The most desolate franchise

Bond

May 10, 2012
It feels like the Flames to me right now... feels like we are going to get stuck just outside of playoffs for the next few years

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Nope. The article was specifically about teams that essentially might become the next Buffalo Sabres.

That hurts.
I hope The Sabres go on some magical run next season and win The Cup. Or at least, y'know, show a bit of competency. Other teams are as bad but I feel for the fans (however many are left) as it's tough sledding.

Reactions: sabremike

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's amazing to me that the Devils haven't been named once in this thread, yet the Sabres (and others) are mentioned numerous times. I'd trade every player on the Devils' reserve list for Eichel and Dahlin. Hell, I'd consider trading all of those players for either Eichel or Dahlin, individually. I get that the Sabres have been poorly managed and constructed, but at the end of the day, they still have two very young guys that are potential Hall of Famers and I don't exactly throw that designation around lightly.

Having been through a few decades with the Sabres, it is so much worse to be hopeless when you have players like Eichel and Dahlin. The organization tore itself apart to acquire that elusive talent that can only be found at the top of the draft. We now have an elite #1 center and an potentially elite 19 year old defenseman, and we are squandering their abilities. Poor management has surrounded them with complete hacks, and the pipeline is pretty bare other than Dylan Cozens. There is no more tearing down the roster, acquiring draft picks, and rebuilding. The roster imbalance is awful. Ownership, despite their stated mission, have largely been AWOL.

What do we even cheer for? I literally cheer to have Eichel score a bunch of points. If he is happy, maybe he won't demand a trade. I cheer to see Dahlin show development and some sweet dangles.

If I try to watch the actual hockey, I am lost. So much dead weight, so many players in roles they are not meant to play. Marcus Johansson playing 2nd line center, despite being a winger. We paid huge premiums for a bunch of defensemen, and they are scratched, playing their off side, or simply terrible. Jimmy Vesey, Conor Sheary, Vlad Sobotka, Zach Bogosian, Brandor Montour, Colin Miller, Kyle Okposo, even Jeff Skinner...the dead weight is everywhere.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It’s... fine. It just doesn’t really impress me, and that’s including Byfield which is statistically unlikely. The likely pick is 4th and another very good, but not amazing, prospect. If they end up with a team full of Dylan Larkin’s, they’ll cap out as a good bubble team. Until they actually have the rights to a superstar-potential guy, I’m going to have them pretty low on the list. Despite the fact that Buffalo and Edmonton seem to be spinning their wheels, I like the odds of them solving their depth problem before Detroit solves its franchise player problem.

There are also some teams like Ottawa and Minnesota in the running as well. An argument could be made for any of them.

They pretty much have a 50/50 chance at one of Lafrienere/Byfield/Stutzle, all of which I’d classify elite prospects.

I opted to use Byfield as an example as Stutzle has less of a chance making the team immediately.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Montreal.... they are in no mans lands.

Not good enough to be a cup contender, unable to get the guys to make them a cup contender, but also can't rebuild with Price/Weber on the books.

2nd best prospect pool in the league my dude ;)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nope. The article was specifically about teams that essentially might become the next Buffalo Sabres.

I think each of those teams would be ecstatic to have 1 young player on the level of Eichel/Dahlin, much less 2. The Sabres have gone through some god-awful GMs and coaches who've managed to do nothing with that talent, but I still think there's a lot more hope for Buffalo than some other teams.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
I think each of those teams would be ecstatic to have 1 young player on the level of Eichel/Dahlin, much less 2. The Sabres have gone through some god-awful GMs and coaches who've managed to do nothing with that talent, but I still think there's a lot more hope for Buffalo than some other teams.
Well, that's the thing. The Sabres keep burning through GMs and coaches because management is completely inept when it comes to identifying that kind of talent. Unless Sabres ownership can swallow their pride and bring in someone who is actually competent in that regard instead of insisting on being hands-on, the team is likely going nowhere. In the meantime, the team will gradually build a reputation as a GM/coaching graveyard.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I am a Sens fan and threw out the fact that I thought they were in really rough shape. One poster said Ottawa is far more than I thought. It made me think, what franchise is in the worst shape? I still think us in Ottawa because we got nothing on the roster and the pipeline is poor. But what other franchises are in the deep freeze?

After this years draft they are going to have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL, they already do anyway. Problem is they have a cheap owner and even cheaper fans. That’s going to be the issue

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
After this years draft they are going to have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL, they already do anyway. Problem is they have a cheap owner and even cheaper fans. That’s going to be the issue

When is the last time 'high picks' made a franchise better or successful? Pittsburgh? Chicago maybe but they nailed all their late round picks and the owner was crazy. Tampa and Washington have a few high picks.

The same third of the league has been stockpiling top 10 picks for over a decade and not gotten better.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2nd best prospect pool in the league my dude ;)

They have a decent collection of prospects but lets wait and see what they amount too ;)

Arizona. We had like 3 cool months for the first time in a decade and we now suck again.

At least you have the WCF run in 2012, not many teams have managed to make it that far :thumbu:

May have even made the finals if it wasn't for brick wall / unstoppable J Quick that year

Reactions: Fixxer

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Winnipeg's window may be closing. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Vegas will be down there soon. New Jersey.

Seems strange to list the Jets as the potential answer to this question.
Essentially all of their important contracts are signed through 2024.
Young guys like Laine, Ehlers and Connor are still getting better and they have great goaltending.

Lots of work to do to rebuild the D but for the same reason you wouldn't say they are close to being in the best position you also wouldn't say they are close to being in the worst situation.

Heinola and Samberg are great D prospects and the Jets have lots of cap space to bring in some RD help.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The poster you quoted is a known Devils hater, so take his word with a grain of salt.
How about you reply to any point I made instead of making things up?

The Devils had great teams 15+ years ago, what does that have to do with anything I said or the premise of this entire thread? Lou should've rebuilt after huge losses of irreplaceable talent after the lockout, but instead he doubled down and screwed them for a long time. It seems The Athletic writers agree with my viewpoint, but they must be known Devils haters, too.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
When is the last time 'high picks' made a franchise better or successful? Pittsburgh? Chicago maybe but they nailed all their late round picks and the owner was crazy. Tampa and Washington have a few high picks.

The same third of the league has been stockpiling top 10 picks for over a decade and not gotten better.

Do you follow your team or just have Vancouver in your name because....you best forward and Dmen are who now? Washington, Toronto, Vancouver, Pitts, Edmonton,Florida,Chi have all been made better with “high picks”
I am having problems finding teams that are not getting better from high picks and even if there are a couple they are the exception. Only a couple teams have been stockpiling picks and not getting better.
Ottawa also has many later picks that are going to make the NHL
Norris,Drake,Brannstrom,Formenton so they are not going to be a one draft pick makes it or breaks it type and they don’t seem to be missing on later picks.
With 3 first rounders(probably all top ten)and six second rounders in the next two years, one or two more after trade deadline day, And guys like Brown,Pinto,Thomson and Bernard-Docker knocking on the door they will be just fine thank you.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Do you follow your team or just have Vancouver in your name because....you best forward and Dmen are who now? Washington, Toronto, Vancouver, Pitts, Edmonton,Florida,Chi have all been made better with “high picks”
I am having problems finding teams that are not getting better from high picks and even if there are a couple they are the exception. Only a couple teams have been stockpiling picks and not getting better.
Ottawa also has many later picks that are going to make the NHL
Norris,Drake,Brannstrom,Formenton so they are not going to be a one draft pick makes it or breaks it type and they don’t seem to be missing on later picks.
With 3 first rounders(probably all top ten)and six second rounders in the next two years, one or two more after trade deadline day, And guys like Brown,Pinto,Thomson and Bernard-Docker knocking on the door they will be just fine thank you.

As what I assume is a fellow Sens fan, I am always worried about our Value Village owner who likes to save money and forcing the GM's hand is selling our best players for pennies on the dollar.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Isn't it refreshing, 9 pages and no mention of Islanders.

Not long ago they would have been the easy winner.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I get that it’s a bummer that Buffalo isn’t doing more now that Eichel is in his prime but the Sabres haven’t wasted Dahlin. He isn’t a top pair defenseman yet, he’s still only 19 years old. The “Buffalo drafted a #1C and #1D and they still can’t win” narrative is nonsense because Dahlin needs time to grow into dominant force playing 23-5 minutes a game. Karlsson won a Norris at 21 and Hedman didn’t even start getting votes for the award until he was 23. People have to be more realistic about a teenage defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->