awesome bourbons being made right now.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007

That part is a myth. Bourbons are made all over - Michigan, Ohio, New York all have bourbons on the shelf right next to the Kentucky stuff. That said, Kentucky is where 99% of bourbons are made and people consider the water used from limestone beds in that area key to the "true" bourbon flavor due to the extra mineral content.

The technical details;

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[18] must be:

Produced in the United States[19]
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[20]
Aged in new, charred oak barrels[20]
Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[20]
Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[20]
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[21]
Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period.[22] Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon.[23] The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.[24][25]

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.[26]

Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[27]
Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[24]
Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.[28][29]

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh man I wished they had a beer expo there a few years back, I worked across the street.

I really don't get the whole IPA thing, I think they taste like ****. It's getting old, hopefully it comes to and end soon. I guess it's trendy and they have cool labels lol. Reminds me of the 90's micro brew explosion.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
The DC Beer Festival is April 16 this year. I'll definitely have to go, especially since I drank too much on my 21st birthday and couldn't go to DC Oktoberfest the next day...

As for IPA's I can definitely see why people don't care for them, my dad never liked really hoppy beers. I personally find them delicious. DogFishHead 60 Minute IPA is a work of art to me.

I had a friend over the other day and he told me the thing he loved about white guys was that for the most part we know so many beers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad