Rumor: The never-ending Myers rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
It seems endless. All this summer and still to this day these tweets and comments keep popping up everywhere about Buffalo shopping Myers, Detroit working on a trade for him, etcetera. I try telling myself that this is just nonsense, but it's kind of hard to ignore, so...

Please tell me that this isn't happening. I have a really hard time seing why we would want to trade Myers and what we could possible want in return that helps us. To me Myers is a core piece moving forward. Reset the clock a year or two and I could see the point in trading him while he still had value, while he could still be both bust or success. But now that he's redeemed himself... I'd much rather hang on to him than trade him for anything resonable.

As I've said in another thread - at some point the rebuild has to enter the actual building stage. We can't keep tearing down and trade for picks.

Just posting so you can help me feel better. If there is already an ongoing discussion on this matter somewhere else I apologize and ask for a merge. :)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We usually drop these in the roster speculation thread.

But, I really think that part of this is due to Murray's approach on trades.

Basically, he will always take calls and listen. Even if its a player he has zero interest in trading, he'll let GMs call and basically negotiate against themselves and see if someone does something stupid.

Because of this, if a team really wants Myers, they'll keep calling, throwing stuff against the wall, seeing if they can get a trade done. People in the front office see this, the rumors make it back to the talking heads, and suddenly we have smoke even if Murray has zero intent on EVER trading Myers. Couple together our slow start out of the gate, more teams are probably calling more simply because they perceive buffalo as desperate.

Thus, we hear more Myers rumors even if a trade will never happen (mostly because Buffalo has zero reason to make a trade, so they can ask an insane amount for him)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Myers is our best player right now. But if Murray doesn't see him (and his cap hit) as a cornerstone to a Cup contender towards the end of his contract then he may want to trade him before his NTC kicks in.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Here's the way I see it:

He's really good. And everyone knows that. Well, all GMs know that.

But, due to a time period when he didn't live up to his contract, there's a perception (especially around those that don't really know the whole situation) that he's not good enough.

Team that's traded all its best players + player that's not good enough + plus player team X things is really good = "Oh wow, Gomer, we can get a really good player on the cheap!"

Everyone wants him, everyone thinks there's a chance to get him. Rumors start.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Myers gets moved if the offer is rich. Sabres are under no pressure to trade him in any way. That leaves Murray in a good spot. The only downside is if rumours affect his play. He should be mature by now to partially ignore this.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As others have said....

Myers is not being shopped..

Instead teams are calling and Murray is listening to offers.

There are teams who need an upgrade in their top 4 and buffalo is among a few teams(3-5) in the league who likely aren't going to be sniffing the playoffs this season, thus they may be more willing to move players--in this case Myers.

Buffalo isn't pressed to trade him because of UFA status after this season so Murray has all the controlin a deal and ask for what he wants.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
The fact that so many mainstream guys are reporting this gives it a bit more credibility...but I find it to be an odd move unless legit NHL talent comes back. They have so many picks and prospects that trading a legit, young NHL talent who's "developed" so to speak, for more of the same seems counter-productive at this point.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the rumors don't die because of how Murray operates. In the open. He is up front and because of that the reputable guys will know about and report teams are calling on Myers.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The fact that so many mainstream guys are reporting this gives it a bit more credibility...but I find it to be an odd move unless legit NHL talent comes back. They have so many picks and prospects that trading a legit, young NHL talent who's "developed" so to speak, for more of the same seems counter-productive at this point.

I think it's real but so what. Listen, I trade even Girgensons for the right offer and I love that kid to death.

What is silly is fans on main boards who think Myers can be had for so little. His front end loaded contract makes him even more valuable because Pegula bucks have paid $18-million already

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Considering how long these rumors have been going on, at some point you gotta think: if Murray really wanted to move Myers, he'd be moved already. We know there are potential trade partners because all these teams are calling him about Myers, so that's not an issue. Clearly, Murray values Myers quite a bit if none of those teams has been able to offer up something appetizing enough.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think the rumors don't die because of how Murray operates. In the open. He is up front and because of that the reputable guys will know about and report teams are calling on Myers.
Yep. This is what most teams deal with but Buffalo fans aren't used to it because of how Regier operated. Ask Vancouver fans how many times Alexander Edler was about to be traded. I said in a Detroit thread but trade rumors are often outdated before they even make it to the media. For all we know Murray was asking for Mantha 3 months ago, asking for Larkin 1 month and ago and the trade talks at present time are dead.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yep. This is what most teams deal with but Buffalo fans aren't used to it because of how Regier operated. Ask Vancouver fans how many times Alexander Edler was about to be traded. I said in a Detroit thread but trade rumors are often outdated before they even make it to the media. For all we know Murray was asking for Mantha 3 months ago, asking for Larkin 1 month and ago and the trade talks at present time are dead.

If I remember the article correctly, Mantha was the only prospect that Murray was reported to have asked for, while Larkin and Nyqvist were speculation. I just can't see either Murraybeing satisfied with Larkin or with Detroit refusing to give him up.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wings fan coming in peace. Not sure how much validity this has but this just popped up in the Wings board. Word is that Larkin and Kindl is the starting point, not sure what the full details are though.

@Hope_Smoke
Dreger said most recent request from Buff to Detroit for Myers was Larkin and Kindl. Said it's too much for Detroit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wings fan coming in peace. Not sure how much validity this has but this just popped up in the Wings board. Word is that Larkin and Kindl is the starting point, not sure what the full details are though.

@Hope_Smoke
Dreger said most recent request from Buff to Detroit for Myers was Larkin and Kindl. Said it's too much for Detroit.

Dreger also think Kadri and Gardenier gets the Leafs Eric Staal

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

@Hope_Smoke

If Myers was traded for Larkin and Kindl ALONE, I'd call for Murray's head, and I love Murray.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If Myers was traded for Larkin and Kindl ALONE, I'd call for Murray's head, and I love Murray.

Ya I doubt that was the offer, there must have been another prospect or a 1st or something that made Kenny decline. Although, I wouldn't past Kenny declining if it were just for those 2, he would do something stupid like that.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Dreger also think Kadri and Gardenier gets the Leafs Eric Staal
Don't believe Dreger is saying it's too much. He's saying Detroit thinks it's too much. Ken Holland has also been trying to acquire a defensemen for like 10 years.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I watched Insider Trading and Dreger never mentioned anything about Kindl .... said the price INCLUDED Larkin .... so unless Dreger was on another show and mentioned Kindl not sure where it came from

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I watched Insider Trading and Dreger never mentioned anything about Kindl .... said the price INCLUDED Larkin .... so unless Dreger was on another show and mentioned Kindl not sure where it came from

Flyers fan here--he said it on TSN Radio Toronto this afternoon. I was listening.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but he absolutely said that DET turned down Larkin and Kindl for Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad