The Michael Ryder Thread

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
A bit more size and leadership on this team would not hurt.

So far most of the acquisition made by Bergevin are Therrien's choices: Bouillon, Armstrong, and now Ryder. I hope the next one will be Crosby...

mqdefault.jpg

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
And any player that comes here and reads what is posted, risks
something similar to "mad cow desaise" Only more horrible.

I was not trying mock mad cow desaise! For those people who have it, I sincerly apologize. How many of our players have it?

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
As long as he doesn't make too many turnovers and cost us goals i'll be happy. He won't be back next year anyway i'm 70% sure.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
No one saying is a bust. But Ryder is Ryder. Don't get your hopes too high.

My hopes are pretty simple. 14-16 minutes a game, good enough forechecking, very good playmaking, occasional goal scoring bunches.

Anyone deciding on Ryder's potential for the Canadiens based on his game against the Leafs or his last work with the Canadiens in 07-08 are just proving themselves to be morons.

Habtchum*

My hopes are pretty simple. 14-16 minutes a game, good enough forechecking, very good playmaking, occasional goal scoring bunches.

Anyone deciding on Ryder's potential for the Canadiens based on his game against the Leafs or his last work with the Canadiens in 07-08 are just proving themselves to be morons.

Ryder has not changed that much in the last 4 years. He is not physical nor a leader.
Yes, he,s gonna do his job fine, no doubt. But he won't replace Cole's size and grit. Both can score the same amount of goals anyway. Cole is a better skater on top of that. Just happened he was too expensive and took forever to take off.

The best fit for the Habs is not a Ryder type of player. That's all I am saying.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Ryder has not changed that much in the last 4 years. He is not physical nor a leader.
Yes, he,s gonna do his job fine, no doubt. But he won't replace Cole's size and grit. Both can score the same amount of goals anyway. Cole is a better skater on top of that. Just happened he was too expensive and took forever to take off.

The best fit for the Habs is not a Ryder type of player. That's all I am saying.

Ryder forechecks a lot more than anyone here gives him credit for. I've actually watched him in games with Dallas and Boston, and not just ones where he played against the Habs.

He has better hands than Cole and a better shot than Cole. He doesn't drive to the net better but Cole looks to be regressing. Everyone feared what to do with Cole once he was in year three or year four. Bergevin traded him while he still had value.

I don't blame anyone for missing Cole as a power forward but an executive decision needed to be made and the right one was made. Ryder is a stop gap. He still provides the team considerable depth. If Bergevin plans to dip into free agency in 2013 or 2014 he has far better selection than an aging Erik Cole. This is why I'm happy with Marc Bergevin. He makes decisions couch GMs would never make.

Charon

Jul 24, 2008
Ryder was basically invisible on Wednesday. Even though that was his first game (no practice, no sleep, etc.), I think that we can safely assume that will be the case for most games. When Ryder isn't scoring, he's generally not helping the team.

I know that Ryder will put together some scoring streaks this year, but I still think Cole > Ryder if you want to have a team that is tough to play against.

This move seems to me to be more of a salary dump than anything, as it seems contrary to Therrien and Bergevin's idea of being tough to play against.

Ryder's gotta score some 10-12 goals in his ~28 games with the habs to make up for the stuff he doesn't bring that Cole does bring.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Not going to use the last game as of an example. I expected him to look lost.. new teammates.. new system and new speed.

I'll judge in a few games.
Anyway.. I don't expect him to kill penalties or back check aggressively. I expect him to score.

Most should too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not going to use the last game as of an example. I expected him to look lost.. new teammates.. new system and new speed.

I'll judge in a few games.
Anyway.. I don't expect him to kill penalties or back check aggressively. I expect him to score.

Most should too.

If he doesn't swarm like the rest of the team, that will create a defensive vulnerablilty

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Watching the game I remembered exactly what kind of player he is. Invinsible for the whole game but somehow scored two goals in that game. Doesnt do anything the whole year but ends up with 35 goals.

A one tricky pony, but as someone else pointed out, good thing that one trick is scoring goals which is a pretty big deal in the sport of hockey.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
What does Ryder remember of Montreal ?

«Ah ouais, Verdun. Ce sont de vieux souvenirs, a-t-il résumé. Je me rappelle du gars qui avait sauté sur la patinoire une fois. Il s’appelait Raphaël, je crois.»

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What does Ryder remember of Montreal ?

«Ah ouais, Verdun. Ce sont de vieux souvenirs, a-t-il résumé. Je me rappelle du gars qui avait sauté sur la patinoire une fois. Il s’appelait Raphaël, je crois.»

Ryder learned French while in Boston & Dallas? One smart cookie.

:sarcasm:

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I'd be expecting around 10-13 goals for Ryder, he can do it, proved it last year. But for sure, it will definitely take a few games to get going, needs to adjust to the new system.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd be expecting around 10-13 goals for Ryder, he can do it, proved it last year. But for sure, it will definitely take a few games to get going, needs to adjust to the new system.

I'm just afraid that this is a system he CAN'T adjust to because it takes attributes he hasn't shown me yet. I hope I'm wrong.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Originally, I was not a MR fan because I felt he was only a one-trick pony, but I've somewhat changed my thinking.

He may not be the large body we want crashing the net, but he is a sniper who has shown can score goals. Perhaps the trade is a wash as far as results, but the big plus is the freedom we get for next year's cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad