The Menu 18th Edition The Daymond Lankow/ Surrounded by Ahos Steak Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Surrounded By Ahos I'm gonna be in the Raleigh area in a few weeks - any recommendations on food or drink?

Another vote for Angus Barn if you promise not to order anything well done. That's out by the airport.

Downtown I can vouch for Crawford & Son, Garland, and Poole's. Big Ed's for breakfast.

If you get up to Durham, Elmo's is the local breakfast spot. Chicken Hut is a soul food place that's been around forever. If you're feeling adventurous, try Zweli's.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
View attachment 450577

Again, since it’s hotter than balls in the DelVal, went for a light dinner. Marinated swordfish steak, asparagus and watermelon salad.

Fish was done in some olive oil, lemon zest, rosemary and red pepper flakes.

watermelon salad is great for the summer and easy. Watermelon, lime juice, basil and feta cheese to add that salt.

May I ask where is the marinade ??

Reactions: Lord Defect

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Another vote for Angus Barn if you promise not to order anything well done. That's out by the airport.

Downtown I can vouch for Crawford & Son, Garland, and Poole's. Big Ed's for breakfast.

If you get up to Durham, Elmo's is the local breakfast spot. Chicken Hut is a soul food place that's been around forever. If you're feeling adventurous, try Zweli's.

I was unaware you were familiar with the area, but I should have known better. It's Jojos world, were just living in it.

Much appreciated, sir!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey, there's lettuce in there.
True. I’ll have a salad for lunch too.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
@Surrounded By Ahos I'm gonna be in the Raleigh area in a few weeks - any recommendations on food or drink?

Fiction Kitchen

Agree with the restaurant selections by @Surrounded By Ahos and @JojoTheWhale. Most of the AC Restaurants are solid--Poole's was mentioned. I'm also fond of Garland. Bida Manda is pretty good as well.

As for drink, I agree that you should check out Raleigh Beer Garden. Trophy Brewing is also a decent spot to visit. If you like cocktails and whiskey, this one's a wildcard since it's in a bit of a sleepy location: Blind Barbour.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I was unaware you were familiar with the area, but I should have known better. It's Jojos world, were just living in it.

Much appreciated, sir!

You keep picking good cities. I really don't know that many. :laugh:

I had an ex that lived down there and I used to be a massive UNC basketball fan, so I was in Chapel Hill, Durham, and Winston-Salem for games frequently. It's a nice area. Seems like a great place to live tbh.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Oh boy. That's a fun question. So many choices.

For fast food, 0bviously try Bojangles if you haven't had it before. The Cajun Filet Biscuit Combo is a little slice of heaven on earth. Just make sure to get unsweet tea.

If you do go drinking, hitting up Cookout after is basically a rite of passage. A cookout tray will provide you with all sorts of food and a fantastic milkshake for like $6. Waffle House is also acceptable, but tends to be significantly more sketchy.

There's also a local chain called Guasaca which sells arepas, which are basically pancakes that are sliced open and filled with meat. They are quite delicious.

For a real sit-down meal, I'd check out Caffe Luna which is a fantastic little Italian place downtown or Relish, which is a bit to the north, and has a pretty wide range of food and drink, plus their have a constantly rotating test menu that always has something fun on it.

There's also a local legend called Player's Retreat, and while I've never actually eaten there, I've heard it's amazing. They grind their own beef in house so it's possible to order a burger rare :)

As far as wetting you whistle, we've got a World of Beer and a Yard House, but I'd skip those and hit the Raleigh Beer Garden if possible. They have a ludicrous selection of beer. Just look at it: Raleigh Beer Garden: Beer Menu

The Flying Saucer is also a fun place to check out.

My personal favorite sports bar is called the Brickhouse, although I haven't been in ages due to Covid.

I haven't been since it just opened, but I feel like you're pretty obligated to go to Bates Battaglia's new bar, Teets, which I think I mentioned here.

Boxcar is a barcade which is a lot of fun.

Of course, the crown jewel of food in the area is the Angus Barn. It's truly an experience. On top of their dining rooms, they have a lounge for eating/drinking and a lounge for smoking cigars. It's a bit on the expensive side, but holy hell is it worth it. They do a fantastic job of balancing being upscale and homey. I cannot recommend it enough.
Another vote for Angus Barn. When a company I worked for had an office in Raleigh we couldn't leave the area until the Office VP took us there for a dinner.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You keep picking good cities. I really don't know that many. :laugh:

I had an ex that lived down there and I used to be a massive UNC basketball fan, so I was in Chapel Hill, Durham, and Winston-Salem for games frequently. It's a nice area. Seems like a great place to live tbh.

I blame work more than anything since thats why I'm going, haha. I was down there for a wedding a couple years back and it did seem like a nice place, I won't lie.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad