OT: The Movie & TV Thread

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I don't go to movie theatres anymore. I prefer watching at home, because nobody asks me to leave when I take my pants off.

I mean I have no problem putting on my pants when I go to a movie theater. Of course it's only because I work from home so putting pants on happens only when I go to see a movie

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dune was really good. It covered the first half of the book, and was pretty loyal to the book. Filming was really good, as well as the score. Slow paced, not some action filled scifi piece that it might have been with some other director and Hollywood bosses wanting to cash out with Dune name in a summer blockbuster.

They didn't explain too much of the details, which I liked but I wonder what it all looks like to someone who hasn't read the books. There were also lot's of things that seemed like a fan service only because they didn't really add anything to the plot, but I liked them. For example, Thufir Hawat was there in few scenes, but he or mentat's in general were really not explained.

This movie was really about Paul and Lady Jessica (and Chani). Most of the other characters had only few scenes, Gurney Halleck was in 3 maybe. I wonder how much Josh Brolin got paid for this. I can't be sure about this but it feels like half of the final trailer dialogue was not in the film :laugh:

Opening title says "Dune part 1", hopefully they get to make the second (and third?) part to finalize the story.

21,90€ for a ticket in a "fake IMAX" theater (local theater chain here doesn't want to pay too much licencing fees to IMAX so they have their own concept), thank god I dont have to pay these tickets myself.
I liked the new Dune movie. Not that happy that I will have to wait a year or two to see Part II. I Disliked the Dune movie that was made in the '80's or so.
I've read the book but its been decades since I read it.
Still can't get up the courage to go to a movie theater yet... but maybe that's because so far I haven't seen anything released lately that would entice me.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I liked the new Dune movie. Not that happy that I will have to wait a year or two to see Part II. I Disliked the Dune movie that was made in the '80's or so.
I've read the book but its been decades since I read it.
Still can't get up the courage to go to a movie theater yet... but maybe that's because so far I haven't seen anything released lately that would entice me.

I think the 80's movie was ok, other than that I agree with everything else you said.

I want to see second part of Dune, I can't remember the last time I read the book, I want to go to a movie theater but I'm a bit scared still :laugh:

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
If anyone hasn’t seen Yellowstone, you are missing out. If you have seen it and don’t like, we can’t be friends.

They have spin offs as well. 1883 which is about how they got the land i believe and one about the 4 6's. I think i have heard of one more that is the planning stage. 1883 is out now and 4 6's later this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They have spin offs as well. 1883 which is about how they got the land i believe and one about the 4 6's. I think i have heard of one more that is the planning stage. 1883 is out now and 4 6's later this year.

They showed a clip of that tune 1883, I would be into it for sure.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Movies seen in theater 2022 so far:

The Batman 6.3.2022
The Innocents 18.4.2022
Morbius 19.4.2022
The Northman 24.4.2022
Belfast 25.4.2022
Death on the Nile 27.4.2022
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 7.5.2022
Everything Everywhere All at Once 7.5.2022
Top Gun Maverick 2.6.2022
Memoria 31.5.2022
Men 13.6.2022
Operation Mincemeat 15.6.2022
The Survivor 27.6.2022
Thor: Love & Thunder 13.7.2022

The Black Phone will be next. Also Ted K, The Hatching, Drive my Car, but there's basically only late night slots for those so who knows. Still 10 tickets left that are valid until late August, most likely I dont have time or movies to use them all. Good first half anyway

Reactions: Tofveve

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Saw Nope last sunday on Imax. Ok, but not a great masterpiece like some reviews said. 3/5, Get Out and Us were much better.

7 tickets left, surprisingly they are valid 3 months longer than what it says on the ticket so looks like I have time to use them all. Still haven't seen Ted K, The Hatching, Drive my Car

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Movies seen in theater 2022 so far:

The Batman 6.3.2022
The Innocents 18.4.2022
Morbius 19.4.2022
The Northman 24.4.2022
Belfast 25.4.2022
Death on the Nile 27.4.2022
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 7.5.2022
Everything Everywhere All at Once 7.5.2022
Top Gun Maverick 2.6.2022
Memoria 31.5.2022
Men 13.6.2022
Operation Mincemeat 15.6.2022
The Survivor 27.6.2022
Thor: Love & Thunder 13.7.2022

The Black Phone will be next. Also Ted K, The Hatching, Drive my Car, but there's basically only late night slots for those so who knows. Still 10 tickets left that are valid until late August, most likely I dont have time or movies to use them all. Good first half anyway

What did you think of Black Phone? I meant to see it then it was out of theatres.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Best show for me this year so far was Archive 81. Was sad and shocked it wasn't renewed after 1 season. Definitely worth the watch. At first I thought the characters would be stereotypes but thankfully no. Just normal with slow(ish) grind story and tension build. As usual with this genre things dropped off a little toward the end but was still worth the watch all the way through. I think it was only 8 episodes so definitely an easy binge.

Worst show this year was the new Netflix Resident Evil. Barely made it through 1 episode. Nothing but a modern teenage drama filled with annoying, unbelievable and unlikeable characters. Nothing like the movie or game series.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What did you think of Black Phone? I meant to see it then it was out of theatres.
It was ok, not bad, not great. Maybe little disappointing because of all the hype and great reviews I read before seeing it. I'd say 4-/5.

Top Gun, The Survivor, The Innocents, these were all 5/5

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
This premiered in TIFF couple of days ago. Hopefully it'll be in theaters soon, I understood that it already has global distribution through Sony Pictures

Director Jalmari Helander's 'Sisu' is an absurd action film about one man killing a whole mess of Nazis.

Toronto 2022 Review: SISU, Really Really Really Loves Blowing Up Nazis
Relentlessly brutal and unexpectedly hilarious, Sisu is a hoot, a holler, and the most fun you can have watching Nazis get absolutely destroyed by a gold-hunting ex-military grandpa.

Not much in the story or characters, but somekind of mix between Inglorious basterds and Max Mad fury road is what some reviews say. Should be entertaining 90 minutes.

The 30 second teaser I saw in theater couple of weeks ago had some nice photography and a guy throwing a stone to a land mine to trigger it off to kill some nazis.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Have been enjoying the House of the Dragon series and am coming around a bit to the Rings of Power one they're doing. Been a pretty shit year for movies IMO but Everything Everywhere All at Once was incredible and Top Gun: Maverick was enjoyable as a popcorn movie. Loooot of Tom Cruise though.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I've watched three episodes of Andor today and it's good, really good. Like really really good. There's some Battle of Algiers* inspired stuff going on so I think it's gonna get better. Also there's no stupid fan service Star wars stuff.

*I admit I haven't seen Battle of Algiers but I know what it's about

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Sisu was good. Absurd, over-the-top, unrealistic, humorous nazi killing for 90 minutes. Some Fury Road, some Inglorious Basterds, a little bit of John Wick. I think it got quite good distribution deal in NA, should be in theaters in a couple of months.

New year, new movies tickets. 26 tickets left, luckily my new apartment is 700m from the theater.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Has anyone started watching The Last of Us?

I haven't had had a chance to look into it yet, but I've heard many others rave in excitement about recognizing local landscapes.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Has anyone started watching The Last of Us?

I haven't had had a chance to look into it yet, but I've heard many others rave in excitement about recognizing local landscapes.
I was going to wait and binge it once all of the episodes were online.

Excited to see parts of Calgary and area and what they'll look like in 20 years once the apocalypse hits. :snide:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Binge-watched the first 8 episodes of TWD season 11. Best season since season 1 IMO. Very impressed after grinding through most of the seasons (started it way back when whenever it started - 2009/10 on AMC; been a long ride).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Found the inspiration for the all-star game jerseys.

yIRwmZX.jpeg

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I've seen all 3 episodes. Very true to the game. I'm enjoying it.

I'm waiting to binge them like others, but I'm catching glimpses of shots/pics and clips on social media. It's even cooler since I drove by some of those sets they had out there and it feels good that the production team and actors/actresses are saying they love the vibe while filming out there.

But... I think I might have to relent and binge the first five eps soon.

Apparently the production team was surprised that there weren't abandoned buildings and gas stations readily available for doing shots out here. Things were also ultra clean so they had to make things actually apocalyptic dirty for the sets. But I would hope that this is more of a positive for Alberta filming going forward as some teams decide they want to go for more blank canvases for their game adaptations of their films.

Andrew Garfield apparently gushed about his time out in Calgary? Said he loved Banff/Lake Louise and did lots of movie and game nights with the extras and supporting team etc. on weekend. He even said the food was good... IDK if he was being nice, but it's still nice to hear.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad