The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs should be keepin an eye on Leason.

This guy is just killing it this year and is a big body. Could easily see him goin in the late 1st early 2nd.

He's no where near that good. His upside is a complementary winger with size who may be able to put up 40's consistently, somewhat like a Pearson or Hyman without the defensive game. Personally, I would aim a lot higher than that with a late 1st round pick. Guys like Samuel Poulin or Nolan Foote who are also big wingers expected to go in that range have far more upside than that.

Late 2nd/early 3rd is where I would say he is appropriate. Good all-around player who works hard and is smart, but does not really have too many distinguishable skills.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If you could provide me with a list of goalies to watch for in this years draft, I will do my best to try to give some input through out the year if I can catch some games on tv or highlight packs

I can provide you my list and they can add or subtract as they would like. I was pretty harsh on a lot of the guys from Europe, so there could be a lot more names out of there as well.

I have looked everywhere except the WHL. I have most of the names but I may still add a few more. I also understand that you are not going to be able to look up some of these guys because they play in really obscure places.

Alexandros Aslanidis - Avon Old Farms (USHS-CT)
Alexis Shank - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Derek Mullahy - Dexter (USHS-MA)
Lucas Rheyneuclaudes - Djurgardens U2o (SWEDEN-JR.)
Dustin Wolf - Everett (WHL)
Erik Portillo - Frolunda U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Hugo Alnefelt - HV71 U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Cole Brady - Janesville (NAHL)
Amir Miftakhov - Irbs Kazan (RUSSIA-2/VHL)
Roman Basran - Kelowna (WHL)
Jesper Myrenberg - Linkoping U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
William Josbrant - Lulea U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Alexei Shchetilin - Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA-JR./MHL)
Mads Sogaard - Medicine Hat (WHL)
Ethan Haider - Minnesota (NAHL)
Mack Guzda - Owen Sound (OHL)
Hunter Jones - Peterborough (OHL)
Taylor Gauthier - Prince George (WHL)
Ethan Anders - Red Deer (WHL)
Colten Ellis - Rimouski (QMJHL)
Nolan Maier - Saskatoon (WHL)
Isaiah Saville - Tri-City (USHL)
Cameron Rowe - USA U18 (USDP)
Spencer Knight - USA U18 (USDP)
Trent Miner - Vancouver (WHL)
Kari Piiroinen - Windsor (OHL)

That is 26 names I believe.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He's no where near that good. His upside is a complementary winger with size who may be able to put up 40's consistently, somewhat like a Pearson or Hyman without the defensive game. Personally, I would aim a lot higher than that with a late 1st round pick. Guys like Samuel Poulin or Nolan Foote who are also big wingers expected to go in that range have far more upside than that.

Late 2nd/early 3rd is where I would say he is appropriate. Good all-around player who works hard and is smart, but does not really have too many distinguishable skills.
He is out producing Cody Glass this year and is 29 days younger than him. He almost has double the amount of points than the next guy on Prince Albert. He is CARRYING that team right now (and Scott).

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is out producing Cody Glass this year and is 29 days younger than him. He almost has double the amount of points than the next guy on Prince Albert. He is CARRYING that team right now (and Scott).
Even if he's outproducing Glass, a player with the track record of Glass still projects significantly better due to him showing how repeatable high-level performances are. While the most immediate information is the most valuable, prior history also has value.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I can provide you my list and they can add or subtract as they would like. I was pretty harsh on a lot of the guys from Europe, so there could be a lot more names out of there as well.

I have looked everywhere except the WHL. I have most of the names but I may still add a few more. I also understand that you are not going to be able to look up some of these guys because they play in really obscure places.

Alexandros Aslanidis - Avon Old Farms (USHS-CT)
Alexis Shank - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Derek Mullahy - Dexter (USHS-MA)
Lucas Rheyneuclaudes - Djurgardens U2o (SWEDEN-JR.)
Dustin Wolf - Everett (WHL)
Erik Portillo - Frolunda U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Hugo Alnefelt - HV71 U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Cole Brady - Janesville (NAHL)
Amir Miftakhov - Irbs Kazan (RUSSIA-2/VHL)
Roman Basran - Kelowna (WHL)
Jesper Myrenberg - Linkoping U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
William Josbrant - Lulea U20 (SWEDEN-JR.)
Alexei Shchetilin - Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA-JR./MHL)
Mads Sogaard - Medicine Hat (WHL)
Ethan Haider - Minnesota (NAHL)
Mack Guzda - Owen Sound (OHL)
Hunter Jones - Peterborough (OHL)
Taylor Gauthier - Prince George (WHL)
Ethan Anders - Red Deer (WHL)
Colten Ellis - Rimouski (QMJHL)
Nolan Maier - Saskatoon (WHL)
Isaiah Saville - Tri-City (USHL)
Cameron Rowe - USA U18 (USDP)
Spencer Knight - USA U18 (USDP)
Trent Miner - Vancouver (WHL)
Kari Piiroinen - Windsor (OHL)

That is 26 names I believe.

Jesus...... I'm gonna be busy.
Thanks for this.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow this is very useful. Thank you.
Usually just go off the odd YouTube vid that's available or hope to catch the odd Junior or college game on tv.
No problem. A Jets poster who used to do video for Hockey Prospect is doing this. A very useful site for quick views on guys.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

He's not carrying the team right now, despite what the points are saying. On top of Scott, PA just has a really deep team with a lot of guys splitting the offensive duties. It is hard to defend and gives Leason a lot of opportunities to find open areas.

The guy is nothing like Glass. Glass is the guy making things happen on Portland right now, and he's doing it with really only one or two really talented forwards on the team with him. Things go through him. If you look beyond points, Leason is not overly fast, skilled or crafty. Not anythin close to what you would expect out of a D+2 1st round pick anyways. He works hard, uses his body in tight areas, and goes to where he needs to go to get scoring opportunities. That is how he gets points and makes things for his team mates. That is valuable, but that is not 1st round material, especially not out of someone who is a D+2.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No problem. A Jets poster who used to do video for Hockey Prospect is doing this. A very useful site for quick views on guys.

Funny enough I do not even have 4 of those guys on my list, and there are not that many guys on there in the first place. :laugh:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If we keep our pick one guy I'm really starting to like is Nils Hoglander. Apparently we've been scouting him as well.

Small, energetic winger with skill and grit.

Hard-nosed competitor whose nonstop motor makes short work of bigger defenders in both open ice and in the corners. Hoglander’s effort is infectious, but he also can make quick reaction plays that lead to quality chances for either himself or his linemates. He’s quick, finishes his checks and creates turnovers during a relentless forecheck.

His SHL numbers are comparable to Lundestrom's at this moment.

Lundestrom: 0.35
Hoglander: 0.32

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Matthew Struthers could be a good mid round (might end up higher) pick. Center with good size, was passed over last even though he nearly went PPG with North Bay after getting traded there half way through the season. Late 1999 birthday, currently has 25 points in 12 games.

Hell, could kill 2 birds with one stone and sign Brazeau to an ELC. The two of them have been dominating together.
hes a plug

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
hes a plug

He is on my draft board, but I have like 400 names on my draft board and some of them are pretty random... And despite all of that there are also some surprising omissions (which may eventually find their way on the board eventually).

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
He is on my draft board, but I have like 400 names on my draft board and some of them are pretty random... And despite all of that there are also some surprising omissions (which may eventually find their way on the board eventually).

I am not a fan of the hurricanes organization he came from, just my opinion tho lol

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get a chance at Suzuki, so I'm currently directing my interest into Kolyachonok.

Great start with a terrible team, and looked fantastic for London (in pre-season games). Really interested to see if he can not only keep it up, but also start leading the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get a chance at Suzuki, so I'm currently directing my interest into Kolyachonok.

Great start with a terrible team, and looked fantastic for London (in pre-season games). Really interested to see if he can not only keep it up, but also start leading the team.

Kaedan Korczak is my horse

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If we keep our pick one guy I'm really starting to like is Nils Hoglander. Apparently we've been scouting him as well.

Small, energetic winger with skill and grit.

His SHL numbers are comparable to Lundestrom's at this moment.

Lundestrom: 0.35
Hoglander: 0.32
How does he compare to Grundstrom? I realise hes not nearly the same size as him but are they of similar skillsets? Sounds like the type of player who thrives in today's NHL.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
How does he compare to Grundstrom? I realise hes not nearly the same size as him but are they of similar skillsets? Sounds like the type of player who thrives in today's NHL.

Different types of players I think. More of a waterbug type than a grinder. Just lots of energy on the forecheck. Reminds me a little of Berggren last year or Jesper Bratt on the Devils.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've been through most of the 2019 mock drafts and I can't say I'm in love with anybody in our general pick area

Bjornfot and Seider are sort of interesting and Knight looks decent (I'm not keen on Goaltending in the 1st couple of rounds as a general rule) but I'm not loving the look of the bottom half of the 1st round as a general observation

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I've been through most of the 2019 mock drafts and I can't say I'm in love with anybody in our general pick area

Bjornfot and Seider are sort of interesting and Knight looks decent (I'm not keen on Goaltending in the 1st couple of rounds as a general rule) but I'm not loving the look of the bottom half of the 1st round as a general observation

Could be another trade down sort of year. If they like Hoglander, he is not someone I think will go in the first round as much as the late 30's or into the 40's. Leafs may trade down a few times and get into that range. There are some good guys to select there.

I think you are right about there not being a ton of prospects the Leafs may be really excited about, but there are a ton of prospects that other teams may really like, and would be willing to give us something to move up and get. Perhaps after moving down once or twice you get into the type of range that makes sense for the Leafs to select a player that fits their needs. I do not think a goalie of any kind will be high up on their radar, even Knight. It is a great year for CHL goalies, but the Marlies are already going to have Scott and Woll in that guy's developmental timeframe, so it'll be tough justifying picking them over other great prospects at other positions. There are a lot of intriguing names the Leafs could look at in Europe and the NCAA this year, especially in the later rounds, so I think if they do get a goalie, it'll be a project they can stash away for a few years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Could be another trade down sort of year. If they like Hoglander, he is not someone I think will go in the first round as much as the late 30's or into the 40's. Leafs may trade down a few times and get into that range. There are some good guys to select there.

I think you are right about there not being a ton of prospects the Leafs may be really excited about, but there are a ton of prospects that other teams may really like, and would be willing to give us something to move up and get. Perhaps after moving down once or twice you get into the type of range that makes sense for the Leafs to select a player that fits their needs. I do not think a goalie of any kind will be high up on their radar, even Knight. It is a great year for CHL goalies, but the Marlies are already going to have Scott and Woll in that guy's developmental timeframe, so it'll be tough justifying picking them over other great prospects at other positions. There are a lot of intriguing names the Leafs could look at in Europe and the NCAA this year, especially in the later rounds, so I think if they do get a goalie, it'll be a project they can stash away for a few years.

If ever there was a year that trading down and trying to get as many picks as possible so you up your odds I think this is it, I'd be willing to trade back multiple Times to about the mid 2nd just looking at the board

Scatter gun it and give the development staff as may kicks at the can as possible, if we can get some depth players out of it I'd treat it as a win

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If ever there was a year that trading down and trying to get as many picks as possible so you up your odds I think this is it, I'd be willing to trade back multiple Times to about the mid 2nd just looking at the board

Scatter gun it and give the development staff as may kicks at the can as possible, if we can get some depth players out of it I'd treat it as a win

My wish list:
- A top 6 center, but there does not seem like too many outside of the top end of the draft. We'd have to have our fingers crossed that someone like Turcotte or Newhook drop a lot more than expected.
- A gritty, hard working complimentary winger. I really love Sam Poulin, and I think he will drop to our 2nd rounder by the end of the day. Rather than try to explain him, look up Maxime Comtois… He is pretty much a carbon-copy. Comtois of course went to the Ducks at pick #50... I expect Poulin to drop a similar way, and that could land him right into the Leafs' range in the 2nd round.
- Some LD depth. Short term the Marlies should be okay, but adding a guy out of the CHL + a guy we may be able to stash in the NCAA or Europe (there are a few good ones available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, where we have 3 picks) should be strongly considered. A stash option on RD would be nice too, because we have short term RD depth but could invest in some longer term guys.

Beyond that, I do not care too much. Maybe a European or NCAA goalie is on their radar late, but they do not need one. Maybe we can find another good winger or two later on. Really just need to find some good prospects.

Reactions: Kiwi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Knight would be 2 years behind Scott and 3 years behind Woll. I'd say that's a different cohort. Although I would be surprised to see the Leafs draft Knight, I don't think the reason would be based on that.

Outside of a 1st pairing RHD, what are the Leafs long-term needs? We don't really have any. Cheap wingers, maybe a power puck-winning LWer (which a guy like Grundstrom hopefully fills), maybe a top 9 center for when Kadri's deal expires. But, there is no obvious need to target outside of a top pairing RHD, which there is unlikely to be a player with a high chance of being one in the 24-31 range.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
My wish list:
- A top 6 center, but there does not seem like too many outside of the top end of the draft. We'd have to have our fingers crossed that someone like Turcotte or Newhook drop a lot more than expected.
- A gritty, hard working complimentary winger. I really love Sam Poulin, and I think he will drop to our 2nd rounder by the end of the day. Rather than try to explain him, look up Maxime Comtois… He is pretty much a carbon-copy. Comtois of course went to the Ducks at pick #50... I expect Poulin to drop a similar way, and that could land him right into the Leafs' range in the 2nd round.
- Some LD depth. Short term the Marlies should be okay, but adding a guy out of the CHL + a guy we may be able to stash in the NCAA or Europe (there are a few good ones available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, where we have 3 picks) should be strongly considered. A stash option on RD would be nice too, because we have short term RD depth but could invest in some longer term guys.

Beyond that, I do not care too much. Maybe a European or NCAA goalie is on their radar late, but they do not need one. Maybe we can find another good winger or two later on. Really just need to find some good prospects.
Knight would be 2 years behind Scott and 3 years behind Woll. I'd say that's a different cohort. Although I would be surprised to see the Leafs draft Knight, I don't think the reason would be based on that.

Outside of a 1st pairing RHD, what are the Leafs long-term needs? We don't really have any. Cheap wingers, maybe a power puck-winning LWer (which a guy like Grundstrom hopefully fills), maybe a top 9 center for when Kadri's deal expires. But, there is no obvious need to target outside of a top pairing RHD, which there is unlikely to be a player with a high chance of being one in the 24-31 range.

I think were definitely in a BPA situation (not that I don't think you shouldn't do that anyway)

Should be an interesting draft if we don't move our first, I definitely think were going to trade down and try to stock the pool with as many players as possible for cheap depth because looking at this draft from the mid 1st down that's pretty much what I see

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

With Knight I think it more has to do with I do not think they want to spend that high of a pick on him. Not the timeline thing. The Leafs can stash him in the NCAA until a spot on the Marlies opens up. I was more referring to the CHL goalies who would need to come in within two years, and I do not think there will be a spot open on the Marlies within two years. Besides, most of the good CHL goalies (Wolf, Miner, Piiroinen, Ellis, Maier, Gauthier, etc.) are also likely going to be taken quite early (rounds 2 and 3, maybe round 4), and there is a steep drop off after those guys. After round 3, the guys outside of the CHL are likely better than the ones in the CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad