The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
McDavid is ahead until Matthews a) wins some hardware and b) has 100+ points. We have to be fair to McDavid, who has been otherworldly and should be regarded as such.

I still believe Matthews can reach that level. I think he hasn't yet in large part because his team has held him back on icetime the first two years of his career, but we'll see.

he won't score 100 goals obviously, but I think 50 was a reasonable guess even before the hot start. Now that he's got top billing on the powerplay the assists will climb as well.

Reactions: nobody

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Baring injury 50 goals this year by awesome Austin seems like a safe bet.

Looks like Auston is going to be a serious contender for the Rocket race this year.

murman

Oct 12, 2018
Austin is off to a great start but look at his numbers closer. His shooting percentage is over 50% the high teens is a great % for the season last year he was % 18, at that rate he would only have scored 3 goals this year. Also he averaged just over 3 shots a game last year. This year he is down to 2 shots per game. So dont be surprised when he slows down alot.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Austin is off to a great start but look at his numbers closer. His shooting percentage is over 50% the high teens is a great % for the season last year he was % 18, at that rate he would only have scored 3 goals this year. Also he averaged just over 3 shots a game last year. This year he is down to 2 shots per game. So dont be surprised when he slows down alot.

obviously no on thinks he is going to score 150+ goals this season. Even once his numbers return to normal he will still hit 50 goals though

Reactions: authentic

murman

Oct 12, 2018
Yes for sure if he stays healthy and plays 82 games low 50s in goals and one of the best 2 way players in the game. We have a very special player in aust0n :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The way Matthews is dominating the NHL this year it looks like he is seeking the McDavid contract and wants to use Connor as his comparable going forward.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Crosby signed for 8.7 when he was worth more. Maybe Matthews is playful ?

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto

Welcome to HF. Your first 'like' by me!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Really? I totally thought he was going to score 150 goals this year.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Where are you getting the 2 shots per game?

Shots in each game so far,

MTL - 3
OTT - 4
CHI - 3
DAL - 4
DET - 3

I'd also argue you will get more shots with a lower shooting percent due to rebounds and the play continuing.

Reactions: hockeynorth

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
here's what I said about Matthews in March of 2018

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/142511295/

Matthews is the best player in the NHL in my opinion...

Just wait till he gets a better LW... he'll start putting up 60+ goal seasons...

Now, at some point when Hyman gets off of Matthew's wing and Matthews explodes offensively, all the Babcock supporters will justify the decision saying that Matthews just happened to improve right at the time when the lines were switched... or that this was Babcock's plan all along to lower his contract value or teach him to play defense, or whatever. But of course, you people make none of those arguments now. You people argue things like "it's a great line, let's not mess with a good thing"... "Hyman is the perfect winger for Matthews because he digs pucks out, etc.".

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am so triggered at how the media just wants to tear Auston Matthews away from Toronto. Just now on Prime Time Sports they were having a roundtable discussing a potential offersheet from Arizona and how he can turn that franchise around. f*** off, just f*** off.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am so triggered at how the media just wants to tear Auston Matthews away from Toronto. Just now on Prime Time Sports they were having a roundtable discussing a potential offersheet from Arizona and how he can turn that franchise. **** off, just **** off.

Again, it’s a joke. Offersheet are a paper tiger, a player hasn’t signed one since 2013.

A good reason why most analysis we hear in the media is a joke

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Another quote of mine from March 2018

At least other combinations have been tried. Matthews has literally never started a game in the NHL without Hyman on his left wing I'm pretty sure. And it's so obvious that it's not working well. You people don't seem to understand how special of a player Matthews is. Because if you did know how good he really was, you would realize how much he is being held back by Hyman. You would know that he is capable of putting up so many more goals if he had someone other than Hyman as his left wing. You point to the stats and claim that it's still a successful line... ya, it's still successful... but with a better left wing, it would be the best line in the NHL. Babcock is forcing Matthews and Nylander to play short handed every shift... that's why their numbers aren't at the top of the league where they should be.

Reactions: ToMaLe

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Another quote of mine from March 2018

It'll be better to know how much of a difference Marleau makes on that line once Nylander actually returns. Otherwise it's grasping a bit to bash Babcock and Hyman being on his line.

Can't discount the new PP set up as part of the reason why his numbers have taken a jump.

Marleau hasn't wowed me with Matthews, but he hasn't looked bad either. Getting Ennis off of his line was paramount, and Kappy's been a solid replacement.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Love how other fanbases are trying so hard to spin Matthews' success into a negative :laugh:

It's not a stretch to say that he could have the greatest individual season in Leafs history

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Love how other fanbases are trying so hard to spin Matthews' success into a negative :laugh:

It's not a stretch to say that he could have the greatest individual season in Leafs history

Matthews now has a single thread dedicated to him, so apparently even if Matthews does something special it'll go into that thread. All because of the whining from Leaf haters, who could simply ignore threads that trigger them.

Let's see if other players get only 1 thread to discuss them as well.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Posts like this are funny. Do you mean to tell me everyone has 2-5-10 game stretches where their shooting percentage is abnormally high? Do you know who else is the only other player in recent memory to score 9 goals in 5 games? Alex Ovechkin.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Matthews shot must be getting into goalies heads now. It's pretty incredible how hard it is, a goalie can be square to it, poised and ready, yet still have a really tough time stopping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad