The most desolate franchise

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
I am a Sens fan and threw out the fact that I thought they were in really rough shape. One poster said Ottawa is far more than I thought. It made me think, what franchise is in the worst shape? I still think us in Ottawa because we got nothing on the roster and the pipeline is poor. But what other franchises are in the deep freeze?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I am a Sens fan and threw out the fact that I thought they were in really rough shape. One poster said Ottawa is far more than I thought. It made me think, what franchise is in the worst shape? I still think us in Ottawa because we got nothing on the roster and the pipeline is poor. But what other franchises are in the deep freeze?

You guys have lots of high picks this upcoming draft and valuable vets to sell off at the TDL and you have Formenton and Batherson so it's not like your pipeline is completely dry.

I agree with Sharks... their pipeline is bone dry and they've shipped off too many picks.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Don't you have two shots at the lottery this year?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Neutral fan here..

the sens trading a 1st rounder for Duchene was a gamble gone wrong. They were 1 win away from a Stanley cup final and they made a play to further improve the team to take that next step as a true contender, which was the right thing to do. this was at the end of the 2017 season. Being one of the best teams in the NHL after that no one would predict they will do that bad in 2018 they got Tkachuk in 2018, had to give up their 4th pick to Colorado unfortunately, which is bad for the senators, since they were suppose to be a playoff team as per the 2017 season. Josh Norris is looking pretty damn good, but its looking like they might have 2 top 10 picks in 2020, so they have something to cheer for but not until after the 2020 draft.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don’t think it gets much worst than the Sens. Not even talking player/prospect wise. You can draft high level players, you can fire GM’s and coaches, but you can’t fire a shitty cheap owner.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Gonna put on my hipster hat and say Montreal. The team has no identity or direction, and the Bergevin + Molsons combo is perhaps the most generally ineffective and meandering GM + owner combo in the league. I think Bergevin is closer to sleepwalking into an actual plan than coming up with one himself, and the Molsons seem to have confused the 2007-2013 Toronto Maple Leafs with a well run organization.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It really depends on what you are factoring in.

I'll say its Ottawa for a couple of smaller reasons which I'll start with, and then get to the major one. Firstly, the Senators really only have two pieces on the current roster, which is Tkachuk and Chabot. Past that, everything else is pretty replaceable or aging. Guys like Brown and Pageau have impressive numbers given their track record, but they are getting an abundance of ice-time not making their stats particularly efficent. They have some nice prospects in the NHL/AHL bubble-like Batherson, Norris, and Brannstrom, but I wouldn't call either a clear blue-chip to build around. Finally, they have two likely top 10 picks, which need to be converted on, because as pointed out in the first point, they lack core pieces, primarily a 1st and 2nd line center (although, maybe Norris fills one of these roles).

On paper that isn't terrible, you can argue other teams are in worse shape when it comes to that stuff such as Detroit, or a team is capped out with an struggling aging team such as SJ, a team that has had promising starts turn into terrible 2nd halves like Buffalo or a team like Minnesota who lack exciting young core pieces on the roster. At the end of the day, it comes down to the elephent in the room. Which is, Eugene Melnyk. There are bad owners who seem clueless (like the Pegula's, Katz, Aquellini), and then there is the Eugene Melnyk level of dysfunctional ownership. He manages to botch getting a heavily subsidized stadium, he is getting sued from multiple angles for not paying debts, and is just in general has a reputation for being a pretty sleazy person. Would I rank Ottawa last if they got new ownership tomorrow? Probably not. But, given how stubborn Melnyk is, he's going to drive this team to the bottom before he is somehow forced to sell either by going broke or finally doing something to piss the league off enough. Yeah, where teams like Detroit, SJ, and Minnesota are isn't great, but they at least appear to have somewhat competent ownership (especially SJ), and while the Pegula's running of the Sabres has been bad, I don't get the impression if they ever luck into the proper hire for that team that there actions will actively undermine the team (see the Bills and McDermott). Whereas Melnyk's cheapness and interventionist ways are sure to undermine Ottawa at some point.

I do think MTL could be in trouble. They define directionless right now, and as the francophone population continues to diminish, they are just further handicapping themselves by their outdated rules. I mean, Gallant gets fired and half of Habs nation is googling if he can speak French. Now that Briesbois has been promoted, who is the best french-speaking candidate for GM?

Last edited:

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I don’t think it gets much worst than the Sens. Not even talking player/prospect wise. You can draft high level players, you can fire GM’s and coaches, but you can’t fire a ****ty cheap owner.

The owner just refuses to pay for talent. Needs to sell

Ottawa will be fine as their prospects and picks pan out, but an owner who wont keep talent is concerning

Reactions: dukeofjive

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It really depends on what you are factoring in.

I'll say its Ottawa for a couple of smaller reasons which I'll start with, and then get to the major one. Firstly, the Senators really only have two pieces on the current roster, which is Tkachuk and Chabot. Past that, everything else is pretty replaceable or aging. Guys like Brown and Pageau have impressive numbers given their track record, but they are getting an abundance of ice-time not making their stats particularly efficent. They have some nice prospects in the NHL/AHL bubble-like Batherson, Norris, and Brannstrom, but I wouldn't call either a clear blue-chip to build around. Finally, they have two likely top 10 picks, which need to be converted on, because as pointed out in the first point, they lack core pieces, primarily a 1st and 2nd line center (although, maybe Norris fills one of these roles).

On paper that isn't terrible, you can argue other teams are in worse shape when it comes to that stuff such as Detroit, or a team is capped out with an struggling aging team such as SJ, a team that has had promising starts turn into terrible 2nd halves like Buffalo or a team like Minnesota who lack exciting young core pieces on the roster. At the end of the day, it comes down to the elephent in the room. Which is, Eugene Melnyk. There are bad owners who seem clueless (like the Pegula's, Katz, Aquellini), and then there is the Eugene Melnyk level of dysfunctional ownership. He manages to botch getting a heavily subsidized stadium, he is getting sued from multiple angles for not paying debts, and is just in general has a reputation for being a pretty sleazy person. Would I rank Ottawa last if they got new ownership tomorrow? Probably not. But, given how stubbord Melnyk is, he's going to drive this team to the bottom before he is somehow forced to sell either by going broke or finally doing something to piss the league off enough. Yeah, where teams like Detroit, SJ, and Minnesota are isn't great, but they at least appear to have somewhat competent ownership (especially SJ), and while the Pegula's running of the Sabres has been bad, I don't get the impression if they ever luck into the proper hire for that team that there actions will actively undermine the team (see the Bills and McDermott). Whereas Melnyk's cheapness and interventionist ways are sure to undermine Ottawa at some point.

I do think MTL could be in trouble. They define directionless right now, and as the francophone population continues to diminish, they are just further handicapping themselves by their outdated rules. I mean, Gallant gets fired and half of Habs nation is googling if he can speak French. Now that Briesbois has been promoted, who is the best french-speaking candidate for GM?

I mean, having a #1D signed long-term isn't a bad place to start. That's what every rebuilding team dreams about. Player-wise the Sens have a great foundation to build on. You have two stars in Tkachuk and Chabot and a bunch of secondary guys who are promising like Brännström etc, some good pieces on the roster which should fetch them a nice haul at the deadline and then to top it all off they have two likely top10 picks. Not a bad place to be at all. And obviously if they win the lottery with one of those picks and gets Lafreniere and, say, Drysdale with the other pick...they're looking really good.

Of course you can argue Ottawa being in the worst shape due to their owner, but just in terms of the sports side of things there are many teams that are in a much darker place.

Reactions: derriko

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah I agree with most here. I bet it sucks to be a Sharks fan right now, but there's still reason to believe that there's a successful rebuild happening and thus a future. It can't be possible to have that faith if you're Ottawa or Buffalo right now, in particular the former. I don't know how you deal with a situation like that as a fan. Our incompetent years were bad enough, and we didn't have the ownership issues.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, having a #1D signed long-term isn't a bad place to start. That's what every rebuilding team dreams about. Player-wise the Sens have a great foundation to build on. You have two stars in Tkachuk and Chabot and a bunch of secondary guys who are promising like Brännström etc, some good pieces on the roster which should fetch them a nice haul at the deadline and then to top it all off they have two likely top10 picks. Not a bad place to be at all. And obviously if they win the lottery with one of those picks and gets Lafreniere and, say, Drysdale with the other pick...they're looking really good.

Of course you can argue Ottawa being in the worst shape due to their owner, but just in terms of the sports side of things there are many teams that are in a much darker place.
I like Brady (and defended him endlessly leading up to the 2018 draft to stat-watchers), but I'm not sure he's a star in the making. He should be a great complimentary top-line winger. That's a piece with significant value, but I'm not sure that's a star. I also don't really see what at the deadline is going to fetch them a good haul. I'd be surprised if they pull in another first or an A level prospect. They are likely to get picks 2nd round or later at best which are long-shots at actually getting a serviceable NHLer.

I mean, teams are in worse shape long-term just looking at rosters. But, outside of teams like Minnesota, and Detroit, very few teams have as little in their core at the moment. I mean, Buffalo's bad, but they have Eichel and Dahlin. SJ is aging out, and is probably screwed by NTC's but still have valued pieces. LA and Anaheim are probably in worse spots. NJ is in a similar position as Ottawa with only 2 real core pieces in Hischier and Hughes, but they don't have the level of uncertainty around ownership, which just takes Ottawa to a different level.

Reactions: Voight

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I agree with most here. I bet it sucks to be a Sharks fan right now, but there's still reason to believe that there's a successful rebuild happening and thus a future. It can't be possible to have that faith if you're Ottawa or Buffalo right now, in particular the former. I don't know how you deal with a situation like that as a fan. Our incompetent years were bad enough, and we didn't have the ownership issues.
The teachers' pension plan was pretty bad and indifferent. They essentially let Tannenbaum do his thing and he wasn't very good. Rogers/Bell actually had a vision (and significant incentive due to them controlling the distribution of viewership) to turn the MLSE teams around. The Leafs aren't perfect but it is a lot better than the decade of darkness years, and what they have done with the Raptors and TFC is incredible, both becoming among the model franchises in their respective leagues.

While it was before my time. Ballard was Melnyk before Melnyk.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not a very nice thread, especially being so subjective. All teams have assets, with decent scouting any tam can be in the right direction after a couple of drafts.

What it boils down to is Ownership and then down to President and then GM. If they are on the ball a team can be moving in the right direction over night.

I don't want to bash Ottawa but ownership is really setting them apart right now.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Buffalo. No matter what they do there seems to be zero progress in that organization and, naturally, things are getting pretty tense with all their stakeholders.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It's not you, not even close, you got Brady Tkachuk, Thomas Chabot, 2 top 5 picks, 3 1sts and 6 2nds over the next 2 drafts and that's BEFORE you sell this year.

You are in good shape.

The answer is Buffalo 9 years out of the playoffs, VERY little to show for it beyond the top 2 picks they Olofsson in 2014 that's it and he got hurt so we still don't know what he is.

No center depth, no #1 goalie, no forward depth in general.

The answer is Buffalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad