The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Open to suggestions for Cup-winning coaches who are available now?

jacqueslemaire.jpg

THEALLKNOWING*

Deep and talented on paper. But they've been super top heavy in reality. Top line scoring two-thirds of the goals. That's a problem. Mike Yeo's problem? Not yet.

BTW, he's trying new lines again. Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion?

Good. If significant improvement not seen in the very short-term, I would be trying to get rid of a lot of the dead-wood, to make room for Zucker and Larsson to get experience, one of the two Houston goalies as well. I would rather have those players developing now or at least see what they can do this year if this season is a bust, rather than starting from the beginning with them next year. A several game call-up is not going to be much of a sample, unless you happen to be named Jonas Brodin.

If that is the route taken, put an offer in front of both NTC's Backstrom and Cullen, that provides them an opportunity to play with a contender this year AND sign again next year, I bet they would wave the NTC. PMB & Seto, get what you can. Perhaps toss in Cal C if the offer is right, as I believe his trade value is higher than likely warranted. Funny how people sometime say trade Harding. Those who believe so need to realize, he has zero trade value, zero. His career willl end with the Wild.

I have about had it with Heatley. Bring back Bruno at 40 years old, and you would get the same thing. For less of a cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

THEALLKNOWING*

Open to suggestions for Cup-winning coaches who are available now? Crawford or Keenan then?

I may be wrong, but I think Scotty Bowman's won a few. He is still alive, and who knows, may be available.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
It's Yeo's fault that we had so much turnover. He practically ran core players like Nick Johnson, Erik Christiansen, and Warren Peters out of town.

And Fletcher fills one hole just to open up another. I mean, he signs Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, but then he lets Jed Ortmeyer and Mike Lundin just WALK FOR NOTHING???

This was the nail in the coffin for me. He had such potential but Yeo and Fletch seemed just pass over him:sarcasm:

Let's not forget MN native Mike Lundin - Got completely railroaded by that ******* Yeo, such a tool;)

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
We have to find a way to get points on the fricken road. It kills me to see us going to two areas that shockingly have teams (Phoenix is unreal, that situation) and we can't get points at either place. I can't stand this. We have to find a way to get points on the road. Not to mention how huge tomorrow nights game is at home.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Team shots per game essentially same as last year. Other team takes more shots per game than the Wild like last year. Power play and penalty kill percentages essentially the same as last year. Easily more talent than last year. Same coaches, hmmm.

You make some valid points here... It's also worth noting that after THIS many games of play...hehe, come on, really?! 60 games of the same crap, no significant change for the better, ok. 9 games after no preseason, a lockout for half the year, no training camp, and a hell of a lot of turnover since the end of last year, what the hell do we expect.

You know that Chicago team that's rocking everyone, or even the Ducks for that matter, yeah, mostly the same team for a few years. Hmmmm...

You're a season ticket holder, I would have thought you would have noticed all these changes first hand.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
If the Wild miss the playoffs, especially if they remain healthy and it's not a "by one point" type thing, I would be interested to see who is out there to potentially replace Yeo.

Name any coaches, right now, who are proven guys sitting on the sidelines? Because I'm assuming you don't want another first-time head coach?

Ron Wilson? Mark Crawford? Craig MacTavish? Jacques Martin? Maybe go old school with Pat Quinn? Or Iron Mike Keenan?

Iiiiicccccckkkkkkk......

The idea of any of them gives me the cold sweats...

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
I'm sorry, did the Wild miss the playoffs already?

Your patience started to go when Doug Risebrough mismanaged the team...so you're holding that against Chuck Fletcher's second coaching hire?

Parise and Suter were a START. Two players don't put you in the playoffs. We need some prospects to step up their game and some of the other players on the team to step up. A few guys have done that but not enough.

Did you see when Fletcher and Yeo called up Charlie Coyle without any injuries? They sent a message to players like Granlund and Setoguchi? They are literally trying different things nearly every game to push this team out of a little dip in the road.

Maybe in a full season, not a half season. Firing a coach doesn't really show the fan base that you have much confidence in what you're doing. If Yeo goes, Fletcher is going with him, and it's not happening in friggin February.

TSK, you want to run Koivu out of town? Would you care to look up THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE MINNESOTA WILD and tell me any centers that have even come CLOSE to his production?

Here, I'll do it for you.

Here are the top season by Wild centers:

Koivu - 71 points - 2009-10
Koivu - 67 points - 2008-09
Koivu - 62 points - 2010-11
Koivu - 54 points - 2006-07
Brodziak - 44 points - 2011-12
White - 44 points - 2006-07
Koivu - 44 points - 2011-12

Mikko Koivu has the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and tied for 5th best seasons among centers IN WILD FRANCHISE HISTORY. That 5th place finish? That was last year, when he played 55 games, and that still tied the next highest mark, Brodziak, last year, playing #1 center minutes with Heatley.

Still want to run him out of town? Turn it over to Cullen?

When did I say they were going to fire Yeo in February? No where. However I did say the case is building against him which it really is. If this team doesn't make the playoffs this year; I could see this team dumping Yeo. As for Fletcher; the prospect situation has bought him a little more time I think, but otherwise you're right he'd probably be tossed too.

I'll be honest, I don't blame Yeo for a lot of this team's problems, but I've noticed in some of his press conferences he hasn't been as up front as I hoped he'd be. Richards got more evasive as the team continued to be mediocre and downright vague by the end; its not a good sign to say the least.

THEALLKNOWING*

You make some valid points here... It's also worth noting that after THIS many games of play...hehe, come on, really?! 60 games of the same crap, no significant change for the better, ok. 9 games after no preseason, a lockout for half the year, no training camp, and a hell of a lot of turnover since the end of last year, what the hell do we expect.

You know that Chicago team that's rocking everyone, or even the Ducks for that matter, yeah, mostly the same team for a few years. Hmmmm...

You're a season ticket holder, I would have thought you would have noticed all these changes first hand.

Every team dealing with the same things at the start of the season, the Wild are no different. That excuse has no validity whatsoever, just an excuse. Particularly with the talent that has been added.

Also, Yeo has been at the helm for one year already. In case I missed it as a STH, or watching on TV, seems like ZP is fitting in quite well with his new center.

Take this figure. $4,825. Multiple that figure by 12. What do you get? Heightened expectations.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We lost two games in a row and now we've got people calling for Yeo to be fired and Koivu stripped of the captaincy and/or traded.

Should we just go the trifecta and start the "Fire Chuck Fletcher" thread now?

That's why I think this thread should be closed. There is no reason to fire Yeo or trade Koivu. That's just idiotic and just another knee-jerk reaction.

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
I don't think he should be fired, but still, I'm not 100% pleased with the guy. He promised that the team would play more of an offensive game, but I'm not seeing it. Same old **** that it used to be...

And then. These "messages" that are sent to underperforming players. Isn't there an easier way? Like screaming at their faces "WAKE THE ****** UP OR YOU'RE GOING TO HOUSTON!!" I just don't get it. Is he afraid of talking to the players?!?! Hope not...

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
For those that think this is an over reaction. What do you see as an expectation for the Wild? We have been in wait mode ever since we refused to trade for anyone when we won the conference.

This is not Yeo's first year. He had a terrible year last year. Third worst in Wild history. Now .500 hockey will not get you in the play offs.

We have too good a team to declare this a year a we can just let things play out. It is early. IMHO it is not to early to start thinking about the future.

Koivu is great btw.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I'm not saying fire Yeo, but is anyone really surprised some people are? The way this team has looked this year, it's a no brainer that the Coach is going to start taking some flack.

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
I'm not saying fire Yeo, but is anyone really surprised some people are? The way this team has looked this year, it's a no brainer that the Coach is going to start taking some flack.
I agree. What has Yeo done so well that it's forbidden to judge him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If it was consistently bad, then maybe the coaching should be taking some heat, but it hasn't been.

Good first 2 games.
Nashville... ok.
St. Louis... meh
Columbus... great start, poor finish
Chicago... pretty good game
Anaheim... terrible
Phoenix... good

Maybe it's just who we are.

My biggest gripe for Yeo is the 5 lefties on the PP, and has been since the scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad