Rumor: The never-ending Myers rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This is OEL's worst GA season of his career and one of Myers' best. We haven't had the better defensive player over their careers.

The Reinhart for OEL talk is just creating a hypothetical where the team loses its leverage in Myers negotiations so we have to trade him for the "fan who is down on Myers as a player" value package.

Not really. If you can do better for Myers, go for it. Hopefully we can.

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
The fact that the Sabres are willing to trade Myers, leads me to believe that there is something about his game they do not like.

And spare me with the "they aren't actively shopping him non-sense". With so many rumors flying around you can conclude logically that they are in discussions with other teams about the possibility of trading him. Whether the Sabres are initiating them or not, they are willing and listening or I can't imagine there would be all of this chatter.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not really. If you can do better for Myers, go for it. Hopefully we can.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time removing your emotional biases from a scenario that:
A) moves Myers for a "nyah nyah, told you he wasn't valuable" package (after creating the circumstances for this to happen)
B) opens long term NHL development space from Grigorenko
C) removes competition at forward from Ennis
D) bets against Reinhart becoming more valuable than OEL as soon as next season

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Really, it wasnt.

aLRsmSt.jpg

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This is OEL's worst GA season of his career and one of Myers' best. We haven't had the better defensive player over their careers.

The Reinhart for OEL talk is just creating a hypothetical where the team loses its leverage in Myers negotiations so we have to trade him for the "fan who is down on Myers as a player" value package.

I wonder if the Phoenix fan base will go full dodo bird in assessing his talent as they enter tank mode, and the talent around OEL dries up

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I agree that over their careers OEL has shown to be the better player, but to the bolded part of that can be attributed to Yotes having a stronger team for the last 4 years. This year you could claim is OEL having a down year, or you could look at as both guys having a level playing field of being on hot garbage teams. What were the numbers like last year?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Mantha, but I don't see that being available. Dekeyser + Pulkkinen is better than Fowler + Bourque or the other stuff that is floating around.

did you sneak Bourque in there because you knew the basis of what you were saying was laughable, and figured you'd bring down the value a bit with a waiver wire player?

:laugh:

The Dekeyser + Pulkinnen proposal is so bad... but it's also hysterical in a stokesian sense. The 2 players who compare best to those 2 guy's ceilings, from recent Sabres teams.... Sekera and Hodgson. Your two favorites :laugh: That's the best case scenario in that trade.

ZeroPT*

Mantha, but I don't see that being available. Dekeyser + Pulkkinen is better than Fowler + Bourque or the other stuff that is floating around.

So prospects. Gotcha. DeKeyser wishes he were as good as Myers. Mantha is nice, not trading an established top 3 D-man for him. Pulkkinen is the one Detroit prospect I think busts. His skating is too bad for him to be an effective top 6 player

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I wonder if the Phoenix fan base will go full dodo bird in assessing his talent as they enter tank mode, and the talent around OEL dries up

Probably not, because he's done it before and for a long time. Unlike Myers, who hasn't been great since the first 60 games of his career.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The fact that the Sabres are willing to trade Myers, leads me to believe that there is something about his game they do not like.

And spare me with the "they aren't actively shopping him non-sense". With so many rumors flying around you can conclude logically that they are in discussions with other teams about the possibility of trading him. Whether the Sabres are initiating them or not, they are willing and listening or I can't imagine there would be all of this chatter.

Or, they are taking calls, asking for ridiculously high value packages.... because they like a LOT of things about his game, and are only going to trade him if someone makes a "crazy" offer, like Murray has said.

If you don't listen to offers, you miss out when someone finally offers Fowler, Ritchie, Gibson, 1st

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
did you sneak Bourque in there because you knew the basis of what you were saying was laughable, and figured you'd bring down the value a bit with a waiver wire player?

:laugh:

The Dekeyser + Pulkinnen proposal is so bad... but it's also hysterical in a stokesian sense. The 2 players who compare best to those 2 guy's ceilings, from recent Sabres teams.... Sekera and Hodgson. Your two favorites :laugh: That's the best case scenario in that trade.

He's better than Hodgson ever was in the minors. So it looks like he's going to pass that ceiling, maybe already has. And I never hated Sekera. He was a no. 3 to me. I hated how you tried to convince people he was something he's not, a no. 1.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Probably not, because he's done it before and for a long time. Unlike Myers, who hasn't been great since the first 60 games of his career.

Myers has played better this year than he ever did in his rookie year. He is a much better player, and the only thing holding him back from the point totals he had as a rookie is being on the worst team in the league instead of top ten scoring division winner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
Or, they are taking calls, asking for ridiculously high value packages.... because they like a LOT of things about his game, and are only going to trade him if someone makes a "crazy" offer, like Murray has said.

If you don't listen to offers, you miss out when someone finally offers Fowler, Ritchie, Gibson, 1st

Call me crazy but I don't think multiple teams randomly called Murray about Tyler Myers unless he let it be known first that he was available.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So prospects. Gotcha. DeKeyser wishes he were as good as Myers. Mantha is nice, not trading an established top 3 D-man for him. Pulkkinen is the one Detroit prospect I think busts. His skating is too bad for him to be an effective top 6 player

I'll take the small step back from Myers to Dekeyser to add a really nice prospect, yeah.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's better than Hodgson ever was in the minors. So it looks like he's going to pass that ceiling, maybe already has. And I never hated Sekera. He was a no. 3 to me. I hated how you tried to convince people he was something he's not, a no. 1.

For someone who keeps going on about context, which is funny in general, the last time Hodgson was in the AHL as a 21 year old, Pulkinnen is 23, he put up a ppg and then jumped to the NHL as soon as the lockout was over and put 34 pts in 48 games. What are you talking about?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
For someone who keeps going on about context, which is funny in general, the last time Hodgson was in the AHL as a 21 year old, Pulkinnen is 23, he put up a ppg and then jumped to the NHL as soon as the lockout was over and put 34 pts in 48 games. What are you talking about?

Lockout season he turned 23.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Call me crazy but I don't think multiple teams randomly called Murray about Tyler Myers unless he let it be known first that he was available.

They do when a team is terrible. If you look back over the history of the league any team that is terrible and out of the playoffs has ton of trade rumors, because media wants viewers/readers and this is the easiest rumor to create. Why wouldn't a bad team trade a good player...etc. It's pretty common. Same reason why good teams generally don't have rumors about their good players without a crazy issue of some kind, the media has a harder time rationalizing why a good team hurts their chances to win in the playoffs.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I think the extent of the rumor mill has as much to do with the click-bait online "news" industry as anything else. I go to one website that summarizes NHL rumor mill fodder, and I usually do not click on the separate links, just read headlines. I refuse to scroll through various sites knowing that it's just attention grabbing lies meant to drive ad revenue.

I believe maybe 2% of trade rumors have any possible validity to them, and that validity is in the form of, "GM X said he was interested for position Y" and everything else added in is complete and utter speculative BS that any casual fan could spitball. So just because Myers name keeps coming up means one thing - hockey media sources have seen how much it drives web visits, so it's good business to say his name for the next six weeks. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille