The most desolate franchise

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Sens could be in great shape if they actually played to win. 2 picks in the top 10 in one of the deepest drafts in years? Yeah thats a great start. Tons of cap currently? Yeah thats another plus. No long term bad contracts? Yep thats a plus. Not seeing where the sens are in bad shape?

Sharks are ****ed. Lots of long term bad contracts. ALmost no prospects. No 1st this year. No goalie depth or starter. No cap to retool in free agency.

Melnyk is the reason I am always worried as a Sens fan.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Detroit is a long ways away from being anything good. That roster is dog****. They have a couple nice prospects and Larkin is still pretty young but it will take more than that for them to become a contender. Montreal doesn't seem to have much of a future and they're nothing special right now. Sharks have got big big problems.
Detroit has all there picks in the top 3 for all upcoming drafts. They have extra 2nd round and 3rd round picks in this draft and next. They have a ton of cap. They will get a top 5 pick this year. They have a few good core pieces under 26. They have 2 bad contracts that will be gone before the team can contend. They are litterally perfectly built for a rebuild. Their future is one of the brightest in the leagues.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It's the team with this stat line over the last 20 years:

GP. W L OTL T
1497 635 661 154 47

1500 games and 815 losses. 42% win rate over 20 years, and I'm being very generous including the first 5 years of the two decades gets way worse if you do 15 lo .

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Any answer that isn't Buffalo is wrong. Don't have anyone outside of Eichel, Reinhart, and Dahlin. Don't have many good prospects and have mismanaged the ones they do have thus far. What they do have is a ton of bad contracts.
But Buffalo still has two elite franchise players. That's more than teams like Ottawa, Detroit, Minnesota, Anaheim, Arizona, etc. can say. Even with all the heartache they've had in the past, they still have the two most important positions taken care of for at least the next decade.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Melnyk is the reason I am always worried as a Sens fan.
I agree. Thats why i said "actually played to win" He would be the reason they werent. Dude is a f***ing nightmare. With just some smart depth pick ups in free agency and not writing big tickets to aging vets this team could be a contender in 3-5 years. However i have no expectations it wont be rushed and ruined.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
But Buffalo still has two elite franchise players. That's more than teams like Ottawa, Detroit, Minnesota, Anaheim, Arizona, etc. can say. Even with all the heartache they've had in the past, they still have the two most important positions taken care of for at least the next decade.
They have two really bad contracts that aren't going anywhere any time soon. They have all their picks which is great. A lot of cap coming off the books but a lot of spots that need to be filled. Unless they go super conservative in free agency and resigning i don't see them getting out of the fringe bubble team spot any time soon. I just have less faith in their front office then i do i am going to win the lottery, and i dont even play the lottery. Their front office is that bad.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Other than Meier, Labanc, and maybe Couture, I'm not seeing many. I wouldn't touch Karlsson, Burns or Evander Kane's contract with a 10 foot pole.
Couture is getting paid 8m until he is 38. He is already slowing down. In 3 years that contract will be pretty bad and in 5 it will be f***ing awful. He takes any injury to his knees or ankles it could be bad in 3 years. I don't see how thats a tradeable contract.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Couture is getting paid 8m until he is 38. He is already slowing down. In 3 years that contract will be pretty bad and in 5 it will be ****ing awful. He takes any injury to his knees or ankles it could be bad in 3 years. I don't see how thats a tradeable contract.
That's why I said maybe, and that's why I think the Sharks are in worse shape than anyone. They have a ton of money tied up in aging players with a lot of term left.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Detroit has all there picks in the top 3 for all upcoming drafts. They have extra 2nd round and 3rd round picks in this draft and next. They have a ton of cap. They will get a top 5 pick this year. They have a few good core pieces under 26. They have 2 bad contracts that will be gone before the team can contend. They are litterally perfectly built for a rebuild. Their future is one of the brightest in the leagues.

lol yeah super bright future. They're in Buffalo sabres territory from a few years ago but probably an even worse team to start with. And there's no guarantee they even get players with as much upside as Eichel and Dahlin.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Detroit is a long ways away from being anything good. That roster is dog****. They have a couple nice prospects and Larkin is still pretty young but it will take more than that for them to become a contender. Montreal doesn't seem to have much of a future and they're nothing special right now. Sharks have got big big problems.
baseless and wrong. Top 3-5 prospect pool which doesn't even include kotkaniemi and suzuki, but sure, you know best

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montreal.... they are in no mans lands.

Not good enough to be a cup contender, unable to get the guys to make them a cup contender, but also can't rebuild with Price/Weber on the books.
96 pts last year and a pipeline of very good prospects coming up. Yes, they've had injuries this year but to suggest no man's land is ridiculous. They ARE rebuilding without saying it. They have price's replacement and another 11 picks this summer. They'll be fine

Reactions: sharks9

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The sharks have some big name players still though and are very capable of a bounceback season, the send literally have nothing to sell anyone on.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Columbus prospect pool ranked last in the league, we are depleted of picks this year, so not looking too great here in Ohio

Lumbus is a consistent playoff team though. Yeah you have no picks this year, but there is still plenty to build off of.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal and the Sharks seem like a good top 4. All for different reasons. Buffalo could turn it around at any moment, you would think, but they never do, and that sounds like desolation to me.

Ottawa probably has the darkest outlook. You can draft amazing players, hit with all your picks, and your owner/gm just chucks the work out the window, when money needs to be doled out.

Sharks are the Wings of the yesteryear, except no success. Trying to extend something that was never there. Outside of the Leafs teams of the past, I don't think I have seen a team sell so many futures.

Montreal is doomed forever. The ills of that franchise are found in the employees they hire, and why. Archaic as all hell. If any franchise deserves the losing culture, it's the Habs.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
I agree. Thats why i said "actually played to win" He would be the reason they werent. Dude is a ****ing nightmare. With just some smart depth pick ups in free agency and not writing big tickets to aging vets this team could be a contender in 3-5 years. However i have no expectations it wont be rushed and ruined.

Than we sell them all off for pennies On the dollar due to cost cutting.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Buffalo or panthers.

Panthers have probabaly the worst last 20 years to look back on, BUT there is hope going forward with Bob, Barkov, Quinneville, hub, etc. I would expect they make the playoffs at least 50% of the time in the next 4-5 years.

Buffalo however has no hope. Longest active playoff miss streak, and only one true elite player in Barkov, and very few even top-line/pairing quality players to support him. Even if they can pull things together, It seems REALLY unlikely they can top both of florida and Toronto for the third spot in the next few years, and Boston/Tampa are likely uncatchable until age catches up.

Obviously a few good trades and some prospect luck (similar to tampa in the early/mid 2010s) can turn them around, but my vote goes for sabres

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad