The most dominant 3rd and 4th lines the Rangers have had that I can remember

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I didn't say he was a good 3rd liner. I said he can chip in when needed (which he can). And "good job" is an understatement. He's an elite 4th liner and a great PKer.

Sure , he's been great in a lesser role . He's a good player but I bet the team lets him walk as a ufa. Just a hunch

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sure , he's been great in a lesser role . He's a good player but I bet the team lets him walk as a ufa. Just a hunch

If they do it's only because he is asking for too much. It'd be Pejorative Slured to just let him walk unless he priced himself off the team. Why let a guy who is an elite 4th liner, very good PKer, and a team leader walk?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I think Dom Moore could absolutely be a 3rd liner if he was playing with guys like Hags and Fast.

Lock him and Poo up this off-season. Those are the kind of guys I want shaping the identity of my bottom six. They can possess the puck but they do a lot more, too.

edit- See we're talking about Boyle. I think he's a little overpaid but he's having a really great season. I don't think at any point i've been upset with him. AV utilizes him well and Boyle excels in the position he's been put in.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I think Dom Moore could absolutely be a 3rd liner if he was playing with guys like Hags and Fast.

Lock him and Poo up this off-season. Those are the kind of guys I want shaping the identity of my bottom six. They can possess the puck but they do a lot more, too.

edit- See we're talking about Boyle. I think he's a little overpaid but he's having a really great season. I don't think at any point i've been upset with him. AV utilizes him well and Boyle excels in the position he's been put in.

I might give Boyle a slight pay bump, but nothing more. He can definitely add to the fourth line, but not at something like $2.5 mil per.

I think we're slowly forming more of an identity. I think it's more solidified in the "bottom 6" (quotes because I think Pouliot/Brass/Zucs is like a 2b), and, with any luck, working its way up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I might give Boyle a slight pay bump, but nothing more. He can definitely add to the fourth line, but not at something like $2.5 mil per.

I think we're slowly forming more of an identity. I think it's more solidified in the "bottom 6" (quotes because I think Pouliot/Brass/Zucs is like a 2b), and, with any luck, working its way up.

Yeah, at 2.5 he's gone. I'd go up to 2 for him. I'd prefer to keep it around 1.8 or 1.9.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I didn't say he was a good 3rd liner. I said he can chip in when needed (which he can). And "good job" is an understatement. He's an elite 4th liner and a great PKer.

I completely agree with this. For the amount of crap Boyle has taken from Rangers fans, he deserves his due. He is a fantastic 4th liner, not an average one, he's great there. And he can chip in on the 3rd line too and take extra shifts through the lineup where needed. On top of that he's a great PKer with good positioning and a willingness to sacrifice his body. He also finishes every check that he possibly can, the fact that people think he's soft because he's not murdering people is hilarious. Whether it looks like much or not, at his size, even a bump is effective. Plus he levels people from time to time.

He's a very solid player, he always raises his level of play in the playoffs, he's an important glue guy and part of the leadership group in the room. He gets way too much hate for how effective he is.

Is he overpaid though? With where the cap is and where it's going, I would lock him up at his current rate for a few years no question. Boyd Gordon has a 3mil cap hit. That's overpaid for a fourth liner.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
One thing we did not have the last two playoffs was a good consistent bottom 6, it's really reassuring to have such a solid bottom 6 headed into the playoffs this year.

I really hope we lock up Moore for another 2-3 seasons he's the ideal bottom 6 guy that can play anywhere and has been killer in the dot.

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
One thing we did not have the last two playoffs was a good consistent bottom 6, it's really reassuring to have such a solid bottom 6 headed into the playoffs this year.

I really hope we lock up Moore for another 2-3 seasons he's the ideal bottom 6 guy that can play anywhere and has been killer in the dot.

Agreed. The bottom 6 last year was horrendous. The likes of Newbury and )
Haley shouldn't have seen a minute of icetime but no one else was really available

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, at 2.5 he's gone. I'd go up to 2 for him. I'd prefer to keep it around 1.8 or 1.9.

I think if NYR brass offers him a 4-5 year term, there is a good chance he takes a slight discount on the salary... Can also front load the contract like Girardi to make him easier to trade later. He's a special piece in this league.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I completely agree with this. For the amount of crap Boyle has taken from Rangers fans, he deserves his due. He is a fantastic 4th liner, not an average one, he's great there. And he can chip in on the 3rd line too and take extra shifts through the lineup where needed. On top of that he's a great PKer with good positioning and a willingness to sacrifice his body. He also finishes every check that he possibly can, the fact that people think he's soft because he's not murdering people is hilarious. Whether it looks like much or not, at his size, even a bump is effective. Plus he levels people from time to time.

He's a very solid player, he always raises his level of play in the playoffs, he's an important glue guy and part of the leadership group in the room. He gets way too much hate for how effective he is...
Boyle moving to wing was a genius move. I think he has played much more effective hockey both offensively and defensively in a winger role. And do my eyes deceive me, or has he worked really hard on his skating?

I think a big part of the fans bashing Boyle is because they expected more from him. When he scored 21 goals with Prust, it wasn't seen as an outlier. In the role AV has put him in, paired with his own efforts to improve in key areas to be an effective two-way player, he has been outstanding. When he's part of linemates who can help create puck pressure, he's in his element.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IIRC, he said some ignorant **** about not being given a chance and such. In all reality, he just wasn't all that great his first go-around here. I assume those bridges that were burned have been put out. I hope he re-signs with us. I'd love to have him finish his career where it started.

Moore has had a weird career in that he's a good player but has bounced around a lot...hard to tell if he had some baggage that made teams decide to dump him, or if it was just a case of "well he's good but maybe this is a spot we can upgrade".

I hope he re-signs for next year, he's been real good for the Rangers and I was happy when they signed him.

In general it's been a revelation to have a 4th line that can play. Under Tortorella they were basically a collection of goons and maybe one decent player that hardly got any icetime. That this fourth line can take some tough minutes and produce offense/pressure on a pretty consistent basis is a good thing.

Honestly don't see much area for improvement there for next season unless something blindingly obvious falls into the Rangers laps. I'd re-sign those guys.

Oh and also during an Olympic shortened season it's been key to have the personnel to roll four lines enough and not burn out the top players.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Moore has had a weird career in that he's a good player but has bounced around a lot...hard to tell if he had some baggage that made teams decide to dump him, or if it was just a case of "well he's good but maybe this is a spot we can upgrade".

He shafted himself with the Leafs. During his one good season (41 points in 63 games), he was offered an extension and turned it down, thinking he could get a better offer. A better offer never materialized, and he got dumped off to Buffalo.

It is crazy that he's been on 9 teams, though. I don't know if he just has a crappy agent, get greedy, or what. He's definitely good enough to have a home somewhere.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I have absolutely no problem with our bottom six, and we're extremely lucky to have the third line playing so well. Brassard, Zucc, and Poo need to be resigned ASAP. Boyle does exactly what he is supposed to, and gets paid accordingly. When he steps up and has a great game, it shows! I would keep him for three more years, and see where he is when he's 32.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't want to start a thread about this, but this is way more annoyed than I should have been by the Rangers getting ranked #7 and called a cup contender.

How is Brian Boyle the biggest disappointment? How about Rick Nash? He's a big part of the 4th line that's been awesome. They say he's played like a 4th liner or an extra. Well he's been a 4th liner all season! 31 are his advanced stats bad or something?

Disappointment: Brian Boyle's style of play does not seem to have translated for the new coaching staff. Granted, he starts a lot of shifts in the defensive zone, but he's a player who is going to see third-line money in his next contract when he performed like a fourth-liner or an extra this season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713861&navid=nhl:topheads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad