The MLD 2020 Thread

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Being informed the clock hasn’t started, I’m going to pick at coffee time when I have a harder look. Hope everyone has a good night.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’ll take a 2x 50-goal scorer (and a season of 48) and a guy who even if his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired is a pretty solid MLD level scorer on a top line, especially being taken after a 960-player ATD:

C, Pierre Larouche

517bf37Cn3L._AC_.jpg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
kruezer is up for two picks now.

Speaking of him, he picked Khomutov's pivot in the ATD.

The 400+ pick gap is absurd. Heck, I have always thought Khomutov the more valuable of the two given his electric skating and less-deep position compared to the undersized center.

589 Bukov
996 Khomutov

One went early than he should have, one later than he should have: that much is clear.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Only four significant seasons as a starter, though three of them were great.

Certainly a guy who could have been selected as an ATD backup and no one would have batted an eye.

Crozier was going to be my choice for backup in the ATD until I took a second look at Bishop's career.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I should give this a read. It looks like a fairly quick one. It’s actually one of the rarer books in my collection. There are only 3-4 total copies for sale on the entire internet by the looks of it and the cheapest I’m seeing is $135, which is ridiculous. It actually took me quite a few years to track down.

6C242A31-F6CE-40C7-927B-2CDDB743173D.jpeg

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Crozier was going to be my choice for backup in the ATD until I took a second look at Bishop's career.

There are a few goalies after the completion of the ATD drafting that I had pegged as early pick starters in a potential MLD. Crozier was right at the top. There was another I really like as well. I expect him to go fairly soon. At least the next one or two goalies drafted, whenever that may be.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There are indeed worthy pre-NHL, non-pro amateur HHOF greats worthy of selection in an ATD (and MLD) in some capacity.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine selects Tom Paton, the first great goaltender in hockey history, winning the first ever Stanley Cup in 1893, nine years after he had won hockey's first award, medaled in 1885 when he backstopped the winning team in the Montreal Winter Carnival, posting three shutouts in four games, including one in the final. He again won the carnival championship two years later, then the championship of the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada (AHAC) in 1888, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1892 and 1893. While it was common for hockey players to retire early - Mike Grant at age 28 and Graham Drinkwater at 24 as two examples of many - Paton actually began goaltending at age 30 and had a successful nine-year career (six years with the lowest goals against average in all of organized hockey), ending with a 7-1 record and the Stanley Cup in 1893. Ultimate Hockey says Paton deserved the Vezina in 1888, 1889, 1890, 1891 and 1893 (they didn't cover pre-1887) and that he deserved the Hart in 1889 as the best player in all of organized hockey.

No all-time draft should ignore the Stanley Cup's first hero.

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Sorry to keep people waiting (always seem to get the weekend overnight clock lol)

I'll pick Robert Lang and Eric Brewer

I'm one of the few Wings fans who actually liked Lang during his time in Detroit (well the hate seemed to only come from fans who were online I guess). What a combination of size and talent, and yes he was lazy, but he was so smart about it so it rarely was an issue except optics. Only knock on his game (aside from effort) was his skating but it honestly looked worse than it was, because of his gumpy stride and his impeccable positioning that really didn't necessitate skating as much. You would look at him and think he was a defensive liability by his play but he never really got burned, he was always in the right place, and his anticipation and positioning made him quite a good penalty killer (very similar to Bernie Nicholls). Really high hockey sense, basically superstar level. Lang also had an excellent shot selection but was a throwback to Europeans in the NHL from the eighties in that he didn't use it as much as he should. Didn't always play physically as he could have either, but he was strong and when he got hit he seemed to get going more.

I remember once during an intermission interview he was asked about a slump he was in and he just smiled and said something to the effect that you can't beat yourself up too much about it. The slump ended that game lol...

I have a nice game used/game stock/autographed stick collection going including signed game used sticks of Fedorov (in his rookie season?) and Yzerman's (first) 60th goal stick, but my favorite stick is the first one I got. Robert Lang's from the first season post lockout. Also my first experience with a composite stick lol I used wood sticks and then an aluminum one before I stopped playing.

sticks.png

Great things were expected of Brewer when drafted as a good skating big and tough defenseman but he never really translated the offensive part of the game he had in juniors to the NHL. He was still a very good defensive defenseman and a punishing physical presence during his career though.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Another funny Robert Lang story: after his last season in the NHL he was asked about playing again and said he had contract offers and all but that it wasn't worth it for him with his kids in school and added a bit of commentary on the speed/youth movement of the NHL... "I really have no desire to watch guys who can’t tie my shoe laces from the bench" lol!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad