Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
DpBS9UcUcAA7xtV.jpg

Love it

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Not gonna lie, this is kinda cringy[/QUOT
I said in a main forum thread about a month before camp that that Matthews and Tavares may hit 50 goals this season, i was trolled and laughed at by some certain Leaf fans, im not going to say who, but the typical i never played/coached but know more than the pro's crowd ... lol
  • Matthews 3 gp ~ 5 goals
  • Tavares 3 gp ~ 4 goals
dunno if Ernie or that knob up past parry sound will be triggered by this but always express your own opinions on here!

95 percent of matthews hate on the mains are insecure edm fans and fin jets fans. Edmonton fans know 1 connor doesent want to be there and their management forcing the C and ruining the team are ruining connor and wasting his potential and 2 the difference between connor and Auston is not as much as they want. 40 goal rookie is generational.

The fin fans hate him because he stole 1 from their boys. Simple simon if you ask me, easy, easy read!!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
SIMMONS: Like all the great ones, Maple Leafs’ Auston Matthews is inventing a new way to play the game
Auston Matthews isn’t easily defined in his third NHL season, but he’s reaching the place that makes the great ones different. He does so many different things well. There is a little bit of Lemieux in him, the way he likes to burst through the neutral zone and use his size and reach and strength.

There is a little bit of Brett Hull in him, and maybe a touch of Mike Bossy. How he shoots the puck, quickly, and from places other players can’t find. The angles. The lining up of the defending players. The quickness of delivery.

Like Gretzky, like Lemieux, like Phil Esposito, they all scored a ton of goals — Gretzky’s were so much finesse, Lemieux’s were sheer beauty and power and art, Esposito was never a painter, he was a pragmatic goal scorer, someone who could use his size and shape and width and hands to score.

His game wasn’t at all like Matthews’ is now, except they both had the knack.

With opportunities come goals. Seven in four games this season, in this third NHL season for young Matthews, after a disappointing seven-game series against Boston last May, after a summer of monster work on his game.

This Matthews is bigger, stronger, faster, more determined, more confident, more understanding of what he can and can’t do than he was in his first two years. We haven’t seen the best of him yet: That happens over time.

Yet he leads all of hockey with seven goals, the most difficult player in the NHL to control until Connor McDavid, who plays a completely different style in Edmonton, kicks into gear.

Reactions: authentic

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid: Which player would you rather have? - Sportsnet.ca
“For me, the skating is … he’s the best skater to ever play,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said on Hockey Central at Noon. “I will give Connor McDavid the edge on skating.”

It’s hard to argue that. McDavid is the player to beat at the Fastest Skater Competition when all-star weekend rolls around. But Matthews has his own advantages.

“We give (Matthews) the shot, do we not?” Kypreos asked.

The panel discussed giving McDavid the edge in playmaking ability, but that Matthews is the better 200-foot player. Here’s a look at some comparison stats over the past two seasons (2016-17, 2017-18).

Since these two will likely never be traded for one another, this question is even more interesting when you extend it to contract valuations. McDavid is in the first year of a deal paying him $12.5 million against the cap, while Matthews will be an RFA next summer and needs a new deal.

Assuming Matthews comes in over John Tavares’ $11 million, can there be a case for Matthews to make the same as McDavid? Could he come in even higher than McDavid considering the salary cap could rise above $80 million next season?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's still McDavid. Look, Matthews is my favourite kind of player. A hulking center with an out-of-this-world shot, tremendous strength, very good skating. In fact, he doesn't have any weaknesses. But McDavid can do whatever he wants on the ice. He's the best skater in the league, he can score at a high rate, he has eyes all around his head. He's the best player in the world.

That said, there's nothing wrong with having Matthews. He could very well be the second best in the world, and he has the potential to win a couple scoring titles. I'm happy with the Toronto guy.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
How can we?

Matthews: yo im the best on the planet
Leafs: u rite

His contract is the easiest. Dont dick around, offer him 12 he should take it. If he doesnt take it, I guess he's expecting to win by passing it to AHL promotions.

Reactions: Menzinger

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
You hand Matthews a blank cheque. The Leafs are going to have no leverage after he scores 70 this year.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's an absolute joke that Babcock made Marleau an assitant captain. He's closer to a healthy scratch than a team leader.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
What's scary is he doesn't even have his partner in crime Andrew Altelius.

Yet, he's still the best in the league right now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
broke a Gretzky record tonight as well for youngest player ever with multiple points in each of his team's first 5 games. not exactly as impressive as some of his other records, but pretty nice to have

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
So lets be honest here, before the consensus seemed to be 10 million for Matthews.

If he scores 50+ and wins the Rocket and has a 55 G, 35 A, 90 point season does he get McDavid level 12.5 million salary or does it go as high at matching Tavares at 11?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So lets be honest here, before the consensus seemed to be 10 million for Matthews.

If he scores 50+ and wins the Rocket and has a 55 G, 35 A, 90 point season does he get McDavid level 12.5 million salary or does it go as high at matching Tavares at 11?

It's all up to him. We're gonna be at his mercy come contract time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

his contract isn't even remotely important. whatever it is, he'll be more than worth it. it'll probably be in the 11-12 million range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->