OT: The Music Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We all know where the term "Joy Division" comes from, no?

Yes. Ironically, owing to a pact they made to not continue the band name if anyone quits, they chose New Order without realizing that Mein Kampf uses the term dozens of times. Two band names in a row having Nazi connotations got them labeled as right wingers, when they were quite the opposite. But true to their not giving a f*** attitude, they kept the name and made it successful.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Anyone recognize this and where it’s from?

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
should this be in the TV thread or music thread? Who cares, no clue how I got so far down the rabbit hole at work today this vid popped up, hadn`t seen it in years, still hold up well

• Haha
Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Speaking of The Clash...

An album as important and critically acclaimed as much as it was divisive with the band in question's original fan base. London Calling was The Clash's point of initial sonic separation from punk and becoming more of a pop rock band. While pop rock has had its fingers in the DNA of punk, the sound of The Clash on London Calling was a massive departure from their initial harder edged sound that was showcased front and center on their first two albums. Whether that was the upgraded level of production quality smoothing out the sound to the point it was taking off too much of the sonic edge that The Clash had, The Clash experimenting too much they deviated naturally away from the likes of The Ramones and Sex Pistols, the shifting nature of the music scene The Clash were in, or just the natural byproduct of crossing over into the mainstream is too hard to pinpoint at least from my perspective. What can be said is that the album is very good and was a happy mix between punk and the initial flirting the band had with genres of music like reggae, ska, jazz, and rockabilly among others. And while I like The Clash's music efforts after this, there's something the band's later output is missing in my opinion.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Anyone here a fan of groove metal? During the Metallica two-day concert at the beginning of the month, Pantera and Five Finger Death Punch were openers (different nights), and since then, I've just let my FFDP playlist run through and let Apple Music go from there. I had never really investigated that genre of music before, but have since discovered how much I really like harder metal bands like Godsmack, Slipknot, Korn, Stone Sour, All That Remains, etc. For other fans, what are some other bands I should spend more listening time on?

Not trying to be snarky with this response, but my answer is yes…when I was in middle school.

Theres a lot of talent in those bands, but I just can’t get over how so much of it sounds exactly the same to me. The lyrics are generally pretty one dimensional and the vocals are predictable.

Feel like why I’ve gotten more into “prog metal” in later years is just because there’s more variation on the music and lyrics. A lot of that groove metal is just relying on riffs IMO and I can only listen to so much of it.

Babajingo

Did you know it was an homage to this?

View attachment 747627
Totally. While Elvis cover has a sexual tone, the Clash one is more violent. Maybe that's their point?
I forget the exact quote "Good artists copy, great artists steal". Something like that.

Just my take.

I Iike Dark Side of the Moon and Shakedown Street too.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Speaking of The Clash...

An album as important and critically acclaimed as much as it was divisive with the band in question's original fan base. London Calling was The Clash's point of initial sonic separation from punk and becoming more of a pop rock band. While pop rock has had its fingers in the DNA of punk, the sound of The Clash on London Calling was a massive departure from their initial harder edged sound that was showcased front and center on their first two albums. Whether that was the upgraded level of production quality smoothing out the sound to the point it was taking off too much of the sonic edge that The Clash had, The Clash experimenting too much they deviated naturally away from the likes of The Ramones and Sex Pistols, the shifting nature of the music scene The Clash were in, or just the natural byproduct of crossing over into the mainstream is too hard to pinpoint at least from my perspective. What can be said is that the album is very good and was a happy mix between punk and the initial flirting the band had with genres of music like reggae, ska, jazz, and rockabilly among others. And while I like The Clash's music efforts after this, there's something the band's later output is missing in my opinion.

I've heard it said that they slowed down enough to learn how to actually play their instruments. Which is funny, but ignores the fact that they were pretty good musicians (for punks) before they formed The Clash. I mean, Joe was in a frigging rockabilly group, and none of them taught themselves to play in 2 weeks using Stooges albums and amphetamines ala Steve Jones.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Speaking of The Clash...

Loved it upon release. Still my favorite.

First U.S. radio hit,

Did you know it was an homage to this?

View attachment 747627

I did indeed.

I've heard it said that they slowed down enough to learn how to actually play their instruments. Which is funny, but ignores the fact that they were pretty good musicians (for punks) before they formed The Clash. I mean, Joe was in a frigging rockabilly group, and none of them taught themselves to play in 2 weeks using Stooges albums and amphetamines ala Steve Jones.

Yeah, but I'll take Jonesy's guitar any day of the week.

Reactions: aguineapig72

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Totally. While Elvis cover has a sexual tone, the Clash one is more violent. Maybe that's their point?
I forget the exact quote "Good artists copy, great artists steal". Something like that.

Just my take.

I Iike Dark Side of the Moon and Shakedown Street too.

Mediocrity borrows.

Genius steals.

Speaking of "Dark Side of the Moon," anyone up on jolly Roger Waters these days?

What a guy!

1696109526053.png

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Mediocrity borrows.

Genius steals.

Speaking of "Dark Side of the Moon," anyone up on jolly Roger Waters these days?

What a guy!

View attachment 747726

He's always been that guy, he just hid it well before. Tough to imagine how a guy who is that obsessed with his father's death in the war against Nazis and Fascists could be such a virulent anti-semite. Weird how the mind works.

Reactions: GordonHowe

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
However it’s time to leave Neil Young to think long and hard about what he’s done, because the Ditch Trilogy isn’t so much about Neil Young as it is about Neil’s band, Crazy Horse, and in particular, guitarist Danny Whitten.

As Young himself put it, “Every musician has one guy in the planet that he can play with better than anyone else. You only get one guy. My guy was Danny Whitten” - From Every Record Tells a Story

Danny wrote Downtown and shared vocals with Neil on the original.

Became a standard long after Danny was gone.

Gone, gone the damage done

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
He's always been that guy, he just hid it well before. Tough to imagine how a guy who is that obsessed with his father's death in the war against Nazis and Fascists could be such a virulent anti-semite. Weird how the mind works.

To be somewhat fair to Waters, this isn't the first time he used certain imagery of dictatorships for his concerts. According to a friend of mine who I talked to about the matter (who may be just a slight bit biased as he's a major fan of Pink Floyd), Waters used a similar gimmick before to get over the point of being against authoritarian regimes. That said...given some of Roger's...recent open airing of views...I think it's a tad tone deaf of him to do that when there's a new perception to him doing that. Whether fair or unfair, separating the man from the art is not an easy task especially in music when so much of himself goes into it.

But yeah...Waters is a dick.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
My Top Ten Classic Rock Songs in no order except for #1 (see my user title).

1. Aerosmith, Sweet Emotion
Black Sabbath, Paranoid
Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb
Van Halen, Everybody Wants Some!!
Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, All Along the Watchtower
The Beatles, A Day in the Life
AC/DC, Back in Black
The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter
Led Zeppelin, Kashmir

Status
Not open for further replies.