The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still wish we took Calen Addison instead of Sean Durzi. I wanted Addison with our 1st rounder, let alone him still being on the board in the 2nd.

Addison has 16 points in 15 games to start the season as well. 4th in defensive scoring in the WHL.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I still wish we took Calen Addison instead of Sean Durzi. I wanted Addison with our 1st rounder, let alone him still being on the board in the 2nd.

Addison has 16 points in 15 games to start the season as well. 4th in defensive scoring in the WHL.
I mean, if we're playing that game, then I wish we'd signed Durzi out of camp last year, and then drafted Addison with our 2nd.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
So the early returns on some of the players guys in this thread liked from last draft.

Kravtsov (KHL) 22gp 3g 5a 8pts
Denisenko (KHL) 11gp 3g 0a 3pts
Kaut (AHL) 8gp 1g 1a 2pts
Miller (NCAA) 6gp 2g 5a 7pts
Bokk (SHL) 11gp 1g 2a 3pts
Veleno (QMJHL) 14gp 10g 11a 21pts
Samuelsson (NCAA) 6gp 1g 0a 1pts
Berggren (SHL) 12gp 0g 2a 2pts
Woo (WHL) 9gp 1g 3a 4pts
Wilde (OHL) 10gp 3g 10a 13pts
Thomas (OHL) 15gp 8g 17a 25pts
Hallander (SHL) 12gp 2g 5a 7pts
K'andre Miller is making me look like a very smart man. Jett Woo is making me look like a dumbass.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So the early returns on some of the players guys in this thread liked from last draft.

Kravtsov (KHL) 22gp 3g 5a 8pts
Denisenko (KHL) 11gp 3g 0a 3pts
Kaut (AHL) 8gp 1g 1a 2pts
Miller (NCAA) 6gp 2g 5a 7pts
Bokk (SHL) 11gp 1g 2a 3pts
Veleno (QMJHL) 14gp 10g 11a 21pts
Samuelsson (NCAA) 6gp 1g 0a 1pts
Berggren (SHL) 12gp 0g 2a 2pts
Woo (WHL) 9gp 1g 3a 4pts
Wilde (OHL) 10gp 3g 10a 13pts
Thomas (OHL) 15gp 8g 17a 25pts
Hallander (SHL) 12gp 2g 5a 7pts

Ty Smith (WHL) 14gp 2g 20a
Calen Addison (WHL)

What I would've done to trade up for him. My other favourites for our first pick (Kravtsov, Addison, K'andre, Veleno and Thomas) having decent starts. Still love the Sandin pick though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So I am doing a project with some other people and trying to come up with a draft board for 2019. I am responsible for Europe and so far have mostly looked at the smaller places (i.e. everywhere besides Russia, Finland and Sweden). Now this is not an expansive list, and it is supposed to cover everyone I feel has a notable chance of getting drafted and then some. There may be names that get added on later if people emerge, and of course by the time all of the regions are covered around the world, it'll be a long list and eventually cut down. My request of all of those who are interested is to double check my list and propose, with reasoning, any sort of additions and perhaps subtractions (although at this stage, subtractions are less likely without a really good reason) to the following list. The only restriction, of course, is that they must be draft-eligible and from Europe outside of those major leagues (i.e. Switzerland, Czechia, Slovakia, Germany, etc.).

Germany
RD Moritz Seider

Czechia
LW Michal Teply
C Vojtech Strondala
C Adam Najman
RW Martin Beranek
C Jonas Peterek
LD Jakub Zurek

Switzerland
LD Janis Moser
LD Davyd Barandun
LW/C Julian Mettler
LW/RW Keijo Weibel

None from any other regions. Thank you for your thoughts, and feel free to use this as a starting off point for potential Leafs selections. Seider looks like a top 40 type guy, but could be available with our 2nd when it's all said and done. Teply and maybe Strondala could be late 2nd or 3rd round candidates. The rest look like late rounders, if drafted at all so far. Strondala's size made me think we would never consider him, but if he continues to produce like he does, he could possibly sneak into the 2nd round.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I am glad to see Lassi Thomson doing so well at Western Hockey League. Could someone please give me a detailed report of his game what are the weaknesses and what are the strengths thank you Brothers.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ty Smith (WHL) 14gp 2g 20a
Calen Addison (WHL)

What I would've done to trade up for him. My other favourites for our first pick (Kravtsov, Addison, K'andre, Veleno and Thomas) having decent starts. Still love the Sandin pick though.
Into the leadup of our 2nd pick, I was on the Akil Thomas train, and I didnt even realize Addison was on the board. When Pittsburgh got him, I was like "he was still there"
The more I read on Durzi, the more I liked him after. I dont think its a bad pick but Addison:(

Reactions: Morgs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Into the leadup of our 2nd pick, I was on the Akil Thomas train, and I didnt even realize Addison was on the board. When Pittsburgh got him, I was like "he was still there"
The more I read on Durzi, the more I liked him after. I dont think its a bad pick but Addison:(

I wanted Thomas too, but he got poached right before us. There were a few guys I would have liked over Durzi, and Addison was one of them, but he was not at the top of the list either.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Anyone have any info on this guy?

Mark Kastelic hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Big body, from Arizona, plays C.

edit: “The one thing he has that you can’t teach, is his high compete level. He worked really, really hard in practice each day and is a very coachable player. You only have to tell him something once and he will pick it up. You can tell that he is serious about hockey.”

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Anyone have any info on this guy?

Mark Kastelic hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Big body, from Arizona, plays C.

edit: “The one thing he has that you can’t teach, is his high compete level. He worked really, really hard in practice each day and is a very coachable player. You only have to tell him something once and he will pick it up. You can tell that he is serious about hockey.”
he'll be 20 by the draft.

I know the last big-body hard working C from Arizona that we drafted was on the older side of his draft class... but this is taking it a bit too far :P

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
he'll be 20 by the draft.

I know the last big-body hard working C from Arizona that we drafted was on the older side of his draft class... but this is taking it a bit too far :P

Yes, I know he’s an overage player. He attended SJ camp 2 years ago and they told him to improve his offensive numbers. He seems to be doing that this year, maybe he will get a look in camp somewhere. Anyways, that quote about his work ethic interested me.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Based on the rankings right now (which will no doubt change), I'm pretty interested in the following:

Lassi Thompson
Drew Helleson
Kaedan Korczak
Matvei Guskov
Arthur Kaliyev
Nils Hoglander
Matthew Robertson
Jacob Pelletier
Yegor Spiridonov
Pavel Dorofeyev

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Based on the rankings right now (which will no doubt change), I'm pretty interested in the following:

Lassi Thompson
Drew Helleson
Kaedan Korczak
Matvei Guskov
Arthur Kaliyev
Nils Hoglander
Matthew Robertson
Jacob Pelletier
Yegor Spiridonov
Pavel Dorofeyev

I am not super high on Helleson or Thomson. Although the rest I have 1st or 2nd round grades on, and any of them could realistically drop to the Leafs besides maybe Kaliyev and Robertson. Korczak was one guy I thought would be a strong fit for the Leafs, but I kind of want a center in the first round this time around (if it is close in value that is). Although in all honesty, the center group is very top heavy (i.e. top 15) this year, and there may only be a small handful of good candidates to take after that until like the very late 2nd round or 3rd round (at this point). A lot of the guys slated to go in those regions either transferred to the wing this season (i.e. Guskov) or have not been doing as well as originally expected.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Watching the Steelheads vs Frontenacs game and Thomas Harley looks very skilled.

Big guy who can really skate, has great edges, good passer and is extremely offensive minded.

Will definitely be keeping on eye on this guy thruout the year.

member 157595

If only Phoenix could get him! Then, we can trade Matthews for him. A win-win for both organizations. ;)

Make it a three-way for all the homies:

- McDavid to Toronto
- Matthews to Arizona
- Tyler Ennis Kevin Connauton to Edmonton

A fair and unbiased hockey trade (EDIT: except for the fact that one of the three teams wasn't involved, ya moron!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Make it a three-way for all the homies:

- McDavid to Toronto
- Matthews to Arizona
- Tyler Ennis to Edmonton

A fair and unbiased hockey trade.
The perfect trade. Fair as fair can get too.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Watching the Steelheads vs Frontenacs game and Thomas Harley looks very skilled.

Big guy who can really skate, has great edges, good passer and is extremely offensive minded.

Will definitely be keeping on eye on this guy thruout the year.
I like Thomas Harley as well. Also think Billy Constantinou is pretty intriguing. He was just trafed by Niagara today to Kingston. Interesting nto see if he can keep his momentum going and continue to move up the draft boards.

Reactions: weems

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I like Thomas Harley as well. Also think Billy Constantinou is pretty intriguing. He was just trafed by Niagara today to Kingston. Interesting nto see if he can keep his momentum going and continue to move up the draft boards.

I doubt it. Outside of Robertson and Leafs invitee Brett Neumann, Kingston was a tirefire. Now they just got rid of Robertson, and Neumann may not be too far behind unless they plan on keeping him for his OA year. Constantinou may very well turn out like Dunkley, who looked like he could have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder in Kingston, but moved to London (who was still pretty good and a playoff team, which is a lot more than Kingston can say right now) and even still kept up a pretty good pace before still going undrafted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I doubt it. Outside of Robertson and Leafs invitee Brett Neumann, Kingston was a tirefire. Now they just got rid of Robertson, and Neumann may not be too far behind unless they plan on keeping him for his OA year. Constantinou may very well turn out like Dunkley, who looked like he could have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder in Kingston, but moved to London (who was still pretty good and a playoff team, which is a lot more than Kingston can say right now) and even still kept up a pretty good pace before still going undrafted.
Kingston is going to see if they can challenge Flint in the likely Shane Wright sweepstakes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know we aren't supposed to pick for positional need but I really think the Leafs need to draft a center in the first two rounds this year.

Need somebody in the pipeline for when Kadri moves on.

LA taking Akil Thomas right before our 2nd round pick sucked

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Here are the November rankings for HockeyProspect.com. Top 31 is publically available, 32-62 is behind a paywall.

1: Hughes
2: Kakko
3: Dach
4: Turcotte
5: Podkolzin
6: Cozens
7: Krebs
8: Boldy
9: Newhook
10: Zegras

2019 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

Anybody in the 20's you particularly like? Also I've seen Foote in a few lists around the 20 to 30 range, any reason HockeyProspect wouldn't rank him that high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad