The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just some thoughts on who we draft at the tail end of the 1st round.
Note: the #1 or #2 just refer to what round I would personally take them in. In addition they are in no order.

#1 Connor McMichael: A solid centre with top 6 upside. Probably 2 or 3 years till NHL ready.
#1 Brett Leason: Realistically will be a top 20, if not top 15 pick. If he drops because he is older, we nab him. NHL ready in 1 or 2 years.
#1 Alex Vlasic: Could be a top 4 2-way defenceman. Plays a similar style as his cousin Marc-Edward Vlasic of San Jose. Probably plays another 2-3 years in the NCAA before coming over to the AHL/NHL.
#1 Nolan Foote: Projects to be a middle 6 winger at the NHL level, also considered a safe pick.
#1 Mikko Kokkonen: Another top 4 defencman who has a huge emphasis on defence first. (Exactly what the Leafs need with offensive blue line they have now).

#2 Nils Hoglander: Seems like the typical highly skilled yet small player. Could take a few years to develop, or could be ready in 2 years.
#2 Bobby Brink: If he is still around in the 2nd round I highly suggest we grab him. Another small winger that can provide dangerous amounts of offense. Has second line scorer all over him.
#2 Spencer Knight: I am not a fan of taking goalies with first two rounds of picks, because of their magic bean syndrome. But he is one of the few I'd take a gamble on. Potential upside is top 5 goalie in the NHL. Downside, ECHL fodder. (goalies, what can you do). If he makes the NHL I would expect 2-3 years of NCAA and then another year in the AHL.
#2 Hunter Jones: Ideally, he is a 3rd round pick. But he is still a coveted goalie prospect. Not a high of a ceiling as Knight, but arguably a safer pick. (If there is such thing as a safe pick in goalies).

Just another note. If for some reason Turcotte does drop (seen him projected as late as a 2nd rounder). We take him immieditely. He is a future #1 centre.

Asked @93LEAFS about the bolded, foot speed is the concern. He's one of the best guys on here so just something to keep in mind if we drafted them.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really appreciate the efforts and insights shared in this thread.

Nice to have some names that are familiar in a draft that we are in later, but don’t have time to do all this digging.

Thanks for sharing, all.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The thought of a guy like Leason being able to fall to us is exciting. Thats one of those guys that gets drafted and people will bitch and moan that the rich get richer.

Plus we already know this management team has no concerns about age.

How is his skating? If it is even remotely good I can't see him sliding past us.

Reactions: Duffman955

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
The thought of a guy like Leason being able to fall to us is exciting.
How is his skating? If it is even remotely good I can't see him sliding past us.

I agree he would be my favourite, but I have him pegged to go in the 15-20 range (if not earlier).

His skating is NHL quality, it isn't amazing but it isn't a concern. Leason would jump straight to the Marlies from draft, and probably get a lot of benefit from working with Skating Coach Barb Underhill (hopefully that is her last name, I forgot it).

Reactions: Stand Witness

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I agree he would be my favourite, but I have him pegged to go in the 15-20 range (if not earlier).

His skating is NHL quality, it isn't amazing but it isn't a concern. Leason would jump straight to the Marlies from draft, and probably get a lot of benefit from working with Skating Coach Barb Underhill (hopefully that is her last name, I forgot it).

I'm sure the Leafs have seen him a good amount over the past 2 seasons too. I'd imagine that this year they have been keeping close eyes on Scott.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure the Leafs have seen him a good amount over the past 2 seasons too. I'd imagine that this year they have been keeping close eyes on Scott.
Scouting staff is seperate from player development staff. Also, we'd probably be sending goalie coaches to monitor that. You don't really scout guys you've already drafted. At that point, it's time for your player development people to work with them, and they aren't part of the scouting staff. The Leafs have at least 3 WHL based scouts (Derkatch and Malarchuk, with Speltz WHL based but covering everywhere). I'm sure they've got more than enough viewings with how many bodies they have covering the ground.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Let's get a skilled center to put in the slow cooker.

We are going to need a Kadri replacement in 3 years.

That or we keep taking Liljegren/Sandin/even Dermott types of defensemen.

I like Thomas Harley on the Steelheads, but if we go the center route Connor McMichael is that guy for me. He could slip his way into the top 20 but London has a tonne of forward depth this year that could supress his offense enough to let him drop to us.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just watched a shift by shift video of draft eligible Goalie Hunter Jones of the Peterborough Petes. Good numbers with a record of 19-14-1 , a 2.85 GAA and a 918sv%.

This video is all I have seen of him but based on it , this kid has a very interesting tool set. He is a big guy at 6'4 and just under 200lbs. He has great footwork and footspeed. He is very quick to seal the ice. He also has very quick lateral movement. Another great sign is that he appears to be very poised in the net. He stays within his crease and there is no excessive movements.

I would like to see this kid more but as of right now he is a Goalie I would seriously consider in the 2nd/3rd round.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe I am alone in this boat, but I don't find Jack Hughes that special at all. I know he has still been able to be decently dominant, but I question his IQ a bit, shot, and motor.

I never came away going "WOW" this player will be franchise level.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Maybe I am alone in this boat, but I don't find Jack Hughes that special at all. I know he has still been able to be decently dominant, but I question his IQ a bit, shot, and motor.

I never came away going "WOW" this player will be franchise level.
I like Kakko, I'm glad we don't have 1 OA this year because for me I'd be scared of grabbing the wrong guy.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What do people think of the giant goalie Mads Sogaard in the 3rd or 4th? Seems like a sufficiently weak draft that you can take a flier on the upside despite the poor showing at the WJC.

Reactions: airgordo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd love the 1st overall in this draft. This reminds me of people worried the Leafs might make the wrong choice and the Jets had it easy. Hughes is a special talent, so is Kakko. The same crap Matthews got, it appears Hughes is now getting from a similar group of posters. Hughes is a player who is sort of the in-between of Marner and Barzal. That is an insanely valuable piece. I don't think either will bust, so I don't think you have to worry too much about taking the wrong guy. Unless its a very bad draft, it's generally pretty hard to completely botch the 1st overall or 2nd overall pick.

Reactions: hockeynorth

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What do people think of the giant goalie Mads Sogaard in the 3rd or 4th? Seems like a sufficiently weak draft that you can take a flier on the upside despite the poor showing at the WJC.
He'll still find his way into the 2nd if he maintains his performance in the WHL. People realize he played behind a tire-fire of a team that was completely overmatched.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd love the 1st overall in this draft. This reminds me of people worried the Leafs might make the wrong choice and the Jets had it easy. Hughes is a special talent, so is Kakko. The same crap Matthews got, it appears Hughes is now getting from a similar group of posters. Hughes is a player who is sort of the in-between of Marner and Barzal. That is an insanely valuable piece. I don't think either will bust, so I don't think you have to worry too much about taking the wrong guy. Unless its a very bad draft, it's generally pretty hard to completely botch the 1st overall or 2nd overall pick.

Well, there were also those who thought we couldn't lose in the top 3, and debating Poolparty and Laine.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019

This top 2 in this draft are in a world- of their own talent wise.
That being said, some scouts worry that Hughes is more a winger than a centre.
Hughes will go 1st overall, baring a collaspe and baring Kakko destroying the Liiga rest of the season/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does pick 57 seem high?
No, think about Scott when we drafted him. Amazing raw tools with sub-par international and WHL performance. I know Mads is slightly older (late-birthday), but he's looked good in the WHL. Amazing raw tools. 57 is fine
Well, there were also those who thought we couldn't lose in the top 3, and debating Poolparty and Laine.
Yeah, I solidly had Laine ahead, but I was solidly Matthews at one. I never though Pulju was above Marner and Strome, like some did. Look, no picks are guaranteed. But, Kakko reminds me a bit of a more skilled Matthew Tkachuk but with a bit less punk in him, that's an amazing talent. Hughes reminds me of a more dynamic but not as creative Marner. Sort of a hybrid of Marner and Barzal. I'm not sure I'd have either in the Matthews/Eichel tier, but they are in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad