The Montreal Pyrrhics get a victory over NYR

Nynja*

I mean, you can only expect so much from a rookie being told to carry the torch in place of the reigning league MVP. I think that if, overall, Condon can be a league average goalie while Price is injured, that we should be happy.

Despite the fact that he stumbled a bit in his last two starts, I think that how well he played earlier on more than balances out those tough outings. I do think that fans used to seeing Price in the net for most games might have to get used to having a more 'average' goalie for the time being, which can often mean a mix of good, bad, and great performances.

I dont think Condon was yet accustomed to the NHL heavy workload at that point. He looked good the first couple games, and started to fall apart. I'm pretty sure the AHL workload is significantly less, in terms of games played, and practice time. In the NHL, you get 4 days off a month (according to the CBA), meaning every day is practice or morning skate + game. Thats a massive jump in work load.

I think (hope) Condon will be treated in a 1A/B role this time until Price returns.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I mean, you can only expect so much from a rookie being told to carry the torch in place of the reigning league MVP. I think that if, overall, Condon can be a league average goalie while Price is injured, that we should be happy.

Despite the fact that he stumbled a bit in his last two starts, I think that how well he played earlier on more than balances out those tough outings. I do think that fans used to seeing Price in the net for most games might have to get used to having a more 'average' goalie for the time being, which can often mean a mix of good, bad, and great performances.

Totally agree that's why all I m hoping for really is that he improves, even if slowly one thing at the time
I m just hoping we see a trend of him going up and not down , if he does we 'll be in good shape

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I dont think Condon was yet accustomed to the NHL heavy workload at that point. He looked good the first couple games, and started to fall apart. I'm pretty sure the AHL workload is significantly less, in terms of games played, and practice time. In the NHL, you get 4 days off a month (according to the CBA), meaning every day is practice or morning skate + game. Thats a massive jump in work load.

I think (hope) Condon will be treated in a 1A/B role this time until Price returns.

The 4 days thing afaik is a league minimum , I m pretty sure the Habs get a lot more than that, depends how they played and their schedule but they usually get about 2 days a week off, sometimes there's optional skates too...
But I do agree that the massive workload he had is probably what caused his "not so good" play his last few games before Price returned.
I think he even hints about that in an interview I read I think today where he was saying that that constant attention to detail night after night and trying to be perfect is what was the hardest and obviously he didn't had to deal with that as much before. Lots of mental fatigue.

Nynja*

We both agree though that the overall workload is significantly higher in the NHL than the AHL.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Isn't it great that fighting is all but non existent? The days of thugs are just about gone....

Not only are players not trying to punch each other's helmets, they're generally more respectful towards their safety. Remember 5 years ago? Every other game seemed to have a vicious boarding play, headhunting or a goon looking to knock someone out.

It's like they figured out they're all humans or something.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Carey Price is a phenom goalie, expecting Condon to come in at that level in his first year in the NHL is unrealistic, expecting him to keep the team in the game I can live with ... But this is like asking Chris Thomas to come in for Pacioretty, he's gonna look good in some games, but he's no patches ...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Carey Price is a phenom goalie, expecting Condon to come in at that level in his first year in the NHL is unrealistic, expecting him to keep the team in the game I can live with ... But this is like asking Chris Thomas to come in for Pacioretty, he's gonna look good in some games, but he's no patches ...

Agreed.
Condon has done great work considering this is his first year and he went right into the fire. I think he will continue to do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad