The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anybody in the 20's you particularly like? Also I've seen Foote in a few lists around the 20 to 30 range, any reason HockeyProspect wouldn't rank him that high?
This draft has a great top 10, but doesn't really have anyone I'm a huge fan of past 15 or so at this point. I'm pretty open to trading this years first if the right deal comes along.

A guy like Brink is intriguing, but I haven't watched him enough to have a solid opinion one way or the other.

As for Foote, isn't great at creating his own offence and not a great skater. The top of the WHL is great, (Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Byram), but the depth of it is getting overrated.

Reactions: Kiwi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just wanted to add from the 20's on this list. I've seen Soderstrom get a B grade from Central scouting, isn't on Bob's top 20 and is in Craig's 20's, I would love to draft him. I'd also be a fan of Cam York who I've seen all over the place.

Edit: Kaliyev also has high-end production, so he looks like this drafts Jason Robertson. So, he's intriguing in the late first. I'm not a huge fan, he's highly flawed, but is very good at a skill that matters (finishing).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This draft has a great top 10, but doesn't really have anyone I'm a huge fan of past 15 or so at this point. I'm pretty open to trading this years first if the right deal comes along.

A guy like Brink is intriguing, but I haven't watched him enough to have a solid opinion one way or the other.

As for Foote, isn't great at creating his own offence and not a great skater. The top of the WHL is great, (Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Byram), but the depth of it is getting overrated.

I thought this year's draft was supposed to be deep?

I noticed Vlasic but only because of the name, other than that nobody really jumped out at me

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought this year's draft was supposed to be deep?

I noticed Vlasic but only because of the name, other than that nobody really jumped out at me
I feel almost every year the draft enters the year as deep, then people start seeing prospects for what they really are. I don't think this class is particularly deep. Although, I also generally think the variance between drafts after the top 10 to 15 rarely seems to be as large as people make it out to be, unless we are talking about 2003, and potentially 2015.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I feel almost every year the draft enters the year as deep, then people start seeing prospects for what they really are. I don't think this class is particularly deep. Although, I also generally think the variance between drafts after the top 10 to 15 rarely seems to be as large as people make it out to be, unless we are talking about 2003, and potentially 2015.

Yeah that always seems to happen the year before the boys are potentially drafted, I'd imagine your not going to have a particularly deep draft if the OHL class isn't great either

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah that always seems to happen the year before the boys are potentially drafted, I'd imagine your not going to have a particularly deep draft if the OHL class isn't great either
OHL is abysmal. It would be the first time in forever they don't have a guy in the top 10 (although Suzuki has a shot). Although the OHL draft crop was good, just almost all of the top kids were Americans who went USNTDP (most notably Hughes and Turcotte). So, that off-sets it a bit.

The big thing is, between both the OHL and QMJHL there isn't a clear top 10 kid, and Europe only really has two elite prospect at the moment (Kaako and Podkolzin). USNTDP and the West are strong, but it probably doesn't off-set that. Plus, Podkolzin is difficult to scout Russian, with a powerhouse program who doesn't want to come over immediately.

Edit: The fact there are 3 goalies in the 1st round is not a good sign.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
OHL is abysmal. It would be the first time in forever they don't have a guy in the top 10 (although Suzuki has a shot). Although the OHL draft crop was good, just almost all of the top kids were Americans who went USNTDP (most notably Hughes and Turcotte). So, that off-sets it a bit.

The big thing is, between both the OHL and QMJHL there isn't a clear top 10 kid, and Europe only really has two elite prospect at the moment (Kaako and Podkolzin). USNTDP and the West are strong, but it probably doesn't off-set that. Plus, Podkolzin is difficult to scout Russian, with a powerhouse program who doesn't want to come over immediately.

Edit: The fact there are 3 goalies in the 1st round is not a good sign.

To say I'm not keen on taking a goaltender in the first round would be an understatement, I'm much keener on taking a Scott or Woll in the mid rounds with the odd late round flyer

Definitely might be a year to trade the 1st rounder if that's the case, how much do you think Podkolzin could drop if teams don't think he's going to come over straight away?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To say I'm not keen on taking a goaltender in the first round would be an understatement, I'm much keener on taking a Scott or Woll in the mid rounds with the odd late round flyer

Definitely might be a year to trade the 1st rounder if that's the case, how much do you think Podkolzin could drop if teams don't think he's going to come over straight away?
I'd consider gambling on Knight in the late 1st, but I'm not huge on drafting goalies high.

Way too early to make a guess on Podkolzin. It really depends on the teams involved. But, considering where Kravtsov and Grigorenko fell, not very far. Some teams will write him off, but not enough to cause a significant drop.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd consider gambling on Knight in the late 1st, but I'm not huge on drafting goalies high.

Way too early to make a guess on Podkolzin. It really depends on the teams involved. But, considering where Kravtsov and Grigorenko fell, not very far. Some teams will write him off, but not enough to cause a significant drop.

Would you take a gamble on Leason, and with which pick?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I've had the same thought. In lining up potential picks I'm not seeing a lot to be excited about in the bottom quintile of the first round. At least last year there were a handful of guys I found interesting or really wanted. This year there's really a lot of just ok guys. I'm fine trading the pick if we can find the right deal.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Might be the most interesting guy left on the board at that point. Would it be better to drop back a bit? We could probably get him in the 35-45 range and pick up another pick.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Gibson came out of the US system as well, how does Knight compare to him or Demko?

He's got nice size and the numbers look pretty good

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would you take a gamble on Leason, and with which pick?
I'm not huge on drafting guys like Leason. Yes, you occasionally get a Tanner Pearson, but you have to sure they are AHL ready right away. I was not sold at all on Durzi, and still am not.

I've had the same thought. In lining up potential picks I'm not seeing a lot to be excited about in the bottom quintile of the first round. At least last year there were a handful of guys I found interesting or really wanted. This year there's really a lot of just ok guys. I'm fine trading the pick if we can find the right deal.

Might be the most interesting guy left on the board at that point. Would it be better to drop back a bit? We could probably get him in the 35-45 range and pick up another pick.

Gibson came out of the US system as well, how does Knight compare to him or Demko?

He's got nice size and the numbers look pretty good
I think Knight will go between 20-31. This draft is probably similar or a bit worse than 2016, and Oettinger who was a worse Prospect in my eyes snuck into the first round.

I'm not a goalie coach, and I don't claim to have a good understanding of scouting them. I know when I see a terrible one, but figuring out what carries over is a nightmare. From what I can gather about Knight, is that he is a big body, with elite athleticism and is probably the best USNTDP goalie prospect in a while. Hard to compare against Demko and Oettinger, in the sense as late birthdays, they got to prove themselves in D1 during their draft year. But, he's viewed as ahead at the same age.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The QMJHL should have some decent prospects. Not as good as 2020 with Lafreniere as a likely 1st overall pick and a ton of talent following him.

From the 6 teams I follow:
London: C/LW Nathan Dunkley (D+1), C William Moskal (D+1), LW Sergei Popov (D+1), RD Andrew Perrott (1st year), RW Connor McMichael (1st year)
Saginaw: LW Nicolas Porco (1st year), C Aidan Prueter (1st year), C Max Grondin (D+1), RW Jacob Goldowski (D+1), LD Duncan Penman (1st year), C/RW Ryan Stepian (1st year)
SSM: RD Jacob LeGuerrier (1st year), RW Cole MacKay (1st year), LW Joseph Carroll (1st year)
Spokane: C Eli Zummack (D+1), LW Luke Toporowski (1st year)
Prince Albert: None at this point
Sherbrooke: C/LW Samuel Poulin (1st year), LD Olivier Crete-Belzile (D+1), RD Alexandre Joncas (1st year), LD Jaxon Bellamy (1st year), RW Bailey Peach (1st year)
Saw London play live about a month ago. Moskal was the best player on the ice. (a game that included Boqvist)
Overager as you point out. So, you know.........

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Lowkey hoping we move out someone who isn't needed for the future (possibly Gardiner with Dermott replacing him), for a first round pick minimum, and whoever we get the pick from somehow bottoms out. Imagine how much HF would implode.
Gards won't be moved.
He'll walk as a UFA.
Unless there's a team that needs a PP guy and can send an equivalent RHD.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Any London Knights fans have insight to Conner McMichael's game. Any comparison to Robert Thomas?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any London Knights fans have insight to Conner McMichael's game. Any comparison to Robert Thomas?

Apparently he's by far their smartest player, which makes him someone I would look at very closely Although I think he functions better on the wing than at center (although he does do pretty well down the middle too) and I am not sure he has the defensive quality Thomas had. I think he could go as high as the mid-late 30's, and could drop as low as our 2nd round pick. I do not expect to see him available anywhere in the 3rd round, but I guess some hype in other guys may drop him to the early 70's or late 60's.

horner

May 22, 2007
Saw London play live about a month ago. Moskal was the best player on the ice. (a game that included Boqvist)
Overager as you point out. So, you know.........
I wanted us to draft Moskal last yr with our last pick.
At the very least bring him in on a try out.
If he played for SSM he probably would have been.
Love this kids game

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not a Knights fan, but McMichael caught my eye at a 67's game I was at. He didn't blow me away with skating or skill, but he was incredibly smart on the ice. He was reading plays well before his opponents or even teammates were and was constantly in position to open up offense or take care of defensive details. He didn't score, but with 13 goals in 23 games so far this year he looks to have pretty good finishing ability too.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs should be keepin an eye on Leason.

This guy is just killing it this year and is a big body. Could easily see him goin in the late 1st early 2nd.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not huge on drafting guys like Leason. Yes, you occasionally get a Tanner Pearson, but you have to sure they are AHL ready right away. I was not sold at all on Durzi, and still am not.

I think Knight will go between 20-31. This draft is probably similar or a bit worse than 2016, and Oettinger who was a worse Prospect in my eyes snuck into the first round.

I'm not a goalie coach, and I don't claim to have a good understanding of scouting them. I know when I see a terrible one, but figuring out what carries over is a nightmare. From what I can gather about Knight, is that he is a big body, with elite athleticism and is probably the best USNTDP goalie prospect in a while. Hard to compare against Demko and Oettinger, in the sense as late birthdays, they got to prove themselves in D1 during their draft year. But, he's viewed as ahead at the same age.
If you could provide me with a list of goalies to watch for in this years draft, I will do my best to try to give some input through out the year if I can catch some games on tv or highlight packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad