The Microcosm of Hemsky

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
You look at Ales Hemsky's game and you see a lot of whats wrong with the Edmonton Oilers. For years he has been over hyped and under delivered. For years it has been all flash and dash and no results. What can he do for you? I'd say he is one of the best in the league at rushing the puck from blue line to blue line while beating 2 guys in the process. Only to then cough if up with an ill timed pass, get rubbed out on the wall with little resistance or worse case resulting in a blue line turn over and the opposition jamming it right back down our throats. Does he shoot the puck? Rarely. Does he play it tough? Some would like to say so but seriously when is the last time he initiated a hit. Rushing down the wall and getting destroyed every time doesn't say you are tough. I rarely see him do the little things that are necessary to win games. This has to be an awful example to the young guys. This really shouldn't be a surprise considering his whole " I'm not a defensive player" bs he pulled when MacT was here. It's true he is awful in his own end I'll give him that. I'd love for him to just once hold his position on the wall and chip the puck to the neutral zone with a defenceman bearing down on him. His "patented" dump behind his own net to the opposition while watching with his thumb up his arse while they score isn't working. He has done that like three or four times this year!! How is that acceptable to anyone?! Much like the rest of the vets on this team he certainly isn't showing the way. I for one am growing tired of his act. The brilliant play you make every ten games isn't doing it for me anymore. Finally back to the toughness aspect. Did anyone else notice his fly by a few weeks ago when Jones was being clobbered by Benn? It happened right in front of him and he just put on the blinders and cruised on by. I'm not saying Ales Hemsky is going to go fill in Jamie Benn but come on man show something!!! That was disgusting and the team is certainly following that lead. They don't stick up for each other and its sad. It must be awful for mike brown being the only guy expected to respond to every physical challenge. There was a point where he was battling in front last night where he was surrounded by four Preds and zero help from his teammates who casually skated over after the refs had stepped in. It's pretty disgusting actually. Anyways I'm sick of typing so I'll leave it at that. Hemsky leaving would be a start. I see big changes this summer!! :help:

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Wow nice rant. I'm not even sure I want to reply...but here goes.

First of all I'm not sure why you need a whole thread for this. Secondly if you are expecting people to read your diatribe you should consider formatting. Add a few new lines....or maybe use bullet points for your key items.

Advanced stats show time and time again that Hemsky is moving the puck in the right direction. The triple H line has been playing against the heavies lately and outpeforming them. They couldn't do that if Hemsky was dragging his ass.

So far this year Hemsky is fourth in shots on goal and second in goals scored, despite less time on ice than Gagner, RNH, Hall, Eberle and Horcoff.

The whole team is averse to scrums in front of the net so it seems kind of silly to point out one player for it. That everyone is following his lead is a little surprising considering he's not the Captain. Maybe Horcoff should instead be to blame for a tendency to flyby.

Yes Mike Brown is scrappy but he's a sieve at even strength. I'd say he makes as many errors as Hemsky does, in far less ice-time.

I can understand the frustration at Hemsky's errors. When he makes them they're often glaring. That's often the case with highly skilled players. They're trying to make highly skilled plays at high speeds and the margin for error is slim. How many times have we seen hall go 1 on 1 with a defender and try that same move only to see the puck going back the other way? How often does Eberle turn the puck over trying to go around a defender? But overall these players are contributing to offence despite the glaring errors.

It may be that in order for the Oilers to improve they will have to move a player like Hemsky. But he's not part of the problem.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

First of all I'm not sure why you need a whole thread for this. Secondly if you are expecting people to read your diatribe you should consider formatting. Add a few new lines....or maybe use bullet points for your key items.

Advanced stats show time and time again that Hemsky is moving the puck in the right direction. The triple H line has been playing against the heavies lately and outpeforming them. They couldn't do that if Hemsky was dragging his ass.

So far this year Hemsky is fourth in shots on goal and second in goals scored, despite less time on ice than Gagner, RNH, Hall, Eberle and Horcoff.

The whole team is averse to scrums in front of the net so it seems kind of silly to point out one player for it. That everyone is following his lead is a little surprising considering he's not the Captain. Maybe Horcoff should instead be to blame for a tendency to flyby.

Yes Mike Brown is scrappy but he's a sieve at even strength. I'd say he makes as many errors as Hemsky does, in far less ice-time.

I can understand the frustration at Hemsky's errors. When he makes them they're often glaring. That's often the case with highly skilled players. They're trying to make highly skilled plays at high speeds and the margin for error is slim. How many times have we seen hall go 1 on 1 with a defender and try that same move only to see the puck going back the other way? How often does Eberle turn the puck over trying to go around a defender? But overall these players are contributing to offence despite the glaring errors.

It may be that in order for the Oilers to improve they will have to move a player like Hemsky. But he's not part of the problem.

Annnnnndddd this here is how it's done. +1. :handclap:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Aside from his stupid offsides, Hemsky has been pretty good this season.. Better than our big 4 for sure..

Most of what the OP used to describe Hemsky could be said for Hall as well.. Hall just skates a little faster but the rest has been pretty much the same..

This team is missing the killer instinct for some reason.. On paper we are much better than the teams we are losing to... STL\NSH\DET included.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Huh, I was trying to point out how Hemsky's weaknesses/strengths seem to mirror this team. Is that a coincidence? Maybe? You can pull out all the supposed advanced stats you want and I could come back with my own to refute yours but I won't because you know what they say about stats?!?! :sarcasm: Clearly Hemsky isn't the only problem here but he is definitely one of them. I don't think it's a coincidence that he was stripped of his "A" before the season. I think management is thinking along the same lines as I am. The only problem is they are stuck with him and hoping to god someone desperate steps up for him.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Huh, I was trying to point out how Hemsky's weaknesses/strengths seem to mirror this team. Is that a coincidence? Maybe? You can pull out all the supposed advanced stats you want and I could come back with my own to refute yours but I won't because you know what they say about stats?!?! :sarcasm: Clearly Hemsky isn't the only problem here but he is definitely one of them. I don't think it's a coincidence that he was stripped of his "A" before the season. I think management is thinking along the same lines as I am. The only problem is they are stuck with him and hoping to god someone desperate steps up for him.

yes they are stuck with him because we have so many others lined up to provide that secondary offense.. :sarcasm:

Is it also a coincidence that our new A's have been worse than our previous As? Curse of the letter perhaps? doesnt explain RNH's suckiness.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Hemsky is what? The only vet on F that is actually doing anything? Eberle, RNH, and Hall were expected to carry most of the offense this season but two of them are playing like dog ****.

He's playing fine. Some people just expect way too much from the guy.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Hemsky is what? The only vet on F that is actually doing anything? Eberle, RNH, and Hall were expected to carry most of the offense this season but two of them are playing like dog ****.

He's playing fine. Some people just expect way too much from the guy.

Same could be said about Eberle, he's outscoring Hemsky this season even though he's supposedly playing like *******.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Same could be said about Eberle, he's outscoring Hemsky this season even though he's supposedly playing like *******.

Well, he has been getting more minutes than Hemsky throughout the season yet he only has 2 more points, so ya, I still say he's been playing like ****.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
yes they are stuck with him because we have so many others lined up to provide that secondary offense.. :sarcasm:

Is it also a coincidence that our new A's have been worse than our previous As? Curse of the letter perhaps? doesnt explain RNH's suckiness.

Hall has been fine so not sure about assumption. As for RNH there can be a number of excuses for the lack of offensive production but his defensive game has been fine so I see an improvement there. I'm not worried about him. The kids will be fine and this team has enough top end skill which I want to see developed with Hemsky in another conference if possible. We need to cut away the cancer before the patient can progress.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I think Hemsky having the green light to take on two players by himself has trickled down the line-up. I would really like to see him and Smid packaged for a defensive upgrade. Long term this is the smartest option if a trade is out there. Smid is young enough to balance any risk with Hemsky. Together the two of them should bring back a noticeable upgrade in our top 4.

We have been so devoid of players in Edmonton mirages like Hemsky and Smid are overvalued.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Uh..Smid is one of the best pure shutdown dmen in the league and the stats say so as well.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I think Hemsky having the green light to take on two players by himself has trickled down the line-up. I would really like to see him and Smid packaged for a defensive upgrade. Long term this is the smartest option if a trade is out there. Smid is young enough to balance any risk with Hemsky. Together the two of them should bring back a noticeable upgrade in our top 4.

We have been so devoid of players in Edmonton mirages like Hemsky and Smid are overvalued.

Hemsky has his own set of rules and gives himself the green light to go one on four or whatever every game.

I agree though. Trade him.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY

What he said! :)

brodeur9

Jan 17, 2010
people are ridiculous, hemsky is still one of the best players on the team and it makes no sense at this point trading veterans that can still put up points (something the oilers are obviously lacking) unless they get the equivalent or better in return.

and people always under appreciate how much hemsky loves edmonton he would retire here if he could.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Uh..Smid is one of the best pure shutdown dmen in the league and the stats say so as well.

I would love to see stats back up this statement.

I'm going to assume you are referring to Staples 5v5 GAA diff. Smid plays on ice with the kids, and there has been a sharp increase in Smid's play by Staples numbers which correlates with the kids improved play.

Correlation does not equal causation. Leading the league in blocked shots is also not necessarily a good thing.

Smid is a good #4 and an underrated pest. He's our second best defenseman, but on most teams he is fighting for a top 4 position. Your post proves why we should be trying to offload him for an upgrade; A defensive dman that can play 2/3, which Smid can't

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
people are ridiculous, hemsky is still one of the best players on the team and it makes no sense at this point trading veterans that can still put up points (something the oilers are obviously lacking) unless they get the equivalent or better in return.

and people always under appreciate how much hemsky loves edmonton he would retire here if he could.

What if you traded him for other veterans? I don't think anyone is suggesting trading him for futures. We need help now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO you deal him, get what you can and live with a top 6 of:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Get bigger/tougher in the bottom 6 in the offseason and things start looking a whole lot better for this team going forward.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I agree. If the oilers could pull off an upgrade like this I'd be all for it. We have to stop playing guys too high in the lineup because they start to think they are that guy and want to be paid like that guy. Hemsky, Smid, Jones, Horcoff....just a few examples of guys forced to play too high in the line up on a bad team. They then want to be paid like front line players on good teams. Management needs to draw a line in the sand some place.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
IMO you deal him, get what you can and live with a top 6 of:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Get bigger/tougher in the bottom 6 in the offseason and things start looking a whole lot better for this team going forward.

Totally agree, we would still show immaturity at times which would result in more poor puck management and defensive lapses that would be blamed on coaching, but an experienced bottom 6 and defense would shelter the coach, fans and players from the mounted frustration we are all feeling.

This was entirely our management's approach to rebuilding. They thought they would add pieces when the kids became superstars.:help:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What if you traded him for other veterans? I don't think anyone is suggesting trading him for futures. We need help now

Or we do it a little differently, deal him for futures when futures are most likely to be moved (TD) and then move those futures at the draft when their value goes up? Deal them for veterans that fit our team needs better than Hemsky does at this point. I'm talking a Troy Brouwer or JM Liles type draft day trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->