Rumor: The never-ending Myers rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's a commodity. If the deal fits, fine. But in terms of just "hey let's keep moving NHLers for futures", eh, I don't see the fit.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Just acquiesce to any trade suggestion and let it go. Those threads spiral out of control like Amanda Bynes on a bender.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Can Myers play LD, or has he ever?

If LD was his natural position I could see Bryan and Tim Murray agreeing to a deal that involves Myers coming to Ottawa. I know I'd love to have him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The sharpest difference between Chicago and Edmonton's rebuilds is that Chicago built a young stable of great defensemen first. I don't see any reason to part with that strategy unless you win the trade so badly it's laughable. Put another way: in our position, we should value Myers more highly than almost any other team in the league would.

Thats not the difference between Chicago and Edmonton nor is it the "strategy" we've employed. The difference (between the Hawks and Oilers) is the fact that Hawks drafted, traded for and signed UFAs to put together the pieces of a well balanced team and prospect pool

The Hawks increased their odds of landing NHLers via the draft by having extra picks every draft year (except 2002) in the years leading up to drafting Toews then Kane. In 2004 alone they had 17 picks that included four 2nd rounders From 2001 to 2005 they had ten 2nd rounders with extra picks in various later rounds in several drafts. It led to them finding a decent amount of talent outside of the first round. Players like Keith, Crawford, Bolland, Bickell in the 2nd round. Goalie Craig Anderson in the 3rd rd, Hjarlmarsson in the 4th, Wizniewski in the 5th, Brouwer in the 7th and Byfuglien in the 8th rd.

There was no favoring or focus on dmen in their draft approach. It just turned out they found some good NHL dmen in the 2nd and later rounds. They also acquired via trade Sharp, Ladd, Vertseeg before they became the players we know them as and before Toews or Kane were drafted. Their free agent signings in the years before, during and right after Toews/Kane came on board were Havlat, Huet, Lang, Niemi, Campbell and Hossa. To point out just how important these non drafted players were to the Hawks emergence. Five of the top 8 scorers in their first playoff season post Toews/Kane drafts were trade acquisitions and free agent signings. Thats the difference between the Oilers and Hawks. The Oilers have done little outside of drafting top end offensive prospects. Not much success outside the 1st round. Nor have they had much success adding key players via trade or in free agency.

As for the Sabres and Myers, we've already acquired an amazing prospect pool with a lot of talent at all positions. We have a lot of high picks in the upcoming 2015 draft which is a deep one. We also have extra top picks in the drafts beyond 2015 and will probably be adding more picks in 2015 and beyond by the trade deadline. We are now in the phase when we can start using these assets (like Myers) to acquire pieces we may need or want. That said, I agree in Myers case it needs to be a very strong offer, overpayment really, to get him.

Last edited:

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
I've been adverse to trading Myers all along but if we could get Nichuskin back after even adding a medium + I would do it. Kid is going to be a stud, bonafide first line scoring winger. Would not hesitate to add in a Compher/Fasching/similar prospect and even this out to make it work.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
If dealing Myers makes the team better, great. Move him.

If keeping him around gets us to the promised land, keep him.

I'm a fan of a team: the Sabres. Not individuals.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Can Myers play LD, or has he ever?

If LD was his natural position I could see Bryan and Tim Murray agreeing to a deal that involves Myers coming to Ottawa. I know I'd love to have him.

As far as I know he's always played RD.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I don't see many realistic scenarios where trading Myers improves the team.

Agreed. A 6'7'' Number 1/2 d man that can skate like Myers in his prime is probably the most valuable piece of any contending team. (If his develop keeps up on this path) You won't find a piece like that when you are trying to contend unless you get it drafting.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Decided to just copy-paste my already posted post here:

There's also one interesting fact about Myers.

Sabres have been the worst team on almost any criteria, but their PK has been clearly above the average, about 10th best in the league.

Myers plays averagely over 3 minutes PK per game, but the team's save percent while he's on ice is 100% http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20

So he plays major minutes on PK and there hasn't been any goals against when he's on a PK. So Myers is clearly one of the biggest reason why Sabres' PK is decent, while everything else isn't. He doesn't usually get credited from being a great penalty killer, while he, in fact, really is.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Never liked Nichushkin. Watched him a lot in Russia.

I would rather keep Myers.

If the deal was Tarasenko. Different story. :naughty:

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I've been adverse to trading Myers all along but if we could get Nichuskin back after even adding a medium + I would do it. Kid is going to be a stud, bonafide first line scoring winger. Would not hesitate to add in a Compher/Fasching/similar prospect and even this out to make it work.

Slow down on the Compher/Fasching end. Maybe adding a Larsson/Cornel/Possler type of prospect would even it out. I don't think you need to add much of anything to Myers if the other team is looking to add a top 4 defensemen to get Nichushkin.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Decided to just copy-paste my already posted post here:

There's also one interesting fact about Myers.

Sabres have been the worst team on almost any criteria, but their PK has been clearly above the average, about 10th best in the league.

Myers plays averagely over 3 minutes PK per game, but the team's save percent while he's on ice is 100% http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20

So he plays major minutes on PK and there hasn't been any goals against when he's on a PK. So Myers is clearly one of the biggest reason why Sabres' PK is decent, while everything else isn't. He doesn't usually get credited from being a great penalty killer, while he, in fact, really is.

That's something I notice for a while. If Myers commits the penalty, the chances our opponents score on the power play increases dramatically. It really shows how important "length"(if I can use a basketball term) is on a power play. You need to be able to get sticks in the passing lanes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't see many realistic scenarios where trading Myers improves the team.

Short term, no.

Long term? Possibly

Exactly.

It would appear that Murray likes the up and coming RHD (Ristolainen, Pysyk, and Ruhwedel) and is looking to move Myers in a deal that makes their young forward core better.

Ideally, the Sabres would be adding a high end young winger in the deal.

I don't see Dallas giving up Nichushkin, but that is the type of guy I could see Murray being willing to move Myers for.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can we just start reacting to every Tyler Myers trade rumor as if the offer was for Tyler Ennis. Just, as a group, to save ourselves the agony and to hopefully end this nonsense?

Example:
Myers to the Canucks
There have been lots of rumors lately that Buffalo is willing to move Myers. Personally I think the Canucks need to add young defenceman, and Myers would be awesome in Vancouver. What would it take for Buffalo to give him up, and just for the sakes of this thread no prospects are untouchable.

Appropriate response:
I think Tyler Ennis could be had for Jared McCann. Either side could add a mid round pick to balance it out. But that works.

And THEN DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE the disconnect. I believe this will end all of the Tyler Myers talk in a week or two.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Can we just start reacting to every Tyler Myers trade rumor as if the offer was for Tyler Ennis. Just, as a group, to save ourselves the agony and to hopefully end this nonsense?

Appropriate response:
I think Tyler Ennis could be had for Jared McCann. Either side could add a mid round pick to balance it out. But that works.

And THEN DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE the disconnect. I believe this will end all of the Tyler Myers talk in a week or two.

This is a man who gets it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Example:

Appropriate response:

im on board

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

Why Tyler Ennis? We're not in a position to get smaller. I would love one of Stewart/Stafford at a decent price, but nothing too expensive.

You tell me. I mean, we're not exactly shopping Tyler Ennis but he's obviously available for a fair price and a lot of fanbases are asking.

This ****ing killed me.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

Why Tyler Ennis? We're not in a position to get smaller. I would love one of Stewart/Stafford at a decent price, but nothing too expensive.

You tell me. I mean, we're not exactly shopping Tyler Ennis but he's obviously available for a fair price and a lot of fanbases are asking.

This ****ing killed me.

Yeah, I'm surprised it's been taken at face value. This is going to be harder than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad