The most dominant 3rd and 4th lines the Rangers have had that I can remember

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers have had a lot of good bottom pairing lines in my lifetime.

The HMO line was terrific at giving the team energy and hitting. The Playstation line (which may have been a 2nd line?) was a pretty decent mix of size and skill...but I really can't remember a better bottom 6 than the team has this year.

Oh, and aside from a technicality with Moore, they are all free agents or trades.

Pouliot - Brassard - MZA

Let's talk about these guys first.

i call them a 3rd line only because, salary wise, they would slot in 3rd. Nash, MSL, Stepan, Brassard, Hagelin, and Kreider/Fasth in any combination will make more than these 3, but as a line they have some of the most unreal chemistry for such completely different players.

It's really pretty to watch. The guys just have the insane ability to be able to find each other ANYWHERE, and make some pretty touch passes and blind passes that work WAY more often than luck could dictate.

In fact you'd have to say that, as a line, they are at times almost TOO pretty...which is really saying something for a 3rd line.

For example, Brassard passing on a clear cut breakaway, or trying to get that cross-crease pass, or even the pass the Zucc made to Pouliot tonight for his goal was almost unnecessary (he had a good shooting chance) but still they found the pretty play. and really, its happening game in and game out.

When these guys are separated, the team is significantly worse off.

Dorsett - Moore - Boyle

Puck possession bonanza with these guys. I have no clue what the advanced stats say, but considering they seem to start most of their shifts on their own side of the blueline, its really incredible how often all you can remember of their shift is how much they owned the puck.

Boyle has done a TREMENDOUS job transitioning to a winger. Holds the puck, uses his size to shield against the other teams, and they cycle better than any line we have BY FAR.

Moore is the engine that makes this line go though. He's gotten his game back in a big way and he's making his linemates better. Everytime theres a 50/50 puck, it seems like he outworks the opposing player to win the battle.

Just a fantastic line.

And I know ppl have hated on Dorsett for a while now, but I stand by what i've said. Hes a MUCH better player than Carcillo. Very good skater, excellent on the boards, a damn good forechecker and he hustles like crazy.

Will he take a dumb penalty every now and then? Yes. You have to live with the bad when you have as much good as you do.

Win a lot of little battles and it adds up to big wins.

If the Rangers could figure out their top 6 as well as they've figured out their bottom 6, they'd be not only a damn good team (which they are), they'd be a Stanley Cup favorite.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Chemistry is one of those magical things a sports team better never mess with. There is no doubt in my mind that Poo and Brass having great years is due to the Norwegian Magician.

The 4th line looks pretty solid as well. That's good we'll be needing every advantage we can get.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I also feel like it's a bit unfair to call Zucc's line the 3rd line, I understand your reasoning but they're our best line.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's even more relieving when you realize that in two straight years, we were basically eliminated by 4th lines.

I still see Gregory Campbell and Ryan Carter in my nightmares.

Not only can we match their 4th lines, we actually have better ones.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
How much will it cost to bring Moore, Boyle, and Pouliot back?

I guess the major concern is that some of those guys might be looking for longer term deals that they could field from other teams..... Ideally we wouldn't want to sign them to anything more than 1-2 year contracts.... Performance wise I'm most comfortable with Moore in terms of what you can expect out of him. Boyle is a hot and cold and Pouliot, while he's been consistent for a good stretch of time, I'm still a bit skeptical of in terms of him being able to replicate this level of play beyond this season with any consistency. But I certainly don't want to see the Rangers go out and sign different 3rd/4th line players via free agency and to questionable contracts. I'd rather see them negotiate with these players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Dorsett's a more rounded player than Carcillo. I don't know if I'd call him better. Carcillo--bigger, stronger, better fighter--very capable on occasion of putting a puck in the net. Dorsett is capable of scoring as well--a little better skater, more rounded game. He can pk. I think he slots into the lineup easier as he's the only real RW of the bunch. As far as the fighting part goes I'd prefer Carcillo. He's closer to Prust--though I remember Prust kicking the crap out of him.

Both of them though have been staying away from penalties that put the team in shorthanded situations---which has been a good thing down the stretch.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Agreed. I don't have the TOI stats in front of me but it wouldn't surprise me if it was reflected as such..

One thing AV deserved good remarks for is how he distributed icetime amongst forwards that are on fire in any given night.

Its one of many factors that have made the Godline into such an effective line, that they are not limited to third line minutes, but rather AV rolling 3 lines, and awarding extra shifts if they are in "the zone"

Vickers8

Dom Moore and Benoit Pouliot additions have made the bottom six the strongest its been in years...hard to call Brass-Pou-Zucc a 3rd line when it is our best line and most nights recently the 4th line has been our 2nd best line...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rangers have had a lot of good bottom pairing lines in my lifetime.

The HMO line was terrific at giving the team energy and hitting. The Playstation line (which may have been a 2nd line?) was a pretty decent mix of size and skill...but I really can't remember a better bottom 6 than the team has this year.

Oh, and aside from a technicality with Moore, they are all free agents or trades.

Pouliot - Brassard - MZA

Let's talk about these guys first.

i call them a 3rd line only because, salary wise, they would slot in 3rd. Nash, MSL, Stepan, Brassard, Hagelin, and Kreider/Fasth in any combination will make more than these 3, but as a line they have some of the most unreal chemistry for such completely different players.

It's really pretty to watch. The guys just have the insane ability to be able to find each other ANYWHERE, and make some pretty touch passes and blind passes that work WAY more often than luck could dictate.

In fact you'd have to say that, as a line, they are at times almost TOO pretty...which is really saying something for a 3rd line.

For example, Brassard passing on a clear cut breakaway, or trying to get that cross-crease pass, or even the pass the Zucc made to Pouliot tonight for his goal was almost unnecessary (he had a good shooting chance) but still they found the pretty play. and really, its happening game in and game out.

When these guys are separated, the team is significantly worse off.

Dorsett - Moore - Boyle

Puck possession bonanza with these guys. I have no clue what the advanced stats say, but considering they seem to start most of their shifts on their own side of the blueline, its really incredible how often all you can remember of their shift is how much they owned the puck.

Boyle has done a TREMENDOUS job transitioning to a winger. Holds the puck, uses his size to shield against the other teams, and they cycle better than any line we have BY FAR.

Moore is the engine that makes this line go though. He's gotten his game back in a big way and he's making his linemates better. Everytime theres a 50/50 puck, it seems like he outworks the opposing player to win the battle.

Just a fantastic line.

And I know ppl have hated on Dorsett for a while now, but I stand by what i've said. Hes a MUCH better player than Carcillo. Very good skater, excellent on the boards, a damn good forechecker and he hustles like crazy.

Will he take a dumb penalty every now and then? Yes. You have to live with the bad when you have as much good as you do.

Win a lot of little battles and it adds up to big wins.

If the Rangers could figure out their top 6 as well as they've figured out their bottom 6, they'd be not only a damn good team (which they are), they'd be a Stanley Cup favorite.

Absolutely spot on post sans the bit about Carcillo and Dorsett. I agree Dorsett may be better but he wasn't motivated to do very much until he saw Carcillo taking his spot from him which speaks to me as a complete lack of motivation.

Other than that... :handclap:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Absolutely spot on post sans the bit about Carcillo and Dorsett. I agree Dorsett may be better but he wasn't motivated to do very much until he saw Carcillo taking his spot from him which speaks to me as a complete lack of motivation.

Other than that... :handclap:

I'm glad we have both, honestly.

Wolfy*

or even the pass the Zucc made to Pouliot tonight for his goal was almost unnecessary (he had a good shooting chance) but still they found the pretty play. and really, its happening game in and game out.

That was all part of Zucc's play, he faked the shot to freeze their goalie and Ds, then a quick pass to Pouliot who could put it in the open net.

I guess that's what you call a smart move ;)

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

this is the part of your post that I disagree with. Sure they'd be a lot better - as would a lot of teams. Favorite? I don't think the Rangers have the top 6 talent to be a favorite no matter how good the bottom 6 are. Can they win it all? Sure - with the goalie being largest reason.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but I think it speaks more to how poor the bottom 6 has been in the past.

Furthermore, this team really doesn't have a 3rd line in the traditional sense - more like 3 2nd lines and a 4th line.

My main worry headed into the playoffs is how versatile this team can be - and one of the main issues is the lack of versatility within the top 3 lines.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If Moore didn't throw a hissy fit about playing time or whatever he did when he was a Ranger, he would've went down as a fan favorite, GOAT post-lockout bottom six NYR player.

richardsequalscup*

The Zucc line is not the third line. It is the 2nd line and has been for a long time. The 4th line stinks IMO. They don't score. They don't fight or hit. They don't agitate. Basically, all they do is try to hold the puck in the other teams end in the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad