OT: The Music Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Some bands can't pull off a live show. Petty was always excellent.

I saw the Heartbreakers so many times. When they were with Bob Dylan it was so good I went to both shows (Great Woods). Dylan is moody and it can affect his performance but he looked like he was really enjoying himself with Tom and the boys.

I agree - I’ve seen many shows where the bands are going through the motions. Petty’s concerts were always an event.

I started listening to Petty in ‘89 when Full Moon Fever came out so I missed the Dylan/Heartbreakers tours which (correct me if I’m wrong) took place 87-88? I have a great print of Dylan and Petty in my basement.

Funny, when I started listening to Petty I was in the midst of a metal phase (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Helloween, Anthrax, etc.) but something about his music drew me in. I’ve always preferred heavier music, but Petty was great.

Reactions: sooshii and Ladyfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree - I’ve seen many shows where the bands are going through the motions. Petty’s concerts were always an event.

I started listening to Petty in ‘89 when Full Moon Fever came out so I missed the Dylan/Heartbreakers tours which (correct me if I’m wrong) took place 87-88? I have a great print of Dylan and Petty in my basement.

Funny, when I started listening to Petty I was in the midst of a metal phase (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Helloween, Anthrax, etc.) but something about his music drew me in. I’ve always preferred heavier music, but Petty was great.
followed Petty across your great land in 2002, saw almost 30 shows that summer, his "opening act" was Jackson Browne for much of it then Brian Setzer Trio. Other than TP and the Heartbreakers being terrific performers/entertainers, they are also incredibly generous with their "opening acts", they don`t just send some no name band out there for 20 minutes. Browne played about an hour and 10 minutes, same with the Setzer Trio and both joined TP and the H during their portion of the concert

There`s barely a day I don`t have some Petty song blasting

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
followed Petty across your great land in 2002, saw almost 30 shows that summer, his "opening act" was Jackson Browne for much of it then Brian Setzer Trio. Other than TP and the Heartbreakers being terrific performers/entertainers, they are also incredibly generous with their "opening acts", they don`t just send some no name band out there for 20 minutes. Browne played about an hour and 10 minutes, same with the Setzer Trio and both joined TP and the H during their portion of the concert

I remember you saying you were a big Tom Petty fan year ago We saw them with Jackson too.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY

This whole thread was precipitated by Yer So Bad coming up on playlist I made years ago. I always championed Petty to anyone who would listen because his music goes way beyond his hits (of which there are dozens). Each of his albums contains a special tune no one has heard.

And that’s awesome you got to follow him on tour like that. Living in NY, I’ve always been extremely lucky when it comes to live shows. Im a 30 minute train ride out of the city and LI has some great venues. I saw Guided By Voices with maybe 200 other people in an amazing place on the north shore. Modest Mouse, Jason Isbell, Jimmy Eat World, Pixies, Drive-By Truckers all played at a venue down the road from my house. Brooklyn, Queens, NYC, Hoboken, etc...there are always bands playing.

Can’t wait until this is over because I miss going to shows more than I do seeing sporting events live.

Reactions: Blowfish

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY

and speaking of great lands, I loved Halifax and Nova Scotia when I visited. Would love to spend some time fishing up there and the landscape is phenomenal and the people were super friendly.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have to give Jackson Browne a try. I never got into him but his name pops up a lot.
I love Jackson. I am old ! Tom was one of my favorites.

We Saw Jackson at the Pavilion in Boston May 15th 2018 .We had great seats. It was a Mother's Day gift from my daughter. If heavy metal is your favorite Jackson is more acoustic guitar and piano !

Joe Walsh opened. Both were great !

32839150_10216016006462218_5487666940866461696_n.jpg

32557355_10216016006622222_7673501700472176640_n.jpg

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yes, he is. Very underrated.

I loved Stan Lynch in the Heartbreakers as well.
They were a good group. I liked Stan too.

If you see my post #19 take a listen. Mike rarely sang and Benmont would quietly sing some backup but both showed up for the celebration of what would have been Tom's 70th birthday and sang in memory of Tom.

They were so close to Tom. Benmont's version of American Girl is so touching.

My Mom was a musician . Piano and organ (at a church for 46 years) . She heard Benmont on some TV show years ago and thought he was very good. He started with classical piano lessons as a child. Over the years (especially at concerts) he would have a piano solo...He was underrated for sure.

Last edited:

aguineapig

Jackson Browne was an early member of this band. He wrote this at sixteen.

Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them
These Days

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't listen to Tom Petty because it gives me Vietnam-like flashbacks to that football game that he played at halftime of.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Jackson Browne was an early member of this band. He wrote this at sixteen.

Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them
These Days

Great song. He has a way with words.

I like how Jackson can come out on a stage alone and play so many songs with just an acoustic guitar or piano and sound so good.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I can't listen to Tom Petty because it gives me Vietnam-like flashbacks to that football game that he played at halftime of.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cause an emotional reaction with me because for years my daughter and I shared to love of their music and went to many concerts.

I Could not listen to TP music when he died because it just made me so sad.

About a year after he was gone a Tom Petty cover band came to a local music hall near me (The Tupelo) and I got tickets for my neighbor and I to go. I thought the band would suck but they were quite good. They are called Damn the Torpedoes. I have seen them twice.

I started listening to the TP music again.

Different music reminds me of different things.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

aguineapig

Saw these guys open for another band in the 70's can't remember who but these guys stole the show

Used to insert "Vida Blue" into this one instead of Jackie.

Dedicate this one to Curtis Lazar and Marge T. Greene.
"Laser beams in my Dreams'

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was saddened to hear Tawny Kitaen passed away, and she was only 59. She wasn't a musician, but she is forever tied to those Whitesnake videos. I was the right age and the target demographic of those songs and videos, and they hit them all out of the park.

I watched some of her personal videos, and she had hit some tough times. She was very complimentary of her ex husband, pitcher Chuck Finley for still supporting her, despite the fact their kids were adults and didn't need to.

Here I Go Again is iconic, Still of the Night is classic, but this one is my favorite:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad