The Network War (formerly Hockey Media etc. )

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
OT but my good friend now plays for the Ottawa RedBlacks.

TVA Sport sent a guy to interview the new 1frst round pick from MTL and a couple other Quebecois (my friend).

They asked him what it was like to play for another team than MTL. He answered politely that MTL was the only team that didn't not approached him on draft day.

After that they asked what it would be like to play in play in front of his home crowd. He replied that he was from Gatineau.... The journalist specified ok but you know what i mean in front of a french/quebecois crowd. Friend replied you know Ottawa has the most out of qc french population..

End of interview, it was not shown on tv lol

Anyway RDS is bad but not the worst :sarcasm:

to be fair, CBC (and the people on the main board) think the same way about Gatineau (see Ron Maclean/French ref incident)

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
This isn't journalism. RDS is bias, therefore, not journalism. It's 'journal de Montreal' quality, it's for entertainment, and catters to casual French Habs fans. You're not the target audience, and I'm not either, because their opinions are meaningless to me. I watch games and make my own opinions out of them.

Most French fans don't read / participate in these discussions, and rightfully so since most don't / can't have a convo in English, and while I don't really put much weight on those subjects, you can see the Anti-French bias those English fans have when skimming through their post history. One post after another bashing a Frenchie, the French coach or the French GM. Never a credit when it's due. Not even crediting Therrien for preparing his team, making adjustments on the fly, nothing, only pure Anti-French bias. But I guess I'm crossing the line here. I'm glad RDS is biased towards Quebecers because otherwise we'd only watch Anti-Habs bias from CBC and Anti-French hate on the webz.

Also, how do you feel when they praise Corey Crawford, Alex Killhorn, Brad Richards, Jonathan Toews and other Anglo / mixed Quebecers ? I personnaly feel as much pride about these guys than I do about French local boys. RDS always put an emphasis on birthplace first and not really 'only' the mother tongue.

I'm French and this is ********. I want Therrien (less than during the regular season though) and DD gone, what does that make me then?

I'd like to know. You're trying to put Anglos fans in the same basket which is not fair because they are not the only ones with their supposed "Anti-French bias". I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
TVA sports is worse buddy.

So, because I'm ok with the French broadcaster having a bias for local players, I must be working for them ? Here have a straw.

I have absolutely no opinion on TVA sports. Literally never watched it.

But you can't put "pros" and "bias" together. Not compatible.

You seem to fine with bias. But don't imagine that what you're watching is professional in any way.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I'm French and this is ********. I want Therrien (less than during the regular season though) and DD gone, what does that make me then?

I'd like to know. You're trying to put Anglos fans in the same basket which is not fair because they are not the only ones with their supposed "Anti-French bias". I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That makes you admitting having terrible hockey analysys skills.

Therrien warrants an extension and DD is worth his 3.5M contract. Entirely. And evidence says that I'm right, facts are that they're part of the factors responsible of our Cup run.

And here I was wondering when would be the first sign of 'aplatventrisme' to appear in this thread. What exactly is your line of thoughts regarding the 'firing Therrien, get rid of DD' so I an have a good laugh destroying your idiotic arguments ? Ohh forgive me, I already know, DD stole 'Mon beau Lars' lunch money and gurls. Soooo predictable.

Were you one of those awfuls that were ok with BOOOING the **** out of Breezer but not Gomez because he was a good locker room guy ?

Last edited:

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I have absolutely no opinion on TVA sports. Literally never watched it.

But you can't put "pros" and "bias" together. Not compatible.

You seem to fine with bias. But don't imagine that what you're watching is professional in any way.

I don't think they're 'pros', but I think they are 'more professionnal' when you compare RDS to TVA sports. You'll see next year.:yo:

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
That makes you admitting having terrible hockey analysys skills.

Therrien warrants an extension and DD is worth his 3.5M contract. Entirely. And evidence says that I'm right, facts are that they're part of the factors responsible of our Cup run.

And here I was wondering when would be the first sign of 'aplatventrisme' to appear in this thread. What exactly is your line of thoughts regarding the 'firing Therrien, get rid of DD' so I an have a good laugh destroying your idiotic arguments ? Ohh forgive me, I already know, DD stole 'Mon beau Lars' lunch money and gurls. Soooo predictable.

Were you one of those awfuls that were ok with BOOOING the **** out of Breezer but not Gomez because he was a good locker room guy ?

Wtf man with all the cocky/arrogant comments...grow the **** up a little bit. I'd never booed someone, not that type of guy.

Who the **** are you, seriously?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't think they're 'pros', but I think they are 'more professionnal' when you compare RDS to TVA sports. You'll see next year.:yo:

I don't plan on seriously watching TVA or RDS next year. I do browse RDS's website from time to time, then I feel embarrassed for them and leave it at that for a few months. After a while, I tend to forget how embarrassing they are and it starts over. :laugh:

I'm fine with a tiny little bit of homerism. Even the most professional play by play guy will show more emotion when 'his' team scores. That's fine, it makes for a good show.

But RDS? The ways they will go to defend "les petits gars de chez nous" is beyond embarassing. I remember seeing Francois Gagnon in a highlight last year when PK won the Norris and Gagnon said Letang would have been a more deserving winner. :shakehead

Last edited:

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
Yay, another thread leaning on french-media bashing.

RDS is horrible. But the same can be said for many if not all media outlets.

I can't believe it's still a surprise for many that some channels are homer for the type of audiences they have...

Cherry works for the ROC. L'Antichambre works for Qc. It just illustrates how much alike we are. Nothing more.

Hometown boys will always have the upper hand, in all markets, since they appeal to the public that pays.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm considering changing the title so as to steer the conversation away from RDS specifically and more towards sports media as a whole.

Conversations like these usually deal with sensitive topics and are normally shut down before they even start. Let's all behave like adults and see how far we can take a mature conversation most kids can handle at the high-school level.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Francois Gagnon said that Desharnais was and i quote: " The best center of the Habs in game 5" in today's blog.

Really? Eller finished with 2 assist and a +3.....but he got 3 penalties so he sucked according to them. Plek played south of 21 minutes, played great PK minutes and scored a goal.

But DD with his penalty and his empty netter, was the best center cause he won faceoffs.

They really trying hard to sell this guy.

Oddly, it was possibly DD's worst game of the playoffs.

But this is Gagnon being his stupid self, and nothing else. Had he said DD was the best forward of the Habs in game 6 and 7 against Boston, well, would've made sense. Game 5 against the Rangers ? Not at all.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As for Desharnais himself : if you expect better than what he is in the playoffs as a whole, you're the one with a problem. As a whole, he played great as we can expect considering salary and all.

But game 5 against the Rangers? No. Not at all. That was a winger-driven game all along.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And now my two posts have nothing to do with the thread title...

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Yay, another thread leaning on french-media bashing.

RDS is horrible. But the same can be said for many if not all media outlets.

I can't believe it's still a surprise for many that some channels are homer for the type of audiences they have...

Cherry works for the ROC. L'Antichambre works for Qc. It just illustrates how much alike we are. Nothing more.

Hometown boys will always have the upper hand, in all markets, since they appeal to the public that pays.

Exactly, RDS is guilty of over-praising Quebec born players, and rightfully so as the competition all have their Jack Edwards.

That said, I think RDS still come up with a lot of respect for the teams playing against Montreal. Take TB for example, not quoting any of the analysts but we've all heard : 'Best forecheck of the NHL, one of the speedier team, a heck of a young defense, etc etc.' I doubt you hear those types of praise from American broadcasts on the Habs.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Wtf man with all the cocky/arrogant comments...grow the **** up a little bit. I'd never booed someone, not that type of guy.

Who the **** are you, seriously?

Still waiting for the reasons to can Therrien and dump DD.

So if I don't agree I'm arrogant and cocky. So be it. I will NEVER agree with some random poster that can't get past their personal preferences for the successes of the team first. I'm sorry that 'Mon beau Lars' don't play 25mins a night and on all PPs and PKs.

Dump DD to make room for Eller and Gally amirite ?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Exactly, RDS is guilty of over-praising Quebec born players, and rightfully so as the competition all have their Jack Edwards.

That said, I think RDS still come up with a lot of respect for the teams playing against Montreal. Take TB for example, not quoting any of the analysts but we've all heard : 'Best forecheck of the NHL, one of the speedier team, a heck of a young defense, etc etc.' I doubt you hear those types of praise from American broadcasts on the Habs.

They historically love Tampa Bay because of Vinny, St-Louis, Boucher. None of them is there anymore though! :laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Have no problem with that as long as they're not going too far... and unfortunately that's what they're doing most of the time.

DD was NOT one of our best player last game, so yeah they can say he was good, bot please be smart eough not to say he was among the best, everyone who watched the game know the Eller line was better, Gallagher was better, so was Galchenyuk... you know...

same for Bouillon, sure say he was good if you want to be a homer, but he was no better than Gorges, or Markov for example, so don't say he was among the best...

that's what they're guilty of, it's just too much most of the time, and while I get what you're saying about local guys and al', they make temselves look stupid with this stuff.

If anything though, people should just do like me and others, dont watch the sideshows, watch the game and move on! :nod:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Still waiting for the reasons to can Therrien and dump DD.

Well, Therrien's got results, no one can deny it. But he made a lot of strange/dumb moves, we can't deny that either. Playing mind games with Subban. Relying too much on Markov, who's completelly gassed in the playoffs. Playing dump and chase/grind when it's not suited to our team etc.

I wouldn't say to fire him, but he should be challenged a lot more regarding his decisions and we know it won't come from our franco "journalists".

As for DD, he's not, just by himself, a problem. The problem is having 4 diminutive forwards in our lineup. At least two of them have to go, some would say keep only Gally and get rid of anything under 6'. I don't necessarily agree, but it's hockey, always been like this.

One thing for sure: they may all prove us wrong this year. If the smallest team in the NHL goes to the cup finals and has a good showing, HFBoard will just implode.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Reading the title i thought i was on the Stormfront website. And then i just realized it was a thread about DD and Bouillon getting more coverage from RDS, this title is really really Pejorative Slured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad