The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Considering where those guys were drafted, it is really not that impressive. I guess compared to the old Leafs regime it is impressive, but this is pretty much just a bunch of guys punching their draft slot weight, plus Boeser and Gaudette doing better than expected.

The Leafs have already revamped their USA scouting, mostly by adding more resources in the area:
Tim Speltz – Head Scout/Northwestern United States Regional Scouting
Scott Bell – Minnesota Regional Scouting
Tony Martino – Chicago Regional Scouting
Noelle Needham – Midwestern United States Regional Scouting
Jim Vesey Sr. – Northeastern United States Regional Scouting
John Kisil – Southern Ontario/Michigan/Ohio Regional Scouting

Plus our Director of Amateur scouting used to be our Director of US scouting, and a great US area scout for us for a long time.

The main difference is the Leafs are probably going to hit areas outside of Ann Arbor a little bit harder these days. Ever since Burke left and the old regime of scouts left, the Leafs have exclusively been targeting the USDP for American prospects. In 2014 they targeted a couple of USHL guys in Piccinich and Joshua, but they would not have to go far out of the way to see either of them play. The USDP plays against USHL teams, and Youngstown (Piccinich's team) is not far away from the OHL stratosphere. Pretty much outside of Ann Arbor, they targeted the US enough to maybe spot a few guys they like every 5 years. These days, that'll probably change.

Scott Bell was the guy responsible for Jake Guentzel I am pretty sure. It was really the only pick out of his region, but that was him. He is pretty highly regarded in Minnesota, and he came here because the Leafs promised him free rein for any team/league in Minnesota. Noelle Needham is a total rookie, but Dubas was highly impressed during a blind interview, and she is apparently going to bridge the rest of the gap between Minnesota and Chicago. East of Chicago is covered by the guys we already had previously, and all are pretty highly regarded in those regions.
I'm fine with our U.S. scouting. Woll, Bracco, and Greenway are the only guys we've taken under this regime and 2/3 look pretty good so far. Sweden has been amazing. CHL has been okay, and Finland we haven't really taken anybody.

Our scouting staff in Russia needs to implode:
Martins Dzierkals
Nikolai Chebykin
Yegor Korshkov
Vladislav Kara
Semyon Kizimov

-Korshkov is the only one that had/had a chance to be an impact player, but he needs to A) get healthy, and B) get to north america if there's any chance of that happening. Russia has been a black hole for us for years, the last impact Russian we drafted was Kulemin and that was 12 years ago now...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm fine with our U.S. scouting. Woll, Bracco, and Greenway are the only guys we've taken under this regime and 2/3 look pretty good so far. Sweden has been amazing. CHL has been okay, and Finland we haven't really taken anybody.

Martins Dzierkals
Nikolai Chebykin
Yegor Korshkov
Vladislav Kara
Semyon Kizimov

-Korshkov is the only one that had/had a chance to be an impact player, but he needs to A) get healthy, and B) get to north america if there's any chance of that happening. Russia has been a black hole for us for years, the last impact Russian we drafted was Kulemin and that was 12 years ago now...

We replaced all of our Russian scouts. They both left with Hunter.

And our US scouting was fine, but there is a lot of good talent outside of the USDP, which is pretty much exclusively where we have been targeting in the US since the new regime (Shanny in 2014). High Schools and especially the USHL/NAHL should not be ignored.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
There own and San Jose + St Louis, there are conditions on those picks though

Sharks 1st-Buffalo will receive a first-round pick in 2019 if the Sharks qualify for the 2019 playoffs and if Kane re-signs with the Sharks for the 2018/2019 season.If the Sharks fail to qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs the first-round pick will defer to 2020.

St Louis 1st -Buffalo will receive a first-round pick in 2019 if the Blues first-round pick is outside of the top ten selections. If the Blues' pick is inside the top ten the first-round pick will defer to 2020.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sharks 1st-Buffalo will receive a first-round pick in 2019 if the Sharks qualify for the 2019 playoffs and if Kane re-signs with the Sharks for the 2018/2019 season.If the Sharks fail to qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs the first-round pick will defer to 2020.

St Louis 1st -Buffalo will receive a first-round pick in 2019 if the Blues first-round pick is outside of the top ten selections. If the Blues' pick is inside the top ten the first-round pick will defer to 2020.

There GM has done some good work, they have a strong young core to build around and those extra picks will really help fill out the roster eventually (If they don't **** up and pick a bunch of busts)

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
There GM has done some good work, they have a strong young core to build around and those extra picks will really help fill out the roster eventually (If they don't **** up and pick a bunch of busts)
Can even trade some of those picks for an upgrade on the roster or to move up in a draft.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Bracco is the only true RW in the system right now isn't he?

Would be nice to add a couple big guys that can bury the puck like Brazeau/Leason on their natural side. Their skating will be the key to their success but its worth a shot while we have some contract slots open.

Hoping we sign at least 2 or Felhaber, Brazeau, Leason.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Would be nice to add a couple big guys that can bury the puck like Brazeau/Leason on their natural side. Their skating will be the key to their success but its worth a shot while we have some contract slots open.

Leafs already invited Felhaber to camp in like 2016 or something. I think he even made it to main camp. Felhaber is not worth an ELC in my books. I do not think he makes the Marlies or any other AHL team that has any sort of real talent.

Brazeau would be a strong addition though. He's done so much without much help and has great size. I think the Marlies can make room for him.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Leafs already invited Felhaber to camp in like 2016 or something. I think he even made it to main camp. Felhaber is not worth an ELC in my books. I do not think he makes the Marlies or any other AHL team that has any sort of real talent.

Brazeau would be a strong addition though. He's done so much without much help and has great size. I think the Marlies can make room for him.

Players do get better over a two year period lol

He's been absolutely tearing up the OHL this year as well. 38 goals and 56 points in just 35 fames this year and could be a Boulet type of signing for us. He's much better than you give him credit for.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Korshkov, Engvall and Grundstrom I believe can play both wings. We also have Marner, Nylander, Kapanen and even Hyman who played RW prior to switching to LW in the NHL

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Players do get better over a two year period lol

He's been absolutely tearing up the OHL this year as well. 38 goals and 56 points in just 35 fames this year and could be a Boulet type of signing for us. He's much better than you give him credit for.

Barre-Boulet had a much better track record over the years, and was CHL Player of the Year, whereas Felhaber was nothing before his OA year and likely will not even be in the running for that title this year. People knew Barre-Boulet was going to be a really good offensive player, and now getting a ton of opportunities to play with a heavy-top end Syracuse team, he's able to produce (mostly based on his strong PP skills).

Felhaber is different. On top of playing on a really good team, he has an abnormally high shooting percentage 5-on-5 (the highest in the OHL out of anyone who really shoots very often), which are contributing to his offensive numbers. He only has three 5-on-4 goals this year. Barre-Boulet did not have ridiculous 5-on-5 numbers, but it was solid and came with a sustainable shooting percentage attached with it. What he did have was ridiculous PP skills he could use to score though (something Felhaber has not shown he has).

What Felhaber is doing is not exactly special (besides his shooting percentage), and you see guys do it all of the time as OA's. Aaron Luchuk, for example, put up a lot of goals last year despite playing on a non-competitive team for half of the year and having a much lower shooting percentage. He was also much better defensively. Now he's a mediocre ECHLer after earning an ELC from Ottawa. Every year there will be guys who do very well in their OA year, especially when they play on good teams, but are not special talents. Felhaber seems like another one of those guys.

Also not to mention, the Marlies will not have a spot for him. He's an offensive LW, and the Marlies could realistically have all of their current guys (Klimchuk, Carcone, Timashov, Engvall, Grundstrom, etc.) coming back next year, plus potentially adding Dakota Joshua or Yegor Korshkov to that mix as well (although either could play other positions, and may not be on the Marlies). I do not think the Leafs spend an ELC on an offensive forward 98' who will be stuck in the ECHL for most of his first year.

I think they are much likely to go after Justin Brazeau, who is putting up better and more sustainable numbers despite playing on a much inferior team, and has the added bonus of being a large body with a much more noticeable defensive game. The Marlies have a lot more room for him than they do Felhaber, and I think he fits better with what the Leafs want anyways.

Reactions: FishManSam

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is there anywhere I can get advanced stats for the international tournaments or for any European league? Would be nice to get it for any other league out there as well, but I'm mostly looking at Europe.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One of my favourites this draft will be Jakob Pelletier. Not the biggest guy at 5'9" but he works hard and he's a terrific skater with damn good hands. His hockey IQ seems top notch as well.

I saw him play live the other day and I would not be surprised if he's a top 15 pick by the draft, but for now, he seems like he's a late 1st rounder. He was very very very good.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Leason's skating is far from a liability of his.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One of my favourites this draft will be Jakob Pelletier. Not the biggest guy at 5'9" but he works hard and he's a terrific skater with damn good hands. His hockey IQ seems top notch as well.

I saw him play live the other day and I would not be surprised if he's a top 15 pick by the draft, but for now, he seems like he's a late 1st rounder. He was very very very good.

Hoglander in another guy we're looking at, smaller player too.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

This is where it would be nice for all the effort and money we have put into the Marlies to pay off.
If every year 1 or 2 the top 3 CHL FA come on board, our cupboards should be constantly stacked. Especially if they have one glaring weakness that can be worked on.
Brazeau and Leason would be huge gets, I hope our ability to offer top ELC dollars helps!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Martins Dzierkals
Nikolai Chebykin
Yegor Korshkov
Vladislav Kara
Semyon Kizimov

Outside of Korshkov, they were all taken with pretty much nothing picks with a low probability of returning an NHLer of value. I wish we drafted better there but no team is perfect. Part of the reason (which is a trend league-wide), is that you hold Euro and especially Russians rights significantly longer than CHL players, which gives you more time before you have to commit. Kizimov and Chebykin were both 7th rounders. Maybe one or two 7th rounders a year become something of use to your NHL team. Looking at the draft since 2005 (when current rules for drafting came into place), two of the best 7th rounders are Bergman picks in Gunnarsson and Stralman plus Andreas Johnsson who is looking good. The only other NHLers I'd consider who established themselves as anything above waiver fodder is Kase, Palat, Nutivara, Freddie Andersen (who provided nothing of value to the team that drafted him, as he re-entered), Dzingal, Eric Haula, Jordan Nolan (has played almsot 400 games, but basically is 4th liner waiver fodder), Jason Demers, Justin Braun, Derek Dorsett (basically a longer lasting Jordan Nolan), Hornqvist, and Colin Greening. Now, there can be some late-bloomers, maybe Sparks is a legit NHLer but hasn't established himself or there are other guys like Andreas Johansson. Of the non-Korshkov guys, you might have a 1 in 8 chance of getting something of use.

I'm not going to go after our QMJHL scouts for example if Bouthillier doesn't hit. The Russian guys should get some credit for Soshnikov. Zaitsev was wanted by most teams, but Soshnikov was an under the radar find. Are there guys I'd prefer to Kara taken after, yeah, but the only guy who I'd be jealous of is Elvenes at the moment. Most of the other players are all still at a significant disadvantage to make the NHL Dzierkals is a miss, I'd rather Denis Malgin or Cirelli, but again, an early 3rd doesn't have a high-probability at all of being an NHLer of value.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Can we even sign Leason? Doesn't he have to go through the draft one more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad