The Microcosm of Hemsky

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
IMO you deal him, get what you can and live with a top 6 of:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Get bigger/tougher in the bottom 6 in the offseason and things start looking a whole lot better for this team going forward.

Some nice, tough, fast and hard hitting guys who can force the play down ice would really make a huge difference for sure. Having some big guys that will cycle and can play more effective minutes than our current bottom six and can also play a good back check are glaring holes right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Totally agree, we would still show immaturity at times which would result in more poor puck management and defensive lapses that would be blamed on coaching, but an experienced bottom 6 and defense would shelter the coach, fans and players from the mounted frustration we are all feeling.

This was entirely our management's approach to rebuilding. They thought they would add pieces when the kids became superstars. :help:

My question is this, are they actively trying to get those players now or are we still in the "accumulating talent via the draft" phase? IMO it's clear that we need to start upgrading our vets and to be fair we have dealt picks twice this year to acquire veteran help, first with Fistric and then with Brown. The problem is that we are entering the territory where we need to be dealing 2nd round picks or potentially future 1st round picks to get these types of players. We currently have a pair of 2nd rounders at our disposal and if we move Hemsky for a 1st or a pair of 2nd's like the Murray deal, that would give us more assets at the draft to move for help now. IMO Stu has had enough of a chance to shape this club for the most part, keep this years 1st and maybe one 2nd and look at dealing the other 2nd and our 2014 1st for help.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some nice, tough, fast and hard hitting guys who can force the play down ice would really make a huge difference for sure. Having some big guys that will cycle and can play more effective minutes than our current bottom six and can also play a good back check are glaring holes right now.

Yup, guys that would engage the Blues like they engaged us would be nice. Not just guys that are willing, but guys that are willing and able to rattle the boards, force turnovers, and raise a little hell in the blue paint.

Tree444

Sep 11, 2008
Wow nice rant. I'm not even sure I want to reply...but here goes.

First of all I'm not sure why you need a whole thread for this. Secondly if you are expecting people to read your diatribe you should consider formatting. Add a few new lines....or maybe use bullet points for your key items.

Advanced stats show time and time again that Hemsky is moving the puck in the right direction. The triple H line has been playing against the heavies lately and outpeforming them. They couldn't do that if Hemsky was dragging his ass.

So far this year Hemsky is fourth in shots on goal and second in goals scored, despite less time on ice than Gagner, RNH, Hall, Eberle and Horcoff.

The whole team is averse to scrums in front of the net so it seems kind of silly to point out one player for it. That everyone is following his lead is a little surprising considering he's not the Captain. Maybe Horcoff should instead be to blame for a tendency to flyby.

Yes Mike Brown is scrappy but he's a sieve at even strength. I'd say he makes as many errors as Hemsky does, in far less ice-time.

I can understand the frustration at Hemsky's errors. When he makes them they're often glaring. That's often the case with highly skilled players. They're trying to make highly skilled plays at high speeds and the margin for error is slim. How many times have we seen hall go 1 on 1 with a defender and try that same move only to see the puck going back the other way? How often does Eberle turn the puck over trying to go around a defender? But overall these players are contributing to offence despite the glaring errors.

It may be that in order for the Oilers to improve they will have to move a player like Hemsky. But he's not part of the problem.

Well this is about all that's needed to reply to this thread:yo:.
Oddly enough, it seems to me that Hemsky's one of the few veterans on this team that even gives a crap on many nights.
I've seen Jones and Belanger shy away from enough hits to make me question their health and commitment. I've watched Brown dissappear over the last few games only to show up in a 3-0 and a) take a Sergei Kostitsyn style change while the pucks at center ice and then b) take the most useless fight against on a 3-0 lead. Where was this last week?

There are many, many things wrong with the Edmonton Oilers. But I swear to you, the problems do not start with Ales Hemsky. Not by a long shot.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Well this is about all that's needed to reply to this thread:yo:.
Oddly enough, it seems to me that Hemsky's one of the few veterans on this team that even gives a crap on many nights.
I've seen Jones and Belanger shy away from enough hits to make me question their health and commitment. I've watched Brown dissappear over the last few games only to show up in a 3-0 and a) take a Sergei Kostitsyn style change while the pucks at center ice and then b) take the most useless fight against on a 3-0 lead. Where was this last week?

There are many, many things wrong with the Edmonton Oilers. But I swear to you, the problems do not start with Ales Hemsky. Not by a long shot.

So you justify Hemskys existence on this team by saying he is better then a fourth line center, a winger with one eye and a fighter...congratulations :handclap: I'm sold.:sarcasm:

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Hemsky is what? The only vet on F that is actually doing anything? Eberle, RNH, and Hall were expected to carry most of the offense this season but two of them are playing like dog ****.

He's playing fine. Some people just expect way too much from the guy.

Gagner?

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Ugh...

Hemsky's been very good this year. He's not the problem. That said, moving him could bring back the assets this team needs to fix the problems that do exist.

Honestly, it irks me that some of you are dumping on this guy so much. Sure, he had a sub-par season last year and has been injury prone, but this guy's legit when he's healthy and he's looking fit right now.

If you ignore last year and go back to 2005, he's been a 75-point player over pro-rated 82-game seasons. 331 points in 360 games. During this time, he's been the only guy who's been able to get Oilers fans out of their seats on a regular basis. And, even with the young core stepping in, he continues to generate excitement for the fans. Personally, I'm really thankful we've had Hemsky for so long and when he does get moved, I'll be a little sad even if it is for the better.

PS. OP, do yourself and everyone else a favour: Paragraphs. They are your friends.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hemsky had a good stretch at the beginning of the year, but he's still a shell of what he used to be (although healthy finally).
He's on pace for 47 points in an 82 game season. That's not very good for him.

Tree444

Sep 11, 2008
So you justify Hemskys existence on this team by saying he is better then a fourth line center, a winger with one eye and a fighter...congratulations :handclap: I'm sold.:sarcasm:

I made only comparisons to compete level, not hockey skill. But since we're talking about hockey skill now, if we can agree that Hemskys at least the 6th best forward on this team hockey wise, why start the gutting of the Oilers with him??

Also, I think we're having a good hockey discussion, and that's all I came here to have. No need for snarkiness amongst fellow Oiler fans. Save that for the TML fans who think Kadri's better than Gagner;)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I made only comparisons to compete level, not hockey skill. But since we're talking about hockey skill now, if we can agree that Hemskys at least the 6th best forward on this team hockey wise, why start the gutting of the Oilers with him??

Also, I think we're having a good hockey discussion, and that's all I came here to have. No need for snarkiness amongst fellow Oiler fans. Save that for the TML fans who think Kadri's better than Gagner;)

You aren't gutting the oilers with him? He has been rendered obsolete by Yakupov. Having Hemsky on the bottom 6 for this team makes no sense because we need size and hitting down there since we don't have much up front.

Not hating on Hemskys skill, he has it but he is now out of the loop.

Tree444

Sep 11, 2008
You aren't gutting the oilers with him? He has been rendered obsolete by Yakupov. Having Hemsky on the bottom 6 for this team makes no sense because we need size and hitting down there since we don't have much up front.

Now there's a point of contention for a lot Oiler fans - where does hemsky fit on this team of skilled forwards moving on?

To your point about Yakupov-Eberle as the skill RW depth moving on (yikes that's awesome), Hemsky will clearly move down. However, I argue that Yakupov still needs the sheltering from Hemsky before he's ready to step into a greater role. We've seen him exposed several times in the NHL and even lose the confidence of his coach in key situations (to my chagrin). I'd prefer to have Hemsky take on that #2 RW role at least until the end of his contract, in which by then I hope to have Yak ready (and I really do believe in him)

And I should explain my 'gutting' comment - what I meant was that from the myriad of problems the Oilers have, Hemsky is very much the least of my worries :)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Now there's a point of contention for a lot Oiler fans - where does hemsky fit on this team of skilled forwards moving on?

To your point about Yakupov-Eberle as the skill RW depth moving on (yikes that's awesome), Hemsky will clearly move down. However, I argue that Yakupov still needs the sheltering from Hemsky before he's ready to step into a greater role. We've seen him exposed several times in the NHL and even lose the confidence of his coach in key situations (to my chagrin). I'd prefer to have Hemsky take on that #2 RW role at least until the end of his contract, in which by then I hope to have Yak ready (and I really do believe in him)

And I should explain my 'gutting' comment - what I meant was that from the myriad of problems the Oilers have, Hemsky is very much the least of my worries :)

I think Hemsky can be used to assist where Oilers need most (in 2 places) Bottom 6 or D.

Hemsky isn't that valuable so he won't get you much in the way of a Dman. He could get you some good bottom 6ers though.

Chef10

Aug 21, 2011
its funny how the world is expected of Hemmer, and this season he has been doing a good job providing offence and he still gets ripped on! i am a huge fan of his and i think he makes his mistakes and doesnt make the easy play sometimes when he should. But there is times he makes amazing plays and makes passes that make things alot easier for the other guys in the Ozone. I think maybe it is time for him to move on to get away from oil fans who just rip on him just cuz! and if he does get moved i hope he goes somewhere and lights it up so we can all say wow dont we look stupid!

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Ugh...

Hemsky's been very good this year. He's not the problem. That said, moving him could bring back the assets this team needs to fix the problems that do exist.

Honestly, it irks me that some of you are dumping on this guy so much. Sure, he had a sub-par season last year and has been injury prone, but this guy's legit when he's healthy and he's looking fit right now.

If you ignore last year and go back to 2005, he's been a 75-point player over pro-rated 82-game seasons. 331 points in 360 games. During this time, he's been the only guy who's been able to get Oilers fans out of their seats on a regular basis. And, even with the young core stepping in, he continues to generate excitement for the fans. Personally, I'm really thankful we've had Hemsky for so long and when he does get moved, I'll be a little sad even if it is for the better.

PS. OP, do yourself and everyone else a favour: Paragraphs. They are your friends.

Let's just ignore the last two and a half decades and bring back Kurri to take his place I hear he was good.:snide:

Hemsky is waste of time unless he is putting up near a point a game. As you mention those days are well behind he. He wasn't what we had hoped he would be. He is at best a Kristian Huselius. People have fallen in love with this guy because his solo rushes to nowhere have blinded them.

It's seriously time to move on. The only problem is no other teams like what they see. Seriously what can they get for this guy. What would you trade for a injury prone 50 point guy that is due 5.5 million next year? I'd say that is a tough sell.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Hemsky would be putting up some nice point totals if we had a dman or two that could really shoot the puck.

He has always been really good at getting the puck back to the point. When he circles around the net, the defense always collapses to the slot and he always looks for the trailing dman. He is still doing that a lot this year but instead of passing it to Souray/Visnovsky/Pronger, he is passing it to Fistric/Schultz/Smid.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Let's just ignore the last two and a half decades and bring back Kurri to take his place I hear he was good.:snide:
Hemsky is waste of time unless he is putting up near a point a game. As you mention those days are well behind he. He wasn't what we had hoped he would be. He is at best a Kristian Huselius. People have fallen in love with this guy because his solo rushes to nowhere have blinded them.

It's seriously time to move on. The only problem is no other teams like what they see. Seriously what can they get for this guy. What would you trade for a injury prone 50 point guy that is due 5.5 million next year? I'd say that is a tough sell.

The stats I quoted were from 2005-06 to 2010-11. 331 points in 360 games. Maybe use that fancy internet thing you apparently have (much to the dismay of the rest of the world) to do a little research. And Hemsky's all of 29... not exactly time to send him to the glue factory. :shakehead <-- Look! I found the emoticons too!

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
The stats I quoted were from 2005-06 to 2010-11. 331 points in 360 games. Maybe use that fancy internet thing you apparently have (much to the dismay of the rest of the world) to do a little research. And Hemsky's all of 29... not exactly time to send him to the glue factory. :shakehead <-- Look! I found the emoticons too!

I was making a legitimate suggestion as a replacement. Apparently someone can't handle the high stinky cheddar:clittle:

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Beautiful game-winning goal by Hemsky last night. Speed, skill, going hard to the net with traffic... Getting the fans out of their seats.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Hilarious. An 18 y.o. rookie has just rendered the only quality forward we have between the ages of 23 (Gagner) and 33 (Horcoff) obsolete?

tumblr_lufiybM0nd1qhauvh.gif

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Beautiful goal agreed. Also had a horrible giveaway to Anisimov on Atkinsons 2nd.

He also made a good play screening the goalie on the Potter goal. It's the sign of a good player to come back like that and make a difference.

I'm suprised he didn't get an assist on Paajarvi's goal as well. So one giveaway does suck but he was in on three goals for, i'd call it a fair tradeoff.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Beautiful goal agreed. Also had a horrible giveaway to Anisimov on Atkinsons 2nd.

Right after making a nice defensive play and intercepting a cross ice pass. Just needed to move up the ice quicker.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hemsky is a tremendous talent but he's definitely a follower, not a leader. All of the years playing on a piss poor team post-2006 coupled with his shoulder issues have really cut into his effectiveness. I can't help but think about what he could have accomplished on a good team over the same time span.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Hemsky is a tremendous talent but he's definitely a follower, not a leader. All of the years playing on a piss poor team post-2006 coupled with his shoulder issues have really cut into his effectiveness. I can't help but think about what he could have accomplished on a good team over the same time span.

I'd say he marches to the beat of his own drum. The fired-up Hemsky that we saw after his goal-causing giveaway was a glimmer of the old world-beater. I bet we see it more often as the season winds down.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Hemsky had a good stretch at the beginning of the year, but he's still a shell of what he used to be (although healthy finally).
He's on pace for 47 points in an 82 game season. That's not very good for him.

Its downright laffable for a guy who should be EASILY leading this team in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad